Tattoo

AmericanRam

Lol yeah maybe I shoyldn't take it personally. I just think of the looks I get in my workplace (full of vip's, mostly male) and first they see my tattoo, then look down their nose at me as if I've got 2 heads. I feel like saying, 'err yes, it is a tattoo. So what?'

Some people act wierd when they know you have one, particulaly if you work in a posh place and are surrounded by suits, it becomes almost as if you're to be avoided. It's very wierd.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol yeah maybe I shoyldn't take it personally. I just think of the looks I get in my workplace (full of vip's, mostly male) and first they see my tattoo, then look down their nose at me as if I've got 2 heads. I feel like saying, 'err yes, it is a tattoo. So what?'

Some people act wierd when they know you have one, particulaly if you work in a posh place and are surrounded by suits, it becomes almost as if you're to be avoided. It's very wierd.

But the thing is, men suffer the same problem, I can assure you. It isn't because you're a woman with a tattoo, it's just the tattoo bit. And even then that is just some people that act that way. Most people couldn't care less if you have a tattoo.

But you are right, tattoos aren't the problem, snobs are the problem. 

I have a friend, she's just finished Uni to be a dentist nurse and working part time voluntery work in a dentist now, has tattoo's on her wrists so can only work in private dentists now, NHS dentists won't touch her because of them. Nothing offensive, just flowers, with dates and a pocket watch. I do have sympathy for her but you really have to think about these things and the impact they may have on your career.

Could be the most amazing meaningful tattoo ever, but it's still a tattoo and still limits your job opportunities if it's visible.

Makes me laugh tbh, in football they are trying to get the Rooney rule in, forcing companies (clubs) to interview people based on their skin colour yet the NHS won't touch you if you have some body art on your skin.

But the thing is, men suffer the same problem, I can assure you. It isn't because you're a woman with a tattoo, it's just the tattoo bit. And even then that is just some people that act that way. Most people couldn't care less if you have a tattoo. But you are right, tattoos aren't the problem, snobs are the problem.

Some good posts Tombo, on what is a personal subject. Daveo makes some very good points on this too, particularly the last posting. Ladyram's last post is quite revealing too; she wants to tell a few of her workplace clients where to poke it because she is happy with her skin, and in her skin, but knows she must bite her tongue because her job is important to her. I suppose given my age and business background my concern is that too many young people are unaware of the consequences of having tattoos that they may come to hate cosmetically in many years to come, or even sooner in work environments. As I was typing this the wife showed me a story in the Sun today ( must be true! ) where a teaching assistant was banned by her school on her first day because she had a tattoo ( a quite ugly tattoo in my view) clearly visible on her neck. ... And in a roundabout way this brings me back to your 'snobs are the problem' comment. Snobs I don think are the problem, you can deal with snobs in many ways. Bosses are the main issue; the examples Daveo and I have given, and my experience of white collar working generally, suggests that having unconcealed tattoos is not great for the career in the long run.

Some good posts Tombo, on what is a personal subject. Daveo makes some very good points on this too, particularly the last posting. Ladyram's last post is quite revealing too; she wants to tell a few of her workplace clients where to poke it because she is happy with her skin, and in her skin, but knows she must bite her tongue because her job is important to her. I suppose given my age and business background my concern is that too many young people are unaware of the consequences of having tattoos that they may come to hate cosmetically in many years to come, or even sooner in work environments. As I was typing this the wife showed me a story in the Sun today ( must be true! ) where a teaching assistant was banned by her school on her first day because she had a tattoo ( a quite ugly tattoo in my view) clearly visible on her neck. ... And in a roundabout way this brings me back to your 'snobs are the problem' comment. Snobs I don think are the problem, you can deal with snobs in many ways. Bosses are the main issue; the examples Daveo and I have given, and my experience of white collar working generally, suggests that having unconcealed tattoos is not great for the career in the long run.

Very valid points mate especially about tats in the workplace.A friend of mine graduated from Stanford which is a great school but could not get the job he wanted due to employers frowning at his ink.

As I stated Vic has one and I have beej thinking of getting one on my bicep.As an 'online' teacher does not matter if I have a tat,but employers do frown as you said.

I think they all look ***** and either like some sort of meat head (St. George cross/bulldog/football club badges type things) or a total nob ('tribal', Chinese writing, Arabic scripts, those homo as f*ck 'sleeves').

As for women with them... they are ugly as hell. Cheryl Cole is down to a 5/10 now she's got that stupid thing on her back.

