Derby County v Rotherham United

Day

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, coming from the guy who said that my opinion was no more valid than anyone else's, it makes you a hypocrite.

Now bore off. I'm still enjoying the result far too much to internet-argue with someone I don't even know.

Indeed.

Overall a "can do better day" obviously - didn't really think we would score once it got to 70 minutes - things just didn't quite click on the day, the passing was a bit off and generally too many players below their best. Needed more from the wide areas and perhaps we were frightened to take a risk at times in the opening game. So its great to get the win!

My marks - Grant 7, Christie 7, Forsyth 6, Keogh 7, Buxton 7; Hughes 7, Hendrick 6, Bryson 5; Martin 6, Dawkins 6, Russell 5.

Subs: Mascarell 7, Best 7, Ward 7.

Overall a "can do better day" obviously - didn't really think we would score once it got to 70 minutes - things just didn't quite click on the day, the passing was a bit off and generally too many players below their best. Needed more from the wide areas and perhaps we were frightened to take a risk at times in the opening game. So its great to get the win!

My marks - Grant 7, Christie 7, Forsyth 6, Keogh 7, Buxton 7; Hughes 7, Hendrick 6, Bryson 5; Martin 6, Dawkins 6, Russell 5.

Subs: Mascarell 7, Best 7, Ward 7.

Grant 7 Christie 9 Forsyth 7 Keogh 9 Buxton 7 Hughes 7 Hendrick 7 Bryson 7 Martin 7 Dawkins 4 Russell 4 Subs Mascarell 8 , Best 8 ,Ward 7

Dawkins and Russell really poor today.

Keogh and Christie get my MOMs

One problem today with the Dawkins / Russell wide combo is they both seemed to prefer to come inside which made things very crowded leading to the ball being lost or having to go backwards again, whereas Ward does actually try to get to the byline which is often necessary to unlock a packed defence.

Christie attacked well down the flank a couple of times (one leading to the goal) and Forsyth often found space on the left in the first half especially but no one looked up and saw him.

Thought Hughes was actually the best midfielder while he was on until getting the neck injury, but Ramage on the radio still trying to make out he hasn't got the physique for the role - think that's just a belief he has already got engrained into him though!

Not sure Mascarell looks like a tackler, seems to be more a passer of the ball in the Butch Wilkins sort of role, did misplace one in a dangerous area but mostly he sprayed it around nicely, would probably say Hughes has more aggression about him though.

One problem today with the Dawkins / Russell wide combo is they both seemed to prefer to come inside which made things very crowded leading to the ball being lost or having to go backwards again, whereas Ward does actually try to get to the byline which is often necessary to unlock a packed defence.

Christie attacked well down the flank a couple of times (one leading to the goal) and Forsyth often found space on the left in the first half especially but no one looked up and saw him.

Thought Hughes was actually the best midfielder while he was on until getting the neck injury, but Ramage on the radio still trying to make out he hasn't got the physique for the role - think that's just a belief he has already got engrained into him though!

Not sure Mascarell looks like a tackler, seems to be more a passer of the ball in the Butch Wilkins sort of role, did misplace one in a dangerous area but mostly he spayed it around nicely, would probably say Hughes has more aggression about him though.

He will never be a holding midfielder if he plays to he's 40 , and he's not as good as Hendrick n bryso so the bench awaits for young will

He will never be a holding midfielder if he plays to he's 40 , and he's not as good as Hendrick n bryso so the bench awaits for young will

Well he was playing there today and McClaren rated him the best player in his interview  so looks like he disagrees with you on that one! Early days yet so suppose we will find out for sure as the season progresses!

Bryson had little impact on the game today. If Hughes wasn't injured we would have benefited by bringing on Mascarell for Bryson and moving Hughes further forward.

Good play today. Martin was having to come short a lot more because no supply was coming from the wide men, As a result he was playing midfield at times and there was nobody to finish the chances. Thinking Best should have come on earlier but we can't argue now, since we got the result.

Very tough game today. They defended deeply and in numbers and were effective at it. We just needed to stay wider and pass it a bit quicker at times to really break them down.

Patience is going to be huge this season, feel we are certainly going to see some more games like this.

We still struggle defending balls in to the box. Can't for the life of me figure out why Evans subbed Revell as he won literally everything. Certainly helped our cause.

With that said, Keogh looked back to normal and had much better game than he has been having! Similarly, Christie played well but was hindered, particularly first half, by Russell pushing into the middle rather than helping him.

Good win, by any means necessary.

A wins a win, but I'm glad we didn't play anyone decent today; Rotherham look like relegation fodder. We didn't really click today and the play generally felt a bit slow and laboured, but it was the first game of the season.

Couple of goal line clearances and good saves from Grant - we do look shaky defensively from set pieces.

Wingers never really got going and I was surprised Dawkins got taken off before Russell. Ward's end product was again poor. I think if Calero can deliver if he starts against Carlisle he's got a chance to challenge for a place on the bench, if not a starting berth. On the subject of the bench, I don't get putting both Eustace and Mascerell on the bench when they play in the same position, surely Calero or Bunjako would offer something else?

Thought Christie looks really promising and was my MOM. Hughes surprised me at defensive midfield and put some good tackles in. Best had a good cameo role as well.

So in summary, some promising things and some of the same issues hanging over from last season, but you can never knock 3 points from the first match.

Yes, my subjective opinion is "madness" :rolleyes:

Can see Dawkins being the latest in a long line of scapegoats when results don't go our way. We're definitely going to need another one if Keogh keeps playing like he did today. Or is that opinion "madness" too?

Or he just isn't very good?

Archived