Charlton v Derby County

Day

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im glad Wardy bagged 2 even tho we did lose. Would of done his confidence the world of good, And a confident Ward is a dangerous Ward in any league. Dust ourselves off, Switch the midfield up abit. I think Eustace is the option id go for as its obvious we need to tighten up.

Went to the game tonight and left wondering if the team is up for the challenge and expectation this season. I know we are three games into the season so I don't want to sound too judgmental, but we still look shaky at the back. Yes we have had three cleans sheets previous to tonights game, but two our of those three games we probably should have conceded. Bucko was clearly not fit tonight, so I don't know why we didn't start Whitbread. And the defensive midfield is becoming a problem, Hughes is wasted there imo.I still think we will click, but a few tweaks are needed. I think we will learn more after the next two home games, to see if this team can handle the pressure.

Can I get a second opinion on the penalty? Looked like Keogh cleared the ball fairly before the Charlton lad tumbled over from where I was sat (right behind the goal).

Can't complain with the result really - a lot of misplaced passes and silly mistakes in possession. I'd definitely put Eustace back in CDM and potentially swap Dawkins for Russell.

Serious question here...

Where have all these moronic fans come from?

Radio Derby created some because they make us sound hopeless.

The rest? Dunno. Getting like the DET though.

Plus you've got the ones that turned up at the iPro in April and expect to be watching a Champions League side playing Championship football.

It'll probably get worse.

Do not base opinions on what Radio Derby tell you would be my advice.

I go to games and then watch the full 90 with the sound up sometimes. They panic at everything. Negative moaning knobbers.

On the way to work tonight I listened for a score check and I heard

"Derby just don't play with that pace that was so successful"

*Derby attack and Dawkins gets a shot*

"Yeah it was all done too quickly. You can't always do the one touch stuff"

That happened. Stupid

Don't think Calero should thrown straight on the basis of performances v Matlock and Boro stiffs, he will get his chance be patient.

From what I've read on here I'm expecting a similar player to Thierry Henry in his late Arsenal days

Just got back in from the match.

Strange game really. They dominated the first 15 mins until they scored. Blame Hughes for the first goal, was far to weak in the challenge and it led to Christie being left 1 on 1 with their winger.

We then dominated, kept the ball well and scored a cracker. Hughes still a little dodgy at the back but was assured on the ball and dictated play.

From where I was in the corner, it didn't look like a peno but after seeing replays it probably was. Awful time to concede but we came out of the blocks really well and were all over them.

Mascarell coming on for Hughes was a shock for me as the team were playing well before ht. mascarell looks ok, passes the ball well and reads the game really well making some fantastic interceptions and tackles. However, put under pressure he struggled tonight. Gave the ball away a couple of times and played their striker in too.

Having said that, we still looked on top until we went 424. They scored immediately with what looked like a soft goal and although best looked a handful, I thought we missed the 3rd midfielder .

Christie did well until ward swapped sides and Dawkins didn't really offer much again. Seems to be a player that does well when the team is on top but not when we're pushing for a goal. Ward looks good tonight and only did a couple of stupid things (one run into nowhere with 3 men on him and a 40 yard volley that dribbled wide).

Defence looked shakey but I think it's more to do with the lack of defensive support from the dm tbh.

Martin looked good and laid the ball of well. Bryson and Hendrick were ok tonight and fed off Martin well. But there weren't many probing runs and the slick passing around this edge of the box wasn't really there.

Overall though, nothing to be overly worried about. We played well and would have won on another night. Need to win Saturday and I reckon if we take the positives out of today and remove the errors, we will do just that.

Strange game really. They dominated the first 15 mins until they scored. Blame Hughes for the first goal, was far to weak in the challenge and it led to Christie being left 1 on 1 with their winger.

We then dominated, kept the ball well and scored a cracker. Hughes still a little dodgy at the back but was assured on the ball and dictated play.

From where I was in the corner, it didn't look like a peno but after seeing replays it probably was. Awful time to concede but we came out of the blocks really well and were all over them.

Mascarell coming on for Hughes was a shock for me as the team were playing well before ht. mascarell looks ok, passes the ball well and reads the game really well making some fantastic interceptions and tackles. However, put under pressure he struggled tonight. Gave the ball away a couple of times and played their striker in too.

Having said that, we still looked on top until we went 424. They scored immediately with what looked like a soft goal and although best looked a handful, I thought we missed the 3rd midfielder .

Christie did well until ward swapped sides and Dawkins didn't really offer much again. Seems to be a player that does well when the team is on top but not when we're pushing for a goal. Ward looks good tonight and only did a couple of stupid things (one run into nowhere with 3 men on him and a 40 yard volley that dribbled wide).

Defence looked shakey but I think it's more to do with the lack of defensive support from the dm tbh.

Martin looked good and laid the ball of well. Bryson and Hendrick were ok tonight and fed off Martin well. But there weren't many probing runs and the slick passing around this edge of the box wasn't really there.

Overall though, nothing to be overly worried about. We played well and would have won on another night. Need to win Saturday and I reckon if we take the positives out of today and remove the errors, we will do just that.

Panic over.

Maza's report doesn't suit some of the agenda. Should we ignore him until he says Calero would have been ideal for Dawkins who was again worse than Teale?

Certainly not enough praise for players that didn't play in that report

Thought Keogh and Ward were our best players. Ward was everywhere, Keogh had a lot of clearing up to do as Buxton is not fit! Would have been a different game if we'd have scored first. They never had to push up and could easily defend their lead and catch us on the break. Why we never tested their dodgy keeper more I'll never know? He looked like he could have been beaten from 40 yards. 

It cut to the winger going at Christie on Sky so didn't see what happened before that, though there seemed a lot of space for sure.

Certainly think we need to be solid in the DM role as we know Keogh is prone to the occasional error every so often (while he may be OK the rest of the time) so needs as much protection from midfield as possible to keep these down to the minimum.

Thought Keogh and Ward were our best players. Ward was everywhere, Keogh had a lot of clearing up to do as Buxton is not fit! Would have been a different game if we'd have scored first. They never had to push up and could easily defend their lead and catch us on the break. Why we never tested their dodgy keeper more I'll never know? He looked like he could have been beaten from 40 yards. 

Shows how deceptive things can look on TV as it made Keogh look awful on the goals clips! Seems daft playing Buxton if he is struggling as while he is a hardy reliable pro he's not exactly so indispensible to play on one leg if Whitbread is available (he seemed to play OK at Carlisle tbh).

But then again things get trotted out when the result goes against us, he was probably feeling no worse today than he was on Saturday if you asked him.

Just got back. Couple of thoughts:

Dawkins was poor. Looked frightened to shoot, was muscled off the ball a few times and played some woeful passes. I still think he will play a big part this season, when he gets back into form but Russell should and will play next few games.

Keogh looked like an average championship defender tonight if I'm honest. Gave away the penalty (was that the correct decision by the way? have not seen a replay but my first impression was that the referee was wrong to give it) , and gave the ball away when he lost a header near our box for the third goal, although he did start some attacks with his forward runs.

We looked ok, but a little shy of taking chances. Thought we were a bit unlucky. Mac should never have started Hughes, Hendrick and Bryson together though - it's a combination which doesn't work. Think Eustace should come in for Bryson or Hughes next game.

Charlton look a decent side, think they will definitely get top 12 this season. Impressed with their no. 14 (striker) and the defensive pairing of Bikey and Ben Haim. They have definitely benefited from the link with Standard Li

Archived