The design and skill that the artists have is great, but I am not a fan at all and would never even consider parting with

As I was typing this the wife showed me a story in the Sun today ( must be true! ) where a teaching assistant was banned by her school on her first day because she had a tattoo ( a quite ugly tattoo in my view) clearly visible on her neck. ...

Here she is. That would frighten a young child. She shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a school.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRgI9wZJtVSczEKEKWxYggVWI39TxvunFxgk9-J0DDdpSzVzRup

Rightly or wrongly it is...how on earth did she think a school would accept that? was she not educated enough herself to realise that this would cause problems in her career? it's not just the tattoo but the piercings alone would cause problems.

I'm not even going to guess what the tattoo is........ok I will, is it an eye looking out of a teepee?

Certain workplaces will not accept those with tats.Some may find it wrong,but that is just the way it is.If your profession is such that you will be dealing with impressionable young children and you have sleeve tats or any at all, kids could be affected by that but only if you let them be.

I for one also feel their is a flip-side to the argument:Just because someone got a tat at a young age,does that mean they should be ostracized from certain jobs the rest of their life? I do not think so.

Tats are a form of expression and if people do not like them,it is their business.I for one have a few friends with ink and they are some of the nicest guys you would ever want to meet.

Piercings are another.Admittedly those who get tons look stupid tbh,but again does not make them ****** imo.It is how they express themselves.

Our body is our's to do with as we please.

Ive got a fair few. I jumped on the Chinese symbol band wagon in the 00's. And re tribal pattern band wagon, although I ended up having that extended to something pretty awesome. I totally get what Daveo'so on about with the trends.

The best ones are totally original, unique ones. Worth taking your time, and spending a big of money to have something unique designed for you, better than simply picking something off the books in the shop.

I have 'Made in England' tattooed on the sole of my foot, simply to see how much it would hurt. Answer: a lot.

I was quite tempted to have 'may contain nuts' tattled on my ball sack too. But then I got married, and as she's the only one ever likely to see it, the joke would probably wear thin after a couple of looks, and I'd have to reduce myself to sipping it out at posh dinner parties to get my money's worth.

Any 20 something's who are still on the weekly pull have my permission to nick that idea though. It'd be hilarious.

I was quite tempted to have 'may contain nuts' tattled on my ball sack too. But then I got married, and as she's the only one ever likely to see it, the joke would probably wear thin after a couple of looks, and I'd have to reduce myself to sipping it out at posh dinner parties to get my money's worth.

I'm not posting naked pics as it's against the forum rules but if you was to scroll down through the photos on the shitats account on twitter there is one just for you

https://twitter.com/ShitTats/media

You know, it's odd, but there's a couple of us who have tats on the inside of our wrists, others on their arms. But yet we're only allowed to wear short sleeve polo tops. If it's cold, tough, no cardys allowed anyway, so you couldn't cover them up even if you wanted to - I think it's not our managers who are fussed, it's the executives but they have no say in our uniforms. They don't even say hello half the time.

Anyway iram, apologies for my rant. X

You know, it's odd, but there's a couple of us who have tats on the inside of our wrists, others on their arms. But yet we're only allowed to wear short sleeve polo tops. If it's cold, tough, no cardys allowed. So I think it's not our managers who are fussed, it's the executives. They don't even say hello half the time.

Anyway iram, apologies for my rant. X

No need to apologise Ladyram. I am sorry you took it personally initially . When I met you I didn't see your tattoos. Just saw a nice women who made me feel welcome in her pub.

Here she is. That would frighten a young child. She shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a school.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRgI9wZJtVSczEKEKWxYggVWI39TxvunFxgk9-J0DDdpSzVzRup

She must have got through an interview to be on her first day of work. So is it fair to ban her when someone had offered her the job having seen her.

No need to apologise Ladyram. I am sorry you took it personally initially . When I met you I didn't see your tattoos. Just saw a nice women who made me feel welcome in her pub.

Wish it was my pub, but bless ya, I'll buy ya a pint :-)

See now we're starting to agree on some common ground!  :)

Our bodies are ours to do with what we please, but there can be consequences with other people, such as from bosses at work, from that. That is especially true with tattoos (and piercings as well)

Personally, mine is on my chest. Completely hidden. You'd have to introduce "Topless Fridays" at my workplace to see my tattoo, and then in that situation I think there are bigger fish to fry than my silly tattoo. Such as the question of what genius thought Topless Fridays was a good idea?....

Archived