Derby County v Rotherham United

Day

We need a winger.

I like Russell and Dawkins. But today wasnt there day. Ive got no doubt they will more good day than bad.

Ward came on and showed why he was on the bench.

I thought he was awful. Gave the ball away. He looks like hes lost a yard of his pace. When we had a break on with Martin running through the middle he couldnt get past his man and plumped an awful ball that Martin could never have got to.

Ward is never going to improve. For me if be looking to get a winger in and move Ward on.

I think you keep ward for this season then don't renew his contract at the end of the year...

Or, he's gone downhill too far by mid season and we replace in Jan and Nige comes-a-calling.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you keep ward for this season then don't renew his contract at the end of the year...

Or, he's gone downhill too far by mid season and we replace in Jan and Nige comes-a-calling.

Wingers are the weak point of our team. I only rate Russell as good enough and that's only because he will give you a return of ten goals. Ward and Dawkins are not going to do that. It's why Bamford was good enough. Blackburn and Wednesday away come to mind. How many of us see Dawkins or Ward scoring a 25 harder out of nowhere?

Now then... was it a foul that dispossessed Pringle? Rotherham fans think it was. Discuss.

There were several occasions where the Rovram players literally threw themselves to the ground both arms in the air the lot and getting free kicks and we got nothing when Hughes was pole axed on the hip twice in the game. The ref was poor.

So no it was never a foul.

We need a winger.

I like Russell and Dawkins. But today wasnt there day. Ive got no doubt they will more good day than bad.

Ward came on and showed why he was on the bench.

I thought he was awful. Gave the ball away. He looks like hes lost a yard of his pace. When we had a break on with Martin running through the middle he couldnt get past his man and plumped an awful ball that Martin could never have got to.

Ward is never going to improve. For me if be looking to get a winger in and move Ward on.

We've played one game.

There were several occasions where the Rovram players literally threw themselves to the ground both arms in the air the lot and getting free kicks and we got nothing when Hughes was pole axed on the hip twice in the game. The ref was poor.

So no it was never a foul.

Agree

Hughes was proper hurt in the first 20 minutes.

Like I said in the prediction thread, I'm going with 3-1 Derby, Martin FRGS.

Think they'll score first though. Just to dampen a few spirits for about 10 minutes. Make people think we aren't going to win the league after all, before Martin equalises and then gives us the lead with another within 5 minutes. Then we can breath a Bananas of relief and go back to being overconfident.

Game dries out and ends up a bit boring until an 82nd minute Hendrick goal finishes Rotherham off properly.

Very specific, I know. But i've got a feeling  :ph34r:

At least I correctly predicted this bit  :lol:

Got the minute and the goalscorer bang on

Wingers are the weak point of our team. I only rate Russell as good enough and that's only because he will give you a return of ten goals. Ward and Dawkins are not going to do that. It's why Bamford was good enough. Blackburn and Wednesday away come to mind. How many of us see Dawkins or Ward scoring a 25 harder out of nowhere?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=47iS4Zutjos

We've played one game.

Im aware of that. Ward was exactly the same last season. He's not good enough.

We need another option there.

Doesnt beat his man, crosses from stupid positions, his crosses are woeful, gives stupid free kicks away cos of his petulance, lost a yard of pace.

A few years ago he was the best of a bad bunch. Now as we have improved, he hasnt. In any way.

He's not going to get any better and for me is an average middle of the road championship player at best.

Im not basing all this after one game. I said the same last season.

There are much better winger options out there.

i do wonder whether our wingers get the training support they need? I only say that because Ward, Dawkins and Russell all have the same basic fault and that's end product. They can all carry the ball at pace, all have good work rate and all seem to relish the challenge. Yet they all seem to lack awareness of the right pass and invariably carry the ball until they run into trouble.

Of course, I have no idea what goes on at Moor Farm and it may be they just aren't up to it, but a session or two on spacial awareness wouldn't go amiss. Good players do the simple things well. They can also control the adrenaline when they need to. I really hope these guys make it, because when on form, they play some great stuff.

I just knew that fans would be like this if we didn't brush aside Rotherham 5-0. 

Ohhh we need to replace all our wingers...the same 3 of 4 wingers who got us to third last season. Fxck me, imagine if they'd have ground out a draw?! Seeing as that's what they came for. 

We don't have a divine right to win anything we have to go out and earn it and today we did. Our goalkeeper and defenders kept the ball out and our midfield got a goal. 

Would have taken the ball bouncing in off Chris Matin's bellend in the 90th minute today just as long as we won. First 5/6 games are about getting points on the board and last 6-8 games are about finishing strongly. The performance doesn't really matter for these 12-14 games. The performances are for when the team are in their groove and have a few points on the table - risks become easier to take. 

He will never be a holding midfielder if he plays to he's 40 , and he's not as good as Hendrick n bryso so the bench awaits for young will

This is purely your opinion and one I disagree with and one, thankfully, McClaren disagrees with. 

Can Hughes play very well in the DM position? yes he can

Is he as good at it as Thorne? no

Are there any better at the position than Thorne in this league? probably not. 

Interesting stats seem to sum it up.

Possession

Derby 67% Rotherham 33%

Total Shots

Derby 10 Rotherham 16

Shots on Target

Derby 3 Rotherham 6

Interesting stats seem to sum it up.

Possession

Derby 67% Rotherham 33%

Total Shots

Derby 10 Rotherham 16

Shots on Target

Derby 3 Rotherham 6

I think these stats are quite telling. We dominated possession but seemed to lack ideas when faced with a wall of 10 men. Its the same problem we faced against QPR. It's also obvious that Rotherham tired of chasing the ball the whole game and I can see this pattern being repeated with us grabbing a lot if late goals.

Our passing wasn't as slick or quick as we saw at the end of last seasson but this will come. We need to find that last killer through ball to put someone in..again this will come.

What we need is serious work on set pieces not just defensively but offensively also. When teams are sitting deep and we struggle to break them down, it's those set peices which can offer an openning. We never look a threat from them. Let's hope best can offer something of an aerial threat here. I would also love to see our centre halfs chipping in with goals like most other teams' do!

I believe we got lucky yesterday. Rotherham had 3 great chances stopped only by last ditch defending. We look panicky whenever the ball is fired with height into the box. Better teams will punish us!

Overall a promising if unconvincing start to the season. I believe this season will be much harder than last. But with time to get back to our slick ways and the ability demonstrated yesterday to grind out a win...I'm very hopeful of a top 6 finish.

Looking forward to seeing Best, OMG, Colero etc on monday (hopefully)

COYR

I think Ward is a slightly above average championship player so he's a good squad player to have. In the play off final thought he was our best attacking threat but as with most wide men he tends to be rather in and out, a lot depends if he has the legs of the fullback as his main weapon is the push and run.

Most of our wingers lack a bit of end product. Russell may score the most as he probably has the more powerful shot when cutting in but also seems to get dispossessed more often than the other two which can be very frustrating.

Dawkins keeps the ball better than the other two and helps the moves progress but needs to vary his runs more (and wont ever be prolific as a goalscorer I feel) but is a player I like generally if Steve can expand his game a bit.

Not sure there are lots of wide men in the Championship who are consistent every single game, but wouldn't hurt to have another loan option.

Archived