Use of the word 'Soccer'

AmericanRam

I started taking an interest in footie in the mid 50s and soccer was the commonly used word then and many of the magazines had soccer in the title

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Soccer > Footie.

That has to be said. Footie? What are you 8?

That said though, call it whatever the bloody hell you want, surely we're not all that uptight about this? It's just a word, it's not gonna kill you.

Most people hate it because most of the americans who say that do it because they don't like football and do it to annoy everyone else, at least that is what I have experienced on social media. They also fail to acknowledge that it is called "football" and think that the NFL is the only sport in the world. I personally couldn't care less what people call it as long as they aren't doing it to annoy you. 

It's bloody football otherwise we'd be DCSC, Forest NFSC Liverpool LSC and so on. In other words we'd all be so and so Soccer Club, well newsflash...we ain't, we are all so and so FOOTBALL Club.

Anyone caught saying soccer should be flogged at half time and their names flashed up on the big screen.

It's bloody football otherwise we'd be DCSC, Forest NFSC Liverpool LSC and so on. In other words we'd all be so and so Soccer Club, well newsflash...we ain't, we are all so and so FOOTBALL Club.

Anyone caught saying soccer should be flogged at half time and their names flashed up on the big screen.

Again, it's a cultural thing. Statements like this are akin to lynch mobs because someone has a funny accent.

This is what I don't get, why are people so precious over this?

As for "DCSC" and such, how many Rugby Clubs go by names like "Blackheath Football Club" or at the very least have "Football" in the name. Not to mention clubs of the various football codes tend to go for such names because they are all football. Our beloved game is Association football, some clubs even put the full title in the name, Sunderland and Hull being notable examples. In regions where "Soccer" (the shortened form of Association Football) is the common term, clubs do tend to end up being SC, rather than FC or AFC.

Again, the more bizarre part is that Rugby has as much claim to the name "Football" (as do any Football games that were derived from the pre-codified games for that matter) as Association Football. Being a snob about it doesn't change the history or origin of the term. Football will to most refer to Association Football, because it is the most popular worldwide, but that doesn't mean that it's outright "Football".

I've always looked at it as they call it Football because the ball is a foot long.  

So why not call it 'Subway'? 

Mmmmmmm, meatball marinara.

Why would anyone care if someone calls it soccer?  Plus there are perfectly valid practical reasons for calling it soccer in countries where there are other sports using that term.  Honestly i think some people just look for reasons, however trivial, to get annoyed.

I will make sure I say football when I come over for Leeds match mate. I would hate to get flogged as that doesn't sound too exciting.  ;)

I have been to the states a bit AR and the obvious thing to me is that people are generally better natured, more inclined to be thoughtful and polite. Not that we are nasty as such over here just that we have an Island mentality and have been successfully repelling all invaders for nearly 1,000 years (1066 was the last time someone succeeded). We can get a bit uppity............I expect you have noticed. ;)

Cough...1688...cough

Archived