Ivan Calero - Time for the first team..?

Nuwtfly

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

on ramsplayer now so should be on youtube soon.

His strike reminded me a lot of Kris Commons. The way he just seemed to effortlessly leather it into the top corner. Like it was the easiest thing in the world to do. Kick the ball into the massive space in the goal where the keeper isn't.

His strike reminded me a lot of Kris Commons. The way he just seemed to effortlessly leather it into the top corner. Like it was the easiest thing in the world to do. Kick the ball into the massive space in the goal where the keeper isn't.

It was a cracking effort.

The best thing about it is that the ball is actually going away from him so he has to turn to strike it. Great shot.

Too early to judge, but there seems to be a bit of the "Paddy Bamford" about this guy. I think he should stay with the U21s but if he keeps banging them in throughout September too, then 10 minute cameos as a first team substitute might be useful when we need to nick a goal near the death. certainly deserves a subs berth in the next round of the Cup.

Just watched our goal again from last night. It's more than his finish which caught the eye for me. The moment Martin won the ball, Calero had his eyes fixed on where it was, and he instinctively found the space for Martin to pass into (also says a lot about the faith other players have in Martin's technical ability, although we already knew that by the supersonic balls the whole team fire at his throat in every game).

I wasn't at the game last night but from what people are saying, he looks more favoured to a central position. I don't think it sounds like his favoured position actually exists in our current system. That means he either has to adapt, or we have to adapt to him - and although he's clearly a talent, it's obviously going to be the former.

He still has a lot to learn in the U21s, and a lot more to learn there than sitting on the bench with occasional cameos.

Simmo said in one of the fan forums that the intention was to have an U21 squad with players capable of playing in the first team if called upon - we seem to be sticking to our word on that.

So basically, we have a right to be excited, but we'll blood him in rather than rush him in. We still have three excellent wide players in the first team, with the exciting prospect a fourth joining with a glowing reputation at one of the top clubs in the country.

Archived