Charlton v Derby County

Day

Cracking morale boosting win for Charlton, although I expected your attackers to be a lot more potent.

All but Chris Martin and Jamie Ward failed to live up to the hype. I don't know if you're suffering from a post play-off hangover but Hendrick, Bryson and Dawkins all ran around very well but passing was woeful and shots were wayward. Subbing off Will Hughes was a bizarre decision as he, Martin and Ward were the only three giving you any chance of really penetrating our back line with any regularity.

Cyrus Christie and Lee Grant were both solid enough and Christie did well when he managed to get forward but both your centre backs, and to a lesser extent, the left back were liabilities. No.33 came on but instead of improving you, actually made things worse and I felt you were more disjointed after half time than you were before it.

Russell looked bright and lively, got the ball down and passed it well. Was much more of a threat. There were some ironic cheers from the away end when he came on for Dawkins but I'm not sure if that's because you wanted to make the changes 60 seconds earlier but there was an issue with Russell's kit, I think? So he had to change something and have a second go at it.

Leon Best didn't have much impact when he came on. As you went 4-2-4 we hit on the counter and exposed the ragged back four. Looking at the footage of the goal, it looks static with enough time for defenders to be organised but it came from a quick break as you began to throw men forward.

We never make it easy for ourselves (I forgot what going into the last 5 minutes two goals up felt like) but in the end, I think we just about edged it despite the possession statistics.

Good luck for the rest of the season!

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got back. Couple of thoughts:

Dawkins was poor. Looked frightened to shoot, was muscled off the ball a few times and played some woeful passes. I still think he will play a big part this season, when he gets back into form but Russell should and will play next few games.

Keogh looked like an average championship defender tonight if I'm honest. Gave away the penalty (was that the correct decision by the way? have not seen a replay but my first impression was that the referee was wrong to give it) , and gave the ball away when he lost a header near our box for the third goal, although he did start some attacks with his forward runs.

We looked ok, but a little shy of taking chances. Thought we were a bit unlucky. Mac should never have started Hughes, Hendrick and Bryson together though - it's a combination which doesn't work. Think Eustace should come in for Bryson or Hughes next game.

Charlton look a decent side, think they will definitely get top 12 this season. Impressed with their no. 14 (striker) and the defensive pairing of Bikey and Ben Haim. They have definitely benefited from the link with Standard Li

Would agree with most of that. Hughes simply cannot stay in that role, we lose both his attacking ability and the surety of a Eustace type figure.

I would argue that the team seemed out of sync with what the management are asking/expecting, Hughes particularly was being barked at all evening by Simmo for positional issues.

I think we should go back to what clough wanted.

So Dawkins wasn't good again, on Radio Derby they were saying how well he was playing, so much better and Charlton couldn't handle him!!

Still think you can look at all the three goals conceded though and say we should have done better with all of them, scoring two away is usually enough to be getting you something.

Hi guys

Unlucky, I did say we would be much more competitive this year

Kinda like Wigan you lot, lots of possession, made more chances but your defence was leaky especially when pressed by Igor(14) he had fun with that all night , on the majority of first half you deserved a point perhaps

All the best for the rest of the season

Hi guys

Unlucky, I did say we would be much more competitive this year

Kinda like Wigan you lot, lots of possession, made more chances but your defence was leaky especially when pressed by Igor(14) he had fun with that all night , on the majority of first half you deserved a point perhaps

All the best for the rest of the season

cheers we will have the rematch next Tuesday I believe and do it all again!

I'm incredibly annoyed with the result, obviously players aren't in the right physical or mental state. 

We've been below par for all three league games, and no one can tell me why the other teams can get up to fitness and sharpness but we can't? I was worried about McClaren being 'happy' at quite frankly bang average performances, now we've been beaten hopefully it'll be a wake up call. 

Last season, we started with a win, draw and loss but played against Blackburn, Brighton and Leicester - all finished in the top 8. 

I don't see Charlton, Wednesday or Rotherham finishing in the top eight, and if we don't wake the f*ck up and get our act together then I don't see us finishing in the top eight either. 

We've got to be better, simple as. It's not an over-reaction, but based on what I've seen so far THIS season I think we'll be lucky to finish in the top half. I don't see how anyone can disagree either. 

Fulham game will be telling, frustrations are already starting to grow. We've taken this start far, far, far too lightly. 

Not the best time to post, as still have a few beers in me (and note I missed the penalty as I was at the bar, so can't comment on that).

I thought Charlton were good going forward, very direct and very quick. Also they looked secure at the back with Bikey And Ben Haim.

We were the opposite. We looked slow and laboured going forward, and our passing in the final third was not crisp. Charlton sussed that our central pivot was Martin, and his strengths were nullified. I thought Ward and Dawkins played ok, but neither are wingers, and I can't remember a cross all night. Hughes being pulled at half time was odd, but in truth he was poor for the first 25 mins. However Bryson and Hendrick for all their energy were even less effective, and Hughes has to be played where his creativity has some real effect. Omar had a few hiccups early on, but did well in the last 30 mins. Forsyth was not with it, but I thought Christie had a good game. Keogh and Bucko were exposed by the speed of some attacks, and the lack of supporting cover.

