Change of formation way to solve Thorne conundrum?

Leicester Ram

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3-5-2? Bring in another centre half and play with Christie and Forsyth as attacking full backs, hughes, Hendrick, Bryson in the centre all floating around and Russell, Martin up top.

Not a bad shout that, it makes sense when you have full backs that play more like wing backs. Bring in a CB with pace and the defense drop into 5-3-2.

Flat 4-4-2

Grant

Christie Keogh Buxton Forsyth

Dawkins Bryson Hughes Ward

Martin Russell

Problem is, that feels more like a 4-2-4 and would probably end up that way in the fluid motions of play. Dawks, Martin, Russell and Ward will all want to get forward and we'd end up a bit exposed I think.

I like 4-3-3. Sorry, not for me.

I'd rather have Ward upfront with Russell playing on the wing. In my opinion Ward is a far better striker than he is a winger, he was at his best in the 2012-13 when he was playing upfront alongside Sammon; with a better strike partner in Martin he could be lethal.

3-5-2? Bring in another centre half and play with Christie and Forsyth as attacking full backs, hughes, Hendrick, Bryson in the centre all floating around and Russell, Martin up top.

You're on to something man. That's a great shout.

I'd rather have Ward upfront with Russell playing on the wing. In my opinion Ward is a far better striker than he is a winger, he was at his best in the 2012-13 when he was playing upfront alongside Sammon; with a better strike partner in Martin he could be lethal.

It matters not which way around they are.

1) It's not going to happen anyway

2) You still essentially have 4 strikers on the pitch.

Please please no. All that's doing is changing a winger for a centre half, with no other real advantage.  It doesn't even solve the issue at hand, in that there's still no genuine sitting midfielder, just Bryson, Hendrick and Hughes all competing for the same space in midfield. But there's now no real pace out wide - the fullbacks got forward plenty enough last season, you're just making it harder for them without them having a winger to overlap.  A sitting midfielder to control possession and 2 pacy wingers to stretch teams was key to how we played last season.

Grant

Cyrus, Keogh, Bucko, Forsyth

Russell, Bryson, Hendrick, Ward,

Hughes

Martin

Go for the 5-3 each week.

Bryson and Hendrick both have the running to get up and back, play Hughes as the AMF behind Martin. 

It won't happen though.

It'll be Eustace of Hughes in the holding role. It'd waste Bryson's motor and Hendrick can't play it, it's been tried.

Perhaps the 2 holding players version could work, something like:

Grant

Cyrus, Keogh, Bucko, Forsyth,

Eustace  Hughes

Dawkins         Bryson        Russell

Martin

Na..that's a rubbish idea.

4-2-3-1

This is the only tweak i would make

Would make us a bit lobsided though as hendrick, bryso and 1 other in midfield. Hughes and Eustace holding.

We played the best footie since the early days of Jim Smith/ home games under Burley. Dont change whats not broke.

We stick with 4-1-2-2-1. If doesnt work we revert to 4-2-4. For that though we need decent pairing with Martin............

Archived