Omar

Gypsy Ram

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

bullsausage. The ball was shoulder high on the opposite side of the opponents body and bouncing away. a) Eustace wouldn't be able to get his leg that high, b) He'd have been sent off for a second yellow for trying to.

The ball was actually just off the floor, nowhere near anyones shoulder, just watched it again off Sky+.

Also Christie was way out of position for no apparent reason as the ball had just been kicked downfield by Grant so he has to take some blame too, though Mascarells challenge was probably tame because he had already been booked to be fair and had just pulled out of another one prior to that. The commentator says "Mascarell loses out" or something to that effect but his general play as I said was OK he just lacks the nous and tenacity for what he need at the moment unless we want another season in this division.

The first goal having watched again have no idea why Keogh fell on the floor as theres no one near him, he just lets the ball dribble off his boot and drops down, very poor indeed.

I suggested a one month loan a few days back for cover but I was ridiculed. I still stand by it.

I certainly wouldn't ridicule you over it. I think the CDM position is too important to mess around with. The question is, would we be able to get in the sort of player we need?

What I find interesting is that people are so quick to point out that Mascarell is the weak link but somehow expect Thorne to return from injury and produce far and above this standard.

Have we really seen enough of Thorne to know that he is going to shine where Mascarell is failing, especially after such a horrific and lengthy injury? As fantastic a player he could become, the way people carry on as though Thorne's the complete midfielder who can do no wrong, when he himself has only played 10-12 games for the club, is a little baffling to me.

He is an exciting young player who had an impressive loan spell. But you could argue that there couldn't have been a better time for him to come into the side than when he did. It was the spring and we were winning games and playing with the kind of style, consistency, confidence and authority that we haven't quite yet replicated this season. More than that, there was a freedom to our play that we don't have when we are saddled with the expectations of being champions-elect.

People are quick to forget it wasn't exactly smooth sailing when Thorne played in the side either - we lost away at Ipswich, Middlesbrough and of course, in the play-off final versus QPR - but he wasn't scapegoated in the same way that Omar often is.

For me, anyone who is expecting Mascarell or Thorne for that matter to come in and dominate midfield week in, week out has a loosened grip on reality. They are young players, they are far from the finished article and they are going to make mistakes and bad decisions. It's an occupational hazard in a position of such responsibility. Not even the top defensive midfielders out there were immune at 21-22.

To those who are adamant that Mascarell can't cut the cake, has Thorne been tested enough to know he can too? Surely it takes more than 10-15 games to judge a player's effectiveness in a role? Surely you need to see how a player reacts to adversity as well as how they play when the team's brimming with confidence?

I fully expect that even a fully-fit Thorne would have struggled out there today with Bryson and Hendrick in front of him, with both of them once again showing they go missing when we are up against it.

Top post, must have taken a long time. Was it a school project? But I agree. Thorn is a quality CDM but he has not had to play when the whole midfield went missing. But still can't wait until he returns. He has an arrogance and confidence in his own ability.

In the mean time lets give Omar some support, because we need him to play well..

I have to say that I think Omar was badly let down today by his fellow, non-existent midfield players. He didn't hide, tried to be physical, but just isn't really a physical presence like Eustace is. Bryson and Hendrick in particular were awful second half and left Omar completely exposed. How many times did a forest player get the ball with only Omar ahead of them of our midfield players? I don't think he is the answer, but today was not his fault!

I'd rather get someone from the lower leagues in the Eustace type of mould, surely there must be someone available on loan for at least a month, they don't have to be a fancy dan just someone who can get stuck in and do the simple things, let the other plays play. That's when we get out most effective results as it fits the team formation best.

'Awful' is a word I would use to describe Hendrick and Bryson today - and Keogh, for that matter.

'Bullied', 'lightweight' or 'naive' is more suited to Mascarell's performance.

Absolutely agree with this. I was at the game today and I actually forgot Bryson was out there. He is a shadow of the player he was last season, absolutely no influence or creativity, and with Hendrick running round like a headless chicken it was nailed on that once Hughes went off Forest would come back into it.

Quite worrying that we are so reliant on one creative midfielder to make the rest of the midfield tick.

Bryson and Hendrick played better last season for sure, plus their goal returns were better I seem to remember. Bryson still seems to be running everywhere but for some reason the ball doesn't fall to him so often, his passing was a bit off today, while Hendrick looked as if he was on tranquilisers, very out of sorts. I actually have given Omar more marks than either of them in the ratings so I am not having it that I am scapegoating him, but I think an experienced head in the middle would be more beneficial to the team at the moment, looking around at some of the others actions.

