Jamie Hanson

Posh Ram

Any youngster thrown in is bound to make the inevitable mistakes due to experience,the short term price you have to pay for the long term gain.So the big question is when do you throw him in? People talk of a promotion season and want a DM loan bringing in straight away,whilst others want this and to give Hanson occasional game time.The problem I have with this is that Eustace goes to the bench as cover,and Hanson gets blocked.For those who talk of a promotion season,what happens when we go up -do we then block his progress because it's a staying up season?

I get a bit exasperated when everyone purrs about our Academy,but don't seem willing to take on board the visible 'pathway' that Clough often talked of.I want promotion as much as anyone,but if it were 'shelved' for the sake of bringing a promising youngster through (in the circumstances we now find ourselves in),I'd be happy.We're all different and some always want things instantly-for my part I've always warmed to a youngster of our own being brought through.After all,they're not of the bottle,they're the special ones.

All good points. It has to be to be fair to say that an academy player has less chance of making progress to the first team now than under Clough for a few reasons:

1. We have a greater perceived chance of promotion so risks are less likely to be taken.

2. More money has been made available to SM and therefore squad deficiencies or injuries are more likely to be resolved by buying or loaning a player.

3. We have more clout in the loan market because of SM's reputation.

It does make me wonder whether Hughes and Hendrick would have the opportunities and made the same progress under current circumstances. We'll never know.

We were very lucky with injuries last year and let's hope we haven't used it all up. If we have, Hanson might get his chance.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're right. We have to take every team seriously. We're not going to go up if we don't.

Exactly. This is the absolute worst game we could get Rotherham. On a massive high, us practically on a low or with a hangover.

This could really affect our atmosphere this season if people just turn up expecting to hammer teams.

Exactly. This is the absolute worst game we could get Rotherham. On a massive high, us practically on a low or with a hangover.

This could really affect our atmosphere this season if people just turn up expecting to hammer teams.

Maybe, but it'd be even worse to have someone like Cardiff away first game. As long as we play at our best against Rotherham, we can beat them and prove we're not suffering from the so called "Playoff Hangover". The first 5 games are vital because we have to show that we're going to contend at the top of the league again.

Derby-Rotherham 5-0.

Proper hammering. Less is not an option.

I doubt that we will hammer them tbh.

Its going to be an interesting game.

Pringle and Green presumably lining up in midfield for them.

Agard up front possibly with Matt Derbyshire - one of Schteve's big signings for Forest.

If we lack anything atm its a few goals.

Also all the talk of promoting Hanson to the first team, why not give Kwame Thomas a chance as a substitute? If he's good, he can replace Sammon as our impact striker off the bench, if he's not ready for the first team yet then we've not lost anything but we know he needs developing more.

Oh god.

Let's start with the underestimation and the "turn up and we will win every week" mentality.

You're right. We have to take every team seriously. We're not going to go up if we don't.

...relax a bit? I'd have said the exact same thing in 2011. There's no underestimation of Rotherham