Chris Martin. Derby's best player since the Jim Smith era.

sage

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chris Martin has no player like him that I have seen in the top two dis ions and seems to be still developing his game. Teddy Sheringham was similar in many respects but not so good passing the ball with his back to goal. It is Martin's speed of thought that amazes me. How many of his moves are from the training ground I do not know. He is simply the right man in the right team at the right time for me. Got to be worth

Stick him in a Chelsea or Man City team and he would do as well as any. He is a very talented footballer. Technically and his understanding and vision. My issues were always with his mentality and athleticism. It was a double edged sword. He was obviously in a bad place for a very long time, which led to him becoming a lazy fatty. Now he puts himself about. He is no longer half a yard off the pace. He can keep up with our high tempo and even lead by example now. 

I never find myself saying Martin should have done this or that. He pretty much get's everything right. I hope he can maintain a clear state of mind because he really does have the world at his feet. For me Fulham showed who he his. He missed a tap in that he would score 999 out of 1000. He had the opportunity to pass for his goal, but he was determined to score, to make up for the miss. When his mind is made up in those type of situations, I fully back him. After that miss he was on fire. He walked off that day unlucky to not have got a hat trick, all spurred on from that miss. 

Stick him in a Chelsea or Man City team and he would do as well as any. He is a very talented footballer. Technically and his understanding and vision. My issues were always with his mentality and athleticism. It was a double edged sword. He was obviously in a bad place for a very long time, which led to him becoming a lazy fatty. Now he puts himself about. He is no longer half a yard off the pace. He can keep up with our high tempo and even lead by example now.

I never find myself saying Martin should have done this or that. He pretty much get's everything right. I hope he can maintain a clear state of mind because he really does have the world at his feet. For me Fulham showed who he his. He missed a tap in that he would score 999 out of 1000. He had the opportunity to pass for his goal, but he was determined to score, to make up for the miss. When his mind is made up in those type of situations, I fully back him. After that miss he was on fire. He walked off that day unlucky to not have got a hat trick, all spurred on from that miss.

Yet our winner against Charlton was the exact opposite, did all the hard work but then had the presence of mind to square it to a player in a better position, shows how quick his mind works, 99% of players at this level would have shot, best forward we've had for a very long time.

On sheer ability, some way from being the best player since the Bald Eagles' time but there's a strong case to be made for him being one of the most influential. He's the fulcrum of our team and the one we miss most when he's not in the side.

Archived