Use of the word 'Soccer'

AmericanRam

I got into an argument with a British bloke at a bar last night because I was talking about the MLS, and Derby to my girlfriend and said 'soccer' instead of football.  This bloke gave me a hateful stare when he heard it and then went into a ten minute rant about how it is fookin football not soccer.  Needless to say, I cussed him right back... and we both just left.

I admittedly use the word soccer here in the States when talking about Derby or football in general as I should as I am around American friends and such.  On here, I use football because of the audience in general as well.

Do you think people get carried away when people say soccer instead of football?

It is the same feckin sport after all.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The official bodies FIFA UEFA FA FL all have football in the title. The game is officially called Association Football. "Soccer" was/is used by the egg chasers over here to differentiate between Rugby Football and Association Football as both, within the sport, use the term "Football".

I suppose in the USA "Soccer" is used to differentiate between American Football and Association Football.

Basically the point is that there is only one real "Football" and that is Association Football. The others, Rugby Football and American Football are globally minority sports by comparison.

No need to get arsy with you about it, but it does sound a bit lame when I hear people say "soccer". Went to the DW Soccerdome over the way from the iPro the other day - even that grates a bit.

The official bodies FIFA UEFA FA FL all have football in the title. The game is officially called Association Football. "Soccer" was/is used by the egg chasers over here to differentiate between Rugby Football and Association Football as both, within the sport, use the term "Football".

I suppose in the USA "Soccer" is used to differentiate between American Football and Association Football.

Basically the point is that there is only one real "Football" and that is Association Football. The others, Rugby Football and American Football are globally minority sports by comparison.

Good points mate. I agree that the factor of American football is why soccer is used over here.  It just irks me when people get an attitude over here I when I say soccer.  If I were in Europe, I could see their point but not here.  With that being said, every time I talked it about during my brief stays in Derby I referred to the sport as football.

No need to get arsy with you about it, but it does sound a bit lame when I hear people say "soccer". Went to the DW Soccerdome over the way from the iPro the other day - even that grates a bit.

No problem mate.  I go back and forth with saying soccer and football over here, but that confuses some people lol.

Good points mate. I agree that the factor of American football is why soccer is used over here.  It just irks me when people get an attitude over here I when I say soccer.  If I were in Europe, I could see their point but not here.  With that being said, every time I talked it about during my brief stays in Derby I referred to the sport as football.

I have been to the states a bit AR and the obvious thing to me is that people are generally better natured, more inclined to be thoughtful and polite. Not that we are nasty as such over here just that we have an Island mentality and have been successfully repelling all invaders for nearly 1,000 years (1066 was the last time someone succeeded). We can get a bit uppity............I expect you have noticed. ;)

Complaining about Americans using the word soccer is like complaining about Japanese people speaking Japanese. It's how they say it, there's no need to be concerned about it. There are plenty of other language variations in American English (and all variaties of English), why do people get tetchy about an abbriviated form of Association Football used in a country that other footballs

Complaining about Americans using the word soccer is like complaining about Japanese people speaking Japanese. It's how they say it, there's no need to be concerned about it. There are plenty of other language variations in American English (and all variaties of English), why do people get tetchy about an abbriviated form of Association Football used in a country that other footballs

because ;)

I don't get worked up about it, but if the name 'soccer' was introduced to differentiate the game from others, seeing as it is the most popular sport in the world, wouldn't it have better to have introduced the terms 'handegg' and 'armouredwankball' to the latecomers?

I don't get worked up about it, but if the name 'soccer' was introduced to differentiate the game from others, seeing as it is the most popular sport in the world, wouldn't it have better to have introduced the terms 'handegg' and 'armouredwankball' to the latecomers?

It's worth noting that "Football" refers to a ball game on foot, not a ball game played with the foot.

Also worth noting that name Soccer was introduced in Britain as the parallel to the term "Rugger" for Rugby Football.

As the evolution of language continues, the term 'soccer' is becoming more common outside of England.

In Asia, very few use 'football'. Soccer is the general term and I even have to explain myself if I use the word 'football'.

The English really do live in their traditional past at times.

As the evolution of language continues, the term 'soccer' is becoming more common outside of England.

In Asia, very few use 'football'. Soccer is the general term and I even have to explain myself if I use the word 'football'.

The English really do live in their traditional past at times.

Where in Asia are you silks?

I always shoehorn 'football' and 'derby county' into my English lessons when I am teaching, students never understand when I say football, so sometimes I use soccer as it's easier to understand.

Where in Asia are you silks?

I always shoehorn 'football' and 'derby county' into my English lessons when I am teaching, students never understand when I say football, so sometimes I use soccer as it's easier to understand.

Nagoya, Japan at the minute though I travel around the continent a fair bit.

I've yet to meet a Derby fan is Asia yet though have met many Forest fans unfortunately. That European success they had means thay are known in mnay parts.

Nagoya, Japan at the minute though I travel around the continent a fair bit.

I've yet to meet a Derby fan is Asia yet though have met many Forest fans unfortunately. That European success they had means thay are known in mnay parts.

Haven't met any forest fans yet (luckily), there's a few 'derby' fans in Taichung, but i use that term loosely as they don't really follow anymore.

Archived