Chris Martin. Derby's best player since the Jim Smith era.

sage

The entire team is built around him. As has been said, on technical ability alone we've had better players, but to see just how important he is to us, look back to Millwall at home last season.

More important to us than Steve Howard was to the 2006/07 promotion side - and that is some praise indeed.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On sheer ability, some way from being the best player since the Bald Eagles' time 

I'd disagree massively.

Early 2000's we had no one.

mid 2000's, Idiakez

Late 2000's, Commons

I'd say these are the only two players who had more ability than Martin since the Jim Smith days.

Everyone under estimates him, which certainly helps. He is definitely our most influential player

at the moment, when Hughes is on form his thru passes are something to behold, but you have to be on

the same wavelength to capitalise, and Martin always seems to be 3/4 moves ahead - wonder if hes any 

good at chess?

I'd disagree massively.

Early 2000's we had no one.

mid 2000's, Idiakez

Late 2000's, Commons

I'd say these are the only two players who had more ability than Martin since the Jim Smith days.

Kinkladze was a much better player technically, as was Bueno in my opinion. Problem is that such players tend to have 1 good game followed by 4 or 5 bad ones. Martin on the other hand is incredibly consistent.

Kinkladze was a much better player technically, as was Bueno in my opinion. Problem is that such players tend to have 1 good game followed by 4 or 5 bad ones. Martin on the other hand is incredibly consistent.

Forgot about kinky.

Martin is fantastic beyond just being a Linekar type goal hanging ****. The ball seems to stick to his feet and his lay off and set up play is sublime. All players have their off days but when Chrissy is on form he's almost unstoppable.

As much as I think Best has potential has a forward talisman, I don't think we've had someone as broadly skilled at being an annoying **** in front of the goal as he has. He also thrives off our great service, just as Bryson also thrives off his service.

Hope he'll sign up for another 2 years at least.

If there were more rumours touted by our mates Nixon and co then I would be worried. All I see at the moment is jittery worrying.

Due to the type of player he is, Martin has a good brain and he knows (for this season at least) it's in his best interests to stay with us. Any early worries are dissolving and he's looking to be exactly the same player from last year.

Martin will stay and sign a new 2 or 3 year contract #itk

I said when he came on loan,when others disagreed, he has GUILE and great touch, what I didn't realise then, was he was going to become such a great target man, we are not the same team without him, as we saw Tuesday, Beast is a good player with some limitations, but when Martin came on we were a different side, and he was awesome, he didn't like being left out did he , lol :)

I think Martin could probably perform as well in the Premiership as he does in the Championship, provided the build up was of the same quality.

The reason he plays so well though, is because he fits so well in our system where all our attacking moves go through him. I'm not sure if he'd do as well if he moved to a team that expects him to be a poacher, hence why no-one has bid for him I think.

Archived