Omar

Gypsy Ram

he wasn't that bad for large parts of the game! He had zero support in front of him today in the form of Bryson and Hendrick, Hendrick who was absolutely missing the entire half - probably the worst player on the day in my eyes.

We missed the calmness that Eustace would've brought, which he has through experience. We were rattled second half and unfortunately for Omar he's technically gifted, but doesn't have that ability to take a game by the scruff of its neck like Eustace does. (He doesn't yet, anyway.)

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

once again, people overlook the awful decision by Keogh to go to ground whilst tamely clearing for their equaliser! Forsyth was equally inept, yet Mascarell cannot retrieve a shoulder high ball on the half way line and is somehow to blame!!

******!

I don't think it's good to point fingers as we defend as a team.

However you point the finger at Keogh, yet fail to mention Mascarell ducked out of the header on the cross allowing the ball into a dangerous area in the box. There were other mistakes from other players as well. 

As I said we defend as a team. 

He lacks know how for the role due to his inexperience which does tend to cost us goals, he also lacks tenacity in the tackle (Eustace would have crunched their bloke on the half way line and that would have stopped the attack whereas he went in very half heartedly and suddenly they were through on Keogh who didn't close the shot down fast enough).

He is a good footballer but unsuited to this particular role in the English game, as you can see by the goals against column when he plays, when heading he jumps into the player, the free kick where they equalised it was a silly push and then again Keogh had chance to clear it getting his foot to the ball but just poked it about a foot in front of him.

Well said.

He's not awful, he's just not suited to CDM in this division. We are now going to struggle till Eustace or Thorne are back, not sure what the answer is. 

Totally agree

However, if we continue to play the same formation with Omar as the holding player, we won't make the playoffs. We know that Mascarell, Hughes and Hendrick can't play there, and the two players know that can won't be back for at least six weeks, so maybe try Shotton, Warnock or Ssewankambo. Failing that, get a short term loan in.

Love affair over

I don't like singling out players for criticism as a rule, but in particular when it's a new player and/or a young player learning his trade, and even more in particular when the player doesn't deserve it.

Personally thought Mascarell held his own today, without being spectacular, and being one of the few to show desire and passion to get the ball. If people want to single someone out, how's about our captain who cannot keep a calm and composed head in important games. His lack of concentration and poor decision making is costing goals in big games. He's not a young kid or a new player, he's our experienced captain for sausage sake!

Send him back. He's awful.

'Awful' is a word I would use to describe Hendrick and Bryson today - and Keogh, for that matter.

'Bullied', 'lightweight' or 'naive' is more suited to Mascarell's performance.

He's not awful, he's just not suited to CDM in this division. We are now going to struggle till Eustace or Thorne are back, not sure what the answer is. 

Bucko.

It doesn't matter what the question is - the answer is always Bucko.

Don't understand this criticism of Mascarelle today, but I suppose we need a scapegoat.

Him and Hughes were our best players in the first half, along with Russell.

Hendrick and Bryson were completely missing second half and you can't expect one player to control the midfield on his own.

I think even the magical Eustace would have struggled.

The problem for me is why we needed to go hoofing the ball upfield with 91 minutes on the clock and give possession back to the opponents.

Just keep hold of the ball.

Don't understand this criticism of Mascarelle today, but I suppose we need a scapegoat.

Hendrick and Bryson were completely missing second half and you can't expect one player to control the midfield on his own.

The problem for me is why we needed to go hoofing the ball upfield with 91 minutes on the clock and give possession back to the opponents.

You'd like the Keogh thread, we're scapegoating him in there.

What he said...

He needed to put that tackle in at the end which led to their winning goal, that's part of his job as central defensive midfielder, he can pass and move and generally does that well, but doesn't do the things he needs to do in the particular role he plays, that's why some seem to think he's done OK and he would probably be better suited to a more offensive role.

Plus there is a lack of leadership and would rather get a gnarled midfield general on loan from the league below if it gets us over the line, as someone said you don't need to be a great player to fit the bill, just someone who can organise and has got the nous to be in the right position at the right time and has a bit of grit about him, not some raw young kid learning the role unless we want to stay where we are for another season or two yet. I have money riding on it this season!

Archived