Bryson and Hendrick played better last season for sure, plus their goal returns were better I seem to remember. Bryson still seems to be running everywhere but for some reason the ball doesn't fall to him so often, his passing was a bit off today, while Hendrick looked as if he was on tranquilisers, very out of sorts. I actually have given Omar more marks than either of them in the ratings so I am not having it that I am scapegoating him, but I think an experienced head in the middle would be more beneficial to the team at the moment, looking around at some of the others actions.

Thats a very fair post IMO

Its right that people are identifying the midfield as the reason we lost today but the sole cause of that is not Mascarell.

I'm still struggling to work out exactly what Bryson did today - he was utterly anonymous apart from constantly giving the ball away in the second half. Hendrick was marginally better but not by much - his main problem was drifting out of position.

Frankly, we looked lost after Hughes went off. Like last week he was dictating play & its no coincidence that after he went off, Forest started to impose themselves on the game. What I found immensely frustrating was the total inability of the midfield to hold onto the ball - when the opposition are in the ascendancy (as Forest clearly were), the obvious thing to do is to slow the game down & keep possession. Instead we let our emotions get the better of us & tried to go for the jugular - it was very costly.

As to Mascarell himself, I thought he did OK throughout the match but like others was found wanting in the final stages. He can play DM if we are dominating possession & looking to break a team down but I would venture that he isn't ideal when on the back foot. That said, the midfield must play as a unit & he was entitled to a lot more support, in terms of ball retention & defensive covering, than he got from Bryson & Hendrick.

Seeing lots of people criticising the management for not addressing our issues in midfield, but I've not seen anyone suggest a convincing alternative from the options we had on the bench.

The players go out on the pitch and they should know their jobs, and know them in different situations. There is only so much a manager or coach can do on the touchline in the middle of a game. Van Gaal doesn't even bother.

The players let us down today. Bryson and Hendrick were making stupid runs because they both wanted to score the winner. Despite Forest obviously being on top, the full-backs went walkabouts in all sorts of strange positions leaving Omar completely exposed, and Keogh was guilty of playing the occasion and you expect better from your captain.

When Hughes went, we lost our only player who seemed willing to calm it down and play. Then we went into that "what the bloody hell is this white round thing?" thing that we did in the second half at Boro and put an imaginary extra 12 inches on the height of Chris Martin.

Bullshit, he just takes the wrong option evertime. He can't still be nervous?!?!?!?

"DCFC Supporters Group Dictator in the Arab world" 

- that made me laugh :) 

You know, Mascarell has glaring weaknesses for a DM in this division. He was decent first half.

But in that second half he was turned around and bent over while 3,4 Forest lads all had a go at him.

He had 3 choices in that second half.

1) go to the man on the ball

2) go to the man the ball will go to if he was to go to the man on the ball

3) retreat to Keogh and Buxton and try to park the bus.

Bryson and Hendrick gave him no other choices.

They know he struggles getting physical. They saw the huge space he was having to defend.

And they carried on doing what they were doing

If I was Mascarell I'd have booted the pair of them. Leaving him exposed like that. For saying he's not the best DM you'll ever see, he doesn't constantly do that to the players he's protecting. He has mad moments but they don't last 45 minutes!!

I think he needs a partner DM or he needs to push a case for starting further forward. He's not a lone DM.

He's not a poor player imo. Just he's not quite right. And then Hendrick and Bryson sold him

Hughes is so clever. So good. Best Rams midfielder. He might not be a headline grabber but he gives all his teammates so much more to work with.

And Hughes got injured early on I think? Sullivan came out to talk to him

Top post, must have taken a long time. Was it a school project? But I agree. Thorn is a quality CDM but he has not had to play when the whole midfield went missing. But still can't wait until he returns. He has an arrogance and confidence in his own ability.

In the mean time lets give Omar some support, because we need him to play well..

usually SkyTV repeat the games, so feel free to watch again. Mascarell got stuck in and showed desire and aggression. Arguably one of Derby's better players today.

Agreed. First half he was moving the ball about quite well with some one-touch passing - nothing spectacular but good enough. Second half he was trying to stem a tide.

The continued bouts of head tennis exposed his heading weakness. Why we decided that would be a successful tactic against 2 lumps like Wilson and Hobbs i don't know.

I haven't seen Hendrick play well since Wolves and Bryson since Watford.

Archived