Change of formation way to solve Thorne conundrum?

Leicester Ram

Definitely would solve a fair few problems if we went back to the old 4-4-2.

Possible ST: Martin, Sammon, Russell, Ward, Calero, Bennett

Possible wingers: Russell, Dawkins, Ward, Coutts, Bennett, Calero

Possible CM's: Bryson, Hendrick, Hughes, Coutts, Bunjaku, Eustace

Probably still need to get another ST in, but the would actually solve the issue. We have a lot of attacking players, so why not create another atttacking role? I'm a massive fan of 4-3-3 and as soon as Thorne got back I'd want to revert to it, but I feel we'd be still effective with 4-4-2 plus it could save us having to get in another player. I've also always thought Ward's at his strongest playing a role just off the striker, Russell also thinks that's his best position too.

Also should point out a major drawback is our CM's wouldn't be as effective. Doubt Bryson would be as good but I'm just spitballing.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't work under Clough well enough for me.

I think Hughes will start in the first game in the CDM role, to accommodate the 3 top quality midfielders, because McClaren keeps putting him there and clearly rates him in that holding role, plus it keeps all 3 happy,

If it doesn't work, we've always got the loan market. I don't think Martin will be anywhere near as affective in a two upfront partnership, nor do I see McClaren changing the formation which served us so well last season.

When Mac was talking about GTs injury he said the rest of the squad would need to 'fill in'. That said to me, no new signings, no change in system, but I expect this could be subject to change before Rotherham.

I would be all in for a new formation if it worked, I trust in our gaffer to make the right choice. Intrigued to see what they decide to do either way.

Our current 433 formation suits the players as much as suits our style. 3 in midfield allows us to overrun opposition, as even when they play 3 against us we have too much quality. To ensure we're not weak at back though we require a disciplined holding mid, I'm not sure whether Hughes can play this role yet.

The team know our formation, making it more effective, however I do agree a plan B formation would be helpful against certain teams, and could be needed as/when injuries become an issue!

Eustace and Hughes to take the position. No need to change formations, or anything. Hope GT back in January and we are still top six.

The bit that worries me is that effectively we are the team before Wisdom, Thorne and Bamford and only Christie has come in to replace one of those three. So we are for me weaker than last years team.

Why toss one of our biggest strengths last season from losing one player who we only had for the run in last season?

Hughes and Bryson (not to mention Hendrick) work best when someone else is playing the deep role and able to distribute the ball. Completely dropping that position would limit their overall effectiveness and stretch the numbers for players who could play upfront. Martin and Ward don't look a great match up front and neither would Martin and Russell, we'd need to sign another striker (as we already do) who's more of a threat in the air to justify such a change in formation.

At the moment we're not without options for the defensive midfield role, the key though is not destroying how we play over one injury. We've got:

1. Eustace - Mightn't be up to a full season, but showed this season that his experience and positioning is great for the role

2. Coutts - Another option, depending on fitness

3. Hanson - Young, but looks promosing

4. Hughes - He can perform the distribution role, not so sure about the defensive and holding side of it

5. Hendrick - Didn't do that well there last I saw, but who knows

There also the option of signing another player for the role, as to be blunt about it Eustace isn't getting any younger and the play this season seemed to be him playing the secondary role of coming on late and playing when needed. With this being his last season we could bring in an option to rotate him with, even as a permanent transfer, and have them as competition for Thorne once he's back.

Eustace and Hughes to take the position. No need to change formations, or anything. Hope GT back in January and we are still top six.

The bit that worries me is that effectively we are the team before Wisdom, Thorne and Bamford and only Christie has come in to replace one of those three. So we are for me weaker than last years team.

We have more depth in the development squad, extra pacey options in Santos and such, as well as Christie who looks very promising. Christie will give us something different at rightback too.

We also have a season of experience in the team and will go at it from the start, rather than already into the season.

Flat 4-4-2

Grant

Christie Keogh Buxton Forsyth

Dawkins Bryson Hughes Ward

Martin Russell

Problem is, that feels more like a 4-2-4 and would probably end up that way in the fluid motions of play. Dawks, Martin, Russell and Ward will all want to get forward and we'd end up a bit exposed I think.

I like 4-3-3. Sorry, not for me.

3-5-2? Bring in another centre half and play with Christie and Forsyth as attacking full backs, hughes, Hendrick, Bryson in the centre all floating around and Russell, Martin up top.

If we could get a solid CB then that formation would have us destroying other teams. 

both burnley and leicester used 4-4-2 last season

And once Mac came in, we were just as good as them, and did a lot of catching up.

It's kind of not so bad doing it in an English league as many other teams still use antiquated formations and tactics. But why go backwards just because one player's injured?

352 is very similar to our 433 in terms of the number of attacking players but we may be a bit too exposed defensively in wide areas.

I would stick with 433 with Eustace playing the Thorne role against Rotherham and see how it goes. If we're winning he could come off in the 2nd half for a rest. If we're losing or drawing we may throw on another attacking option anyway. One game at a time. Maybe a premier league loan if it's not working?

Archived