Derby County v Rotherham United

Day

I think these stats are quite telling. We dominated possession but seemed to lack ideas when faced with a wall of 10 men. Its the same problem we faced against QPR. It's also obvious that Rotherham tired of chasing the ball the whole game and I can see this pattern being repeated with us grabbing a lot if late goals.

Our passing wasn't as slick or quick as we saw at the end of last seasson but this will come. We need to find that last killer through ball to put someone in..again this will come.

What we need is serious work on set pieces not just defensively but offensively also. When teams are sitting deep and we struggle to break them down, it's those set peices which can offer an openning. We never look a threat from them. Let's hope best can offer something of an aerial threat here. I would also love to see our centre halfs chipping in with goals like most other teams' do!

I believe we got lucky yesterday. Rotherham had 3 great chances stopped only by last ditch defending. We look panicky whenever the ball is fired with height into the box. Better teams will punish us!

Overall a promising if unconvincing start to the season. I believe this season will be much harder than last. But with time to get back to our slick ways and the ability demonstrated yesterday to grind out a win...I'm very hopeful of a top 6 finish.

Looking forward to seeing Best, OMG, Colero etc on monday (hopefully)

COYR

We don't have a single player good enough in the air to win balls against a big opponent. But then I've been saying we need a new centre half for some time now. I am happy that our offensive players are footballers rather than giants, but having a big, dominant defender gives us strength in both boxes.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we need to change the formation about.. Hughes played outstanding in the defensive role and Omar did just as good when he came on.. It seems like that was the only role in the team who were picking out attacking passes.. If we played 2 defensive mids (Hughes & Omar) and brought the wingers just alittle more central I think that would create more opportunities for the attacking half and it would creat more space for Cyrus and Forsyth to run the flanks... The question is though, who do you bring off.

I'm not too worried about the fact that we weren't aerially dominant as I doubt we'll come up against another side like Rovrum this season. Not to mention, it's usually a strong point of our defence (except corners - we always struggle with them!)

I was really disappointed with their style of play though. I was under the impression that they played similarly to us but that wasn't the case. They just sat back and were quite happy to throw balls into our box towards that big lump they had up front.

I think we need to change the formation about.. Hughes played outstanding in the defensive role and Omar did just as good when he came on.. It seems like that was the only role in the team who were picking out attacking passes.. If we played 2 defensive mids (Hughes & Omar) and brought the wingers just alittle more central I think that would create more opportunities for the attacking half and it would creat more space for Cyrus and Forsyth to run the flanks... The question is though, who do you bring off.

We could go 4-2-3-1 with Hughes and OMG - Bryson, Hendrick and Russell - Martin and Best. I'd just worry about lack of cover for the full backs, but then I'm not convinced with the amount of defensive cover we get from our wingers at times anyway! I'm sure Mac must have another formation or two up his sleeve for this season, because 433 won't always work, just be interest what he goes for, other than last seasons 424.

We could go 4-2-3-1 with Hughes and OMG - Bryson, Hendrick and Russell - Martin and Best. I'd just worry about lack of cover for the full backs, but then I'm not convinced with the amount of defensive cover we get from our wingers at times anyway! I'm sure Mac must have another formation or two up his sleeve for this season, because 433 won't always work, just be interest what he goes for, other than last seasons 424.

Playing with 12 players would be pretty risky, I think we'd get caught.

Rotherham have completely changed the style of play and understandably so. They used to be an all guns blazing side in League 1 but had to tighten up when they got promoted because they were leaky at the back.

I don't think we'll have this problem too much, when our attack is met by a 10-man wall. I think we'll get more oppotunities when we travel to Wednesday, and Wardy will have a better game.

Couple of shocking passes though, but just by the way he moves around the pitch you can tell he is quality.

Some of our distribution fell well below our usual standards. Grant, Bryson, Hendrick, Fozzy - all over-hit or under-hit balls on more than one occasion.  Even the pass-master Sir Jake popped a long ball into Row Q.

Some of our distribution fell well below our usual standards. Grant, Bryson, Hendrick, Fozzy - all over-hit or under-hit balls on more than one occasion. Even the pass-master Sir Jake popped a long ball into Row Q.

Bit harsh, was more like row N.

There were several occasions where the Rovram players literally threw themselves to the ground both arms in the air the lot and getting free kicks and we got nothing when Hughes was pole axed on the hip twice in the game. The ref was poor.

So no it was never a foul.

