Change of formation way to solve Thorne conundrum?

Leicester Ram

433. Everyone knows the shape, where to press, when to press, by now they know each other's jobs.

LeicesterRam just here to cause trouble. He's laughing at us because his team has just picked up Ulloa for a bargain

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3-5-2 is a good shout, looked good at the WC and I think Van Gaal has used it in friendlies with United.

4-2-3-1 could work as you can pair an experianced Eustace with someone like Hughes, Hendrick or Hanson giving them a bit more freedom and giving more energy to the defensive midfield position were it just with Eustace.

4-2-2-2 if we wanted to play with two strikers again

Every time someone suggests the "good old 4-4-2" I die a little on the inside 

Every team should be well versed in 4-4-2. It's a basic, back to square one formation that is always an option.

But by no means do I ever want it to be the formation we rely upon. We can do better than 4-4-2. 

But I agree with what's being said, 4-3-3 is the best chance we have. Eustace is not that bad. He just needs telling that he's too old to be caught out of position. Just hold the midfield and don't go walkabouts, because unlike Thorne, you don't have the legs to get back.

Formations tend to follow trends anyway, 442, 352, 451, 4231, 433.

I think in general 2 up top is out of fashion at present, but as a default the pretty much every footballer understands, it'll always hang around.

Unless we take to playing Russell or perhaps Bennett with Martin we're not cut out for 442 anyway.

TBH, when we're good we're more front 5, back 5 and let the front 5 do whatever they will.  

Formations are just numbers anyway.

For example, somebody poo-poid the 352 suggestion.

When we're attacking, the full backs bomb forward, Martin drops deep and plays behind the wingers, who by this point have tucked in and the DM has joined the defence.

Guess what formation that is!

I also noticed that whenever Hendrick played he would drop deep alongside Thorne whenever we were looking to build an attack. Bryson would then play slightly more centrally until the attack had been initiated. 4411 is that not?

Our formation constantly changes throughout phases of play anyway. So there's not much point trying to pin one down.

i dont know what team you've been watching for the past year, derby like to control the games and often have more possesion 

And we never have men back defending, they are up the pitch waiting for the counter. We do control the game through a fast pressing game to win the ball back ASAP and get it to the forward players quickly, thus catching out the opposition defence, thus counter attacking.

And we never have men back defending, they are up the pitch waiting for the counter. We do control the game through a fast pressing game to win the ball back ASAP and get it to the forward players quickly, thus catching out the opposition defence, thus counter attacking.

everyone except martin drops back

when we win the ball we tend to retain possesion

you cant control games counter attacking 

everyone except martin drops back

when we win the ball we tend to retain possesion

you cant control games counter attacking 

Of course you can. We continue pressing them and make sure that we maintain a high tempo. Under Clough we saw more goals like the Yeovil one where we slowed play down and retained possession, but McClaren had us move the ball quicker and catch teams on the counter.

We play both really. A lot of our goals were counter attacking goals when you look at it, but obviously we like to control games and possession also.

This is what I'm saying. We do like to control possession but watch what happens when we lose the ball, suddenly the tempo picks up and we transition to catch them on the counter.

Archived