Ivan Calero - Time for the first team..?

Nuwtfly

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's great to see Calero come on and score, I think he's a genuine prospect, but I think the best place for him is the U21 side at the minute. He needs to play and play, not to be put on the bench, but to be in the starting XI.

Once he gets to the point where everyone, including Steve McClaren, says that he HAS to play then put him in the matchday squad. He probably is good enough for a place on the bench every week, but for his development, he needs full games in the U21 side and he would find it difficult to do both. 

He obviously made an impact but was nothing like the star performer.

Missed a good chance but made amends by scoring the winner.

Had one nice little run before getting hacked down.

Other than that was pretty anonymous as most attacks went down the right hand side again.

If they come in and do well certainly ought to be contenders for a bench spot at least. Actually thought he did very well apart from the goal too (though some are saying he didn't do much else?), that run was quality, had me out of my seat, Santos too looked better than I had expected as some had reported on here from U-21 games they didn't think he was anywhere near ready yet.

It was a very tidy finish. His movement was excellent too, makes exactly the kind of runs into space between the lines that Thorne and Hughes would pick out. He's not physically ready though, and got bullied by Charlton's right back. As someone else said (Ambitious?), he'd be better off having consistent games for the U21s than a bit part role on our bench. If we don't get Ibe then maybe he can go on the bench for home games only or something.

Archived