The supposed foul by Dawkins was quite comical, where he completely pulled out of the challenge and the Rotherham player performed a three and a half inward somersault with one and a half twists in a piked position (sorry, I've been watching too much Commonwealth Games).

If Ward, Russell and Dawkins had the end product we all talk about then Ward would have left 2/3 years ago and the other two would be in the PL too.

What wingers do have a consistent end product and the ball carrying ability? The best wide player for end product is probably Reid from a non relegated side. Snodgrass had an end product at Leeds. There's not many. Zaha? Nope. Ince? Nope

Who was the last winger at Derby with a consistent end product? Clue? He was playing Champions League football shortly after leaving us.

Alpha - the players are out there, whether in the UK or abroad. My personal concern is whether McClaren thinks Dawkins and Ward are good enough. Yesterday was a perfect example where it should be the turn of a winger to go and win us a game. I don't think Ward or Dawkins won us a single game last season with a bit of skill....something that concerns me for the position they play on the pitch....

Alpha - the players are out there, whether in the UK or abroad. My personal concern is whether McClaren thinks Dawkins and Ward are good enough. Yesterday was a perfect example where it should be the turn of a winger to go and win us a game. I don't think Ward or Dawkins won us a single game last season with a bit of skill....something that concerns me for the position they play on the pitch....

Dawkins won us a point at QPR. And scored a crucial goal against Doncaster.

Russell got 9 last season despite being in and out with injury.

We were the top scorers in the bloody league last season. What more do you want from your midfield and attack? We weren't carrying anyone, everyone who played contributed to that. Especially our wide men.

They're allowed an off day.

Dawkins won us a point at QPR. And scored a crucial goal against Doncaster.

Russell got 9 last season despite being in and out with injury.

We were the top scorers in the bloody league last season. What more do you want from your midfield and attack? We weren't carrying anyone, everyone who played contributed to that. Especially our wide men.

They're allowed an off day.

I want promotion and thus want the best. QPR away agreed, Donny already winning. I rate Russell hence I on,y said Ward and Dawkins. Bamford gave us goals, so does Russell. Ward and Dawkins don't and if they are the chosen wingers, there will be less goals and less points.

How often do those two gave on days?

No issue with anywhere else on the team.

Dawkins has laid on a lot of assists since he came (look at our record before he arrived, we weren't doing so well) also he has got in good positions and scored the odd few, thought he was generally playing superb till he got injured last season and then never really cemented a place after that as he had continuing niggles. But I think as a footballer he suits our style of play.

Certainly think him and Ward are good enough for a Championship squad, as is Russell, they all have good attributes as well as certain weaknesses, though suppose we all have our own favourites.

Generally our team and recent record is pretty impressive so don't think we need make too many changes on the back of one opening game.

I'd say - Russell will score the most of the three, but loses the ball cheaply sometimes which I find very frustrating and doesn't always take the right option, but can see the plus points of having him there, he does have pace and some games can cause problems

Ward - again his asset is his push n run, a goodish Championship player with a bit of aggression about him

Dawkins - technically the best of them, has a touch of class, needs to vary his runs, keeps possession of the ball very well and plays his part in a footballing team, again has a bit of pace, though probably not a natural finisher

But will get behind any of them whoever plays (personally would pick Dawkins and one of the other two but we all have different ideas, we will need them all before the season is done). We have a good team overall, maybe Best will be able to play wide too?

I want promotion and thus want the best. QPR away agreed, Donny already winning. I rate Russell hence I on,y said Ward and Dawkins. Bamford gave us goals, so does Russell. Ward and Dawkins don't and if they are the chosen wingers, there will be less goals and less points.

How often do those two gave on days?

No issue with anywhere else on the team.

We would have been in trouble without Dawkin's goal against Donny. It was the most important of the three.

Dawkins' 4 in 26 was disappointing, although his season was even more stop-start than Russell's and he started far fewer games. Jury's out on him in terms of goals until he has a good run in the side after a pre-season with us. He's the best of all our wide players at ball retention and finding a simple pass and there are some games where you need that patience.

Dawkins is never going to be the player to whip in the cross, but he can be the player finishing off the move with a one-on-one situation, or find a full-back overlapping, or drift in centrally and be part of a one-touch passing move.

He had a very poor game yesterday but still could have scored twice. He had a good shot tipped round the post and should have done better with his one-on-one with the keeper in the second half.

Hope we don't do this with players or the team after every match, or else it's going to be a long season and we won't enjoy it.

Archived