Use of the word 'Soccer'

AmericanRam

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got into an argument with a British bloke at a bar last night because I was talking about the MLS, and Derby to my girlfriend and said 'soccer' instead of football. This bloke gave me a hateful stare when he heard it and then went into a ten minute rant about how it is fookin football not soccer. Needless to say, I cussed him right back... and we both just left.

I admittedly use the word soccer here in the States when talking about Derby or football in general as I should as I am around American friends and such. On here, I use football because of the audience in general as well.

Do you think people get carried away when people say soccer instead of football?

It is the same feckin sport after all.

We often send the scumy to the USA. Don't be surprised. That's always been the tradition

Gave a pretty good account of themselves at that tournament, got much further than ourselves and Spain, didn't disgrace themselves against Germany.. Get over it.

Over what? I have nothing to get over. Poor team.

For a relatively calm person....'soccer' really annoys me. I think that calling the beautiful game soccer should be punishable with an international ban. If you can't even call a game by its given name you shouldn't be allowed to play.

I used to play American football and always called it that. Maybe we should rebrand baseball as 'cricketish', (and have a proper world league) and basketball as 'bouncy netball'. I think it comes from the general American attitude that they have to try to lay claim to everything in some way. I worked for an American company, one of the biggest in the world and on anything we did online we had to Select the language.....English (United Kingdom). The default was just English but you ended up with incorrect spelling and grammar. It won't be long before it is described as American.

Archived