Omar

Gypsy Ram

He lacks know how for the role due to his inexperience which does tend to cost us goals, he also lacks tenacity in the tackle (Eustace would have crunched their bloke on the half way line and that would have stopped the attack whereas he went in very half heartedly and suddenly they were through on Keogh who didn't close the shot down fast enough).

He is a good footballer but unsuited to this particular role in the English game, as you can see by the goals against column when he plays, when heading he jumps into the player, the free kick where they equalised it was a silly push and then again Keogh had chance to clear it getting his foot to the ball but just poked it about a foot in front of him.

Oh Eustace woukd have crunched the bloke.. You can see that eh?

Stupid statement.

Can i have the Lotto numbers please?

Geeez

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I find interesting is that people are so quick to point out that Mascarell is the weak link but somehow expect Thorne to return from injury and produce far and above this standard.

Have we really seen enough of Thorne to know that he is going to shine where Mascarell is failing, especially after such a horrific and lengthy injury? As fantastic a player he could become, the way people carry on as though Thorne's the complete midfielder who can do no wrong, when he himself has only played 10-12 games for the club, is a little baffling to me.

He is an exciting young player who had an impressive loan spell. But you could argue that there couldn't have been a better time for him to come into the side than when he did. It was the spring and we were winning games and playing with the kind of style, consistency, confidence and authority that we haven't quite yet replicated this season. More than that, there was a freedom to our play that we don't have when we are saddled with the expectations of being champions-elect.

People are quick to forget it wasn't exactly smooth sailing when Thorne played in the side either - we lost away at Ipswich, Middlesbrough and of course, in the play-off final versus QPR - but he wasn't scapegoated in the same way that Omar often is.

For me, anyone who is expecting Mascarell or Thorne for that matter to come in and dominate midfield week in, week out has a loosened grip on reality. They are young players, they are far from the finished article and they are going to make mistakes and bad decisions. It's an occupational hazard in a position of such responsibility. Not even the top defensive midfielders out there were immune at 21-22.

To those who are adamant that Mascarell can't cut the cake, has Thorne been tested enough to know he can too? Surely it takes more than 10-15 games to judge a player's effectiveness in a role? Surely you need to see how a player reacts to adversity as well as how they play when the team's brimming with confidence?

I fully expect that even a fully-fit Thorne would have struggled out there today with Bryson and Hendrick in front of him, with both of them once again showing they go missing when we are up against it.

I can only remember Mascarell ever putting  about one tackle in ever to be honest, against Southport.

Not saying I don't like him and think there is a future for him higher up the pitch but if you think he can play this role I think it will end in tears.

I am totally convinced of it, he wouldn't have gone in like a Christmas fairy anyways!

bullsausage. The ball was shoulder high on the opposite side of the opponents body and bouncing away. a) Eustace wouldn't be able to get his leg that high, b) He'd have been sent off for a second yellow for trying to.

Archived