The above suggests we played poorly. We didn't. Till I went to the bar at 46 mins there was only one team that was going to win. The penalty though knocked the team significantly and/or Hughes was missed early in the second half when we needed to make an early response. My view is that we have good players, but currently a good number are not on song. We are playing a system that has been sussed, and if you nullify Martin or he isn't playing well it is not apparent where our threat is coming from alternatively - I know Ward scored two, but one was a great shot, and the other a GK howler. We Played good possession football much of the evening, but with no real width or attacking speed or verve.

This is where Mac needs to earn his money. Playing off Martin can no longer be the sole option. We need a winger who can beat his man, and get some quick crosses into the box. We need to pick an authentic CDM - Hughes is not the solution, certainly not away from home. Personally I would still pick him and play him higher up the field, and let Bryson/Hendrick compete for the other midfield berth. Bryson I think might need a good shaking. As for Keogh and Bucko, I still would really like to see a gnarly proven old pro in our back line.

Still early days, and we will beat Fulham on Saturday. But there are issues to be addressed and personally I think we are still 2 GOOD players away from replicating last years performances.

Went to the game tonight and left wondering if the team is up for the challenge and expectation this season. I know we are three games into the season so I don't want to sound too judgmental, but we still look shaky at the back. Yes we have had three cleans sheets previous to tonights game, but two our of those three games we probably should have conceded. Bucko was clearly not fit tonight, so I don't know why we didn't start Whitbread. And the defensive midfield is becoming a problem, Hughes is wasted there imo.I still think we will click, but a few tweaks are needed. I think we will learn more after the next two home games, to see if this team can handle the pressure.

I think the key word here is expectation.

Why should we think that on the back of last seasons finish, we should automatically be in the same (or better) position this season. Other teams will also get better and/or worse, and we will need to fight just as hard as any other team.

I seem to remember that last season at this stage, we would have been happy with a mid-table finish, and look what happened in the end.

Not sure we need to be throwing the baby out with the bath water.

From what I've read on here I'm expecting a similar player to Thierry Henry in his late Arsenal days

Maza's report doesn't suit some of the agenda. Should we ignore him until he says Calero would have been ideal for Dawkins who was again worse than Teale?

Certainly not enough praise for players that didn't play in that report

Bloody hell.

You've got a thing about Calero haven't you?

Hughes has done ok imo but - with bryson not really getting to games atm - why not put bryson into the holding role and swap with Will.

Try it for 45 minutes instead of subbing Will.

Bloody hell.

You've got a thing about Calero haven't you?

Maybe he finds it odd that people are calling for the introduction of a young player they have probably never seen play, based on him having a foreign name and being on the u21 scoresheet a handful of times?

Maybe he finds it odd that people are calling for the introduction of a young player they have probably never seen play, based on him having a foreign name and being on the u21 scoresheet a handful of times?

There are certainly a lot of people passing comment on games they haven't seen.

But regarding Calero, i was suggesting he gets 20 mins as a sub because i have seen him.

I'm incredibly annoyed with the result, obviously players aren't in the right physical or mental state. 

We've been below par for all three league games, and no one can tell me why the other teams can get up to fitness and sharpness but we can't? I was worried about McClaren being 'happy' at quite frankly bang average performances, now we've been beaten hopefully it'll be a wake up call. 

Last season, we started with a win, draw and loss but played against Blackburn, Brighton and Leicester - all finished in the top 8. 

I don't see Charlton, Wednesday or Rotherham finishing in the top eight, and if we don't wake the f*ck up and get our act together then I don't see us finishing in the top eight either. 

We've got to be better, simple as. It's not an over-reaction, but based on what I've seen so far THIS season I think we'll be lucky to finish in the top half. I don't see how anyone can disagree either. 

Fulham game will be telling, frustrations are already starting to grow. We've taken this start far, far, far too lightly. 

I said to my dad this morning (after sticking up for the lads all weekend up until yesterday saying it was a nice steady start regardless of performance) that they're either complacent or sulking. We've set Bryson up for life with that contract and he has done nothing to say he is worth being our highest paid player. He's been the most disappointing as in 4 games I could probably count on one hand the things I remember him doing. I can accept our wingers will be a little hit or miss but not our best paid central midfielder.

I wasn't mad that we lost. I was mad at how we lost. To drag yourself back into the game and be going in on level terms only to give a penalty away in the 48th minute of the first half?! Completely changes the team talk and the plan for the second half in one stupid, clumsy moment.

I've been clutching on to the fact that we hadn't conceded a goal as a positive from this start to the season but now that's gone.

It's not the end of the world and if we pull our finger out our arses and win our two home games then 10 from 5 is promotion form, I could accept 8 from 5 too but only if the performances significantly increase.

I think Mac has lost his bottle a bit, had the Midas touch last season but I don't think he's been bold enough in his decisions this season so far.

Anyway like ambitious says unless we really up our game we won't be reaching the play offs which would be awful considering the work Rush and the ownership have done this summer

Archived