Discussion of Patrick Bamford during his 2014 loan spell

Duracell

He has had a few assists as well and showed incredible vision in his pass to Hendrick against florist and against Brighton. I think some of you are giving him too much stick. His goal return ratio from the wing position is is probably better than Wards'. Anyone doing the statistics? 

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

20 years old, natural finisher, bit lazy but that can be worked on...but then if he bangs goals in I couldn't give a toss, you didn't see Berbatov charging round the pitch did you? £1.5m and under sign him.

Can't believe people are writing him off.

The thing is though, it's not just the lack of effort that's the problem.  He's really careless in possession - he gives the ball away a ridiculous amount compared to the rest of the team.  And for all the talk of him being clinical, he's missed a lot of very easy chances as well.

The thing is though, it's not just the lack of effort that's the problem.  He's really careless in possession - he gives the ball away a ridiculous amount compared to the rest of the team.  And for all the talk of him being clinical, he's missed a lot of very easy chances as well.

As has every single player who has ever lived. Even Bucko missed from 2 yards at Middlesbrough this season. How many has Ward missed - or Wisdom, Martin, Russell, Bryson, Hendrick etc etc. Keogh this season has missed 3 free headers from inside the 6 yard box that I can see in my mind now. There have been games this season where if just half of every decent chance had been taken, we would have bagged double figures - but it seldom works like that.

As has every single player who has ever lived. Even Bucko missed from 2 yards at Middlesbrough this season. How many has Ward missed - or Wisdom, Martin, Russell, Bryson, Hendrick etc etc. Keogh this season has missed 3 free headers from inside the 6 yard box that I can see in my mind now. There have been games this season where if just half of every decent chance had been taken, we would have bagged double figures - but it seldom works like that.

Yeah, I get that, but all of those other players are contributing majorly in other areas as well.  Bamford is literally a goalscorer and nothing else, so if he's missing chances he's contributing nothing (in fact he's a borderline liability).  To justify not putting in the effort and struggling to keep possession, he's got to pretty much put away every chance he gets, and he's not going to do that.

If we could get him on a permanent deal, I would be very excited.

He has all the potential in the world, he needs to be nurtured and looked after but you can see a Premier League top 6 player in him, in my opinion.

He has the touch, the vision, the finish... Yeah, there is lots to work on, but on a permanent deal, I'd be well made up.

Yeah, I get that, but all of those other players are contributing majorly in other areas as well.  Bamford is literally a goalscorer and nothing else, so if he's missing chances he's contributing nothing (in fact he's a borderline liability).  To justify not putting in the effort and struggling to keep possession, he's got to pretty much put away every chance he gets, and he's not going to do that.

So the pass to Hendrick against Forest was 'nothing else', or the excellent cut-back against Brighton?

I think you've had a bit too much jam, duncan. The sugar's got you over-excited.

:p  ;)

Oh sorry, I read your name and automatically turned it into an anagram.

Bamford is class, a couple more seasons with Schteve and the laziness he sometimes shows can be pushed out of his game.

Id like to see him play down the middle more but obviously the way Martin has been playing he hasn't really had a chance.

I think he will only sign if we get promoted though. 1.5m - 2.5m if fair IMO, but not sure if chelsea will part with him for that.

Bamford's got a lot to his game, labeling him just as a goalscorer is madness. He has created as much, if not more than Dawkins, Ward and Russell, per minutes on the pitch.

Yeah, he losses the ball more than those three and sometimes he'll try and do too much - he's a young player still learning the ropes. Once he learns them, he will be a top half Premier League player.

If we could sign him at the right price for his current ability <£2M it would be worth doing. At the moment he is a long way from having learnt the game, but he is at the right place to do that if he listens and acts on what he is told. I would not call him lazy, it is just not a natural part of his game yet to get more involved.I think to call his recent pass to Hendrick 'incredible vision' is a bit over the top. The guy was standing on his own unmarked 6 yards away - if he hadn't of passed to him it would have been criminal. I am sure that he is smart enough to realise that top footballers work hard as well.The days of a Jimmy Greaves or Denis Law type player have long gone (if you are young look 'em up on the tinternet thingy).

I sometimes think he tries a little too hard  to impress with his attacking game, to the detriment of his overall performance. I actually think that if he had the pressure of trying to impress Chelsea scouts all the time removed, his game would be better for it.

But yeah, I can't believe some of the comments. We're good. Very good, in fact. But not good enough to pass up on opportunities like Bamford, should they arise.

If we could get him without overpaying then I would definitely have him. If he worked hard in pre-season and Steve could get him to increase his work rate then I reckon he could be a real asset to the club in the future.

How many people this time last season were excited by the prospect of us signing Martin, and look how that's turned out     :D

With Chelsea set to offer Lukaku and new long term contract, as well as a fee being agreed for Costa, along with an abundance of quality out wide, I just can't see where he'll ever get a look in there.

If we go up, before anything else, I'd just put our offers on the table the loan trio. If we can get all 3 of them for let's say 6/7m<, then it'd be cracking business. Would set us in a really good stead for the future in terms of potential, fitting along with our current style of a young squad, as the resale value is almost certain to be higher, even if relegation occured..

Archived