Derby County v Rotherham United

Day

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dawkins or Keogh?

Because I think both have made pretty good cases to back up the opposite.

Dawkins. In our team I don't think there is any excuse for our wingers not to contribute significantly through assists and goals. In my opinion Dawkins has not contributed since the day he signed permanently. He can take people on but cannot shoot or cross or deliver a killer ball.

Keogh I would defend. (No pun) yes he isn't the worlds best defender but any defender will look exposed on our team. He tries to play football and isn't scared to take it out the back four himself. He does wear his heart on his sleeve and puts a shift in every time. Do you see Dawkins putting the same effort in?

Thought Rotherham played well. We're clearly hoping to pinch it from a set piece. As they started to gain confidence that they could get more then we began to finally, after over an hour, dug Martin out of that squished defence/midfield. Somehow we played a defensive team and managed to counter attack them for the win.

Good job really because it was all too slow. We rely on playing off Martin so much and playing into him with pace is where it all starts for us. Getting sandwiched like he did just nullified us. We started with so much pace and lost it within 5/10 minutes. Then it was a red brick wall. Got to play faster

I thought we looked less likely when Omar came on because Hughes is more aggressive on the ball. More forward thinking. I'm sure Omar just wanted to get a feel for the pace and for his teammates. Not worried at all. But in this match he was just tidy.

Grant was great. Really good.

A few players still finding their range again. Only really Hendrick looks to have picked up where he left off in terms of aggression and pace. Then Hughes. The rest I'm sure will build up

Plenty of credit to Rotherham. But not to Green who just wanted to kick people.

Can't expect to be at full speed all the time and on the opening day but the pace just wasn't quite there today.

Decent performance from Best on the LW too.

There will be days when Dawkins is our best player and other games when others stand out today was not his day but neither was it Russell's.

Because he is more of a footballer than Keogh  and the way he is balanced and moves it will look like he is not putting in the same effort has others but that is not the case.The same applies to Hughes,mascarell and others in the past that have had the same thing levelled at them.

Just because they are not tearing around diving into last ditch tackles and waving their arms around blaming others like our captain at times does not mean they are not trying.

On the back of that one win some bookies now making us 6/1 favourites from 8/1 with Cardiff next best at 9/1, bit of an over reaction that I think, what would have happened if we had played well lol.

Though suppose Fulham and Cardiff not winning is part of the reason too.

Dawkins seems to split a lot of opinion. Last week a really good game v Rangers and this week not so effective.

I think he is the classiest of our wingers by some distance technically but he doesn't look like he will score a high percentage of chances on offer as he often seem to take an extra touch too many and get blocked out.

Plus he needs to go down the outside more for variety and then will be more helpful as regards getting crosses in.

But he does keep hold of the ball in tight situations where the others would often lose possession which is a good attribute to have and helps our "footballing" style when he is on song.

Dawkins seems to split a lot of opinion. Last week a really good game v Rangers and this week not so effective.

I think he is the classiest of our wingers by some distance technically but he doesn't look like he will score a high percentage of chances on offer as he often seem to take an extra touch too many and get blocked out.

Plus he needs to go down the outside more for variety and then will be more helpful as regards getting crosses in.

But he does keep hold of the ball in tight situations where the others would often lose possession which is a good attribute to have and helps our "footballing" style when he is on song.

Just the nature of a creative player. There will be games where one of our wingers plays well, and ones where none of them do.

It's just a case of rotating options if they're not working. And you forget it, and go again next time.

I thought Jeff was superb, looked very confident and up to speed, match sharpness wise. Didn't see enough of Bryso today though, maybe because moves were going through Jeff and Will. Good thing is we have a number of players who can create something. Grant was very good too.

We're rusty, just need a few games to crank into life. Good win to start though

A wins a win, but I'm glad we didn't play anyone decent today; Rotherham look like relegation fodder. 

Relegation fodder? They were well organised and tough to break down, frustrated us no end. They'll grind out enough wins with goals from set pieces to be fine in my opinion.

I think Bryson was made to look out of sorts cus he got nothing when he tried to get beyond Martin. Every time Fat Berbatov got the ball he had two or three players squeezing him and not letting him put the ball round the corner. They best get used to it cus a lot of teams will do the same...

The problem, as someone already pointed out, you have two wingers who prefer to cut inside, needed to stretch them with some width and that was what happened when Ward came on.

Keogh looked much better today, exactly what he needed, clean sheet, cheering on from the stands, perfect tonic.

Best added something different, opened up some much needed space for Martin.

Christie MotM for me. 

I still think we need another winger.

The problem, as someone already pointed out, you have two wingers who prefer to cut inside, needed to stretch them with some width and that was what happened when Ward came on.

Keogh looked much better today, exactly what he needed, clean sheet, cheering on from the stands, perfect tonic.

Best added something different, opened up some much needed space for Martin.

Christie MotM for me.

I still think we need another winger.

I'd expect another on loan. Then we would have the 2 options from the bench as we did last year.

A ring rusty performance today but we got the 3 points which is the important thing. Rotherham will feel they did enough to get something out of the game, which I can understand, but in the end it was that bit of quality that separated the teams.

We need a winger.

I like Russell and Dawkins. But today wasnt there day. Ive got no doubt they will more good day than bad.

Ward came on and showed why he was on the bench.

I thought he was awful. Gave the ball away. He looks like hes lost a yard of his pace. When we had a break on with Martin running through the middle he couldnt get past his man and plumped an awful ball that Martin could never have got to.

Ward is never going to improve. For me if be looking to get a winger in and move Ward on.

Archived