The view from the outside 14/15

Thierry Ennui

• Replies 748
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like Boro as well. I don't like our record at the Riverside, but they were one of my favourite teams to watch in the Premier League.

I remember they, like us, also beat Manchester United a couple of times at Old Trafford and that always brought a smile to my face.

I like the way they've gone about their business. Karanka was a great step, the Chelsea loan players have been a big hit and they've used the foreign market well to blend in with tough UK-based players.

Reckon they'll be good in the Premier League. I'd like us, them and Bournemouth to go up - but if not Bournemouth then I'd take Brentford who also have done things in a unique/brilliant way.

Pointless jibing their crowds IMO. Who actually cares about numbers anyway? It's the team that counts and they've got a very good one for this level. Would I swap ours with theirs? No. But they wouldn't swap theirs with ours either.

Both styles and personnel are working. We're top two and hopefully it will stay like that.

Charlton didn't play too well tonight, but in Guy Luzon they have one of the most perceptive managers in the Championship.

This from the BBC website :

Charlton manager Guy Luzon: "I think Derby totally deserved to win and played very well, especially in the first 30 minutes but we were not organised well and left gaps between the lines and they used it well.

"After 30 minutes we came back and organised better but it's not enough against a team like Derby, with their quality. You have to concentrate from the first minute and not for 60 or 55 minutes. They deserve to be in the Premier League and I think they are the best team in this league." 

Had a gander at the Charlton forums and they're so pleased they only lost 2-0 and many even stating they matched us in the second half and it was great we didn't have a shot on target after the goals. 

Couple led of things there... We left the machine in neutral for the whole of the second. We didn't even need first gear, let alone 5th or 6th.

Secondly, we aren't a team which will ever get 42 shots on goal (like Brentford did vs Blackpool last night) as we play it for the best opportunity. So the ball may flash across the face 20 times, but that doesn't count as a shot. 

Finally, when the change at half time was to bring on Diarra as a holding midfielder the game was over for them  they made a defensive change to stop Hughes and Hendrick killing them between the lines - not a change you should make at 2-0 down  

"No surprise to lose here . Derby are the best in this league this season"

"Derby just managed the game in the second half, they were content to see it out without exerting too much energy, they were in second gear. They ripped us apart before they took their foot off the gas but we won't meet a better team all season."

"We lost but we played, so an improvement on a few weeks ago, pretty one sided first half but we put them under some pressure in the second, good performance against the best in the league. Well done charlton."

"Maybe we were outclassed but they are top of the league and are the best team I have seen so far at The Valley -they are top for a reason, no real disgrace (or surprise) in losing tonight. Well done to those who made the trip. We have new players still getting to know one another's strengths and weakness, did we really expect to get much tonight? Truthfully, no."

"Worried that we might concede a hatful after they scored their second with such ease( knife through butter describes their play directly through our "middle") but we came out after half time and started putting in some serious tackles which surprised them a bit. Unfortunately, we didn't make enough chances to deserve to score & the gulf between last Friday's opponents & tonight's was akin to the Grand Canyon. "

Not quite sure what to make of the Charlton boards I've just read - most seem pleased they only lost 2-0 and saw lot's of positives despite us literally being in cruise control for a good hour.

When we put in performances like that under Clough I hammered us, and IMO rightfully so. It was so negative.

But Charlton are taking it as a positive, I'm not really sure whether this is a good thing or not?

Kudos for being down to earth and looking at the bright side, but on the other hand you could question their ambitions if they're actually happy to go away to a fellow Championship team and come out content at offering nothing and only losing 2-0.

I'm confused by their response. You only need to read the Blackburn forum (who are very gracious in defeat by the way) to see how much they rate their team and how much they hammer their manager after every loss.

I take what the managers say with a pinch of salt. They put more spin than a politician half the time. Steve Evans no doubt stated we were the best in the league to try and make his players feel positive after a come back that must have felt like a defeat for them. I don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me if Steve Evans said similar after one of their defeats to Bournemouth.

Obviously not nice to lose but there are plenty of positives to take. Diarra and Eagles both looked good. I think 2-0 flattered the league leaders. Had we not rolled over so easily after conceding the first i think we could've got something.

Interesting take on the game.

Obviously not nice to lose but there are plenty of positives to take. Diarra and Eagles both looked good. I think 2-0 flattered the league leaders. Had we not rolled over so easily after conceding the first i think we could've got something.

Interesting take on the game.

Not quite sure what to make of the Charlton boards I've just read - most seem pleased they only lost 2-0 and saw lot's of positives despite us literally being in cruise control for a good hour.

When we put in performances like that under Clough I hammered us, and IMO rightfully so. It was so negative.

But Charlton are taking it as a positive, I'm not really sure whether this is a good thing or not?

Kudos for being down to earth and looking at the bright side, but on the other hand you could question their ambitions if they're actually happy to go away to a fellow Championship team and come out content at offering nothing and only losing 2-0.

I'm confused by their response. You only need to read the Blackburn forum (who are very gracious in defeat by the way) to see how much they rate their team and how much they hammer their manager after every loss.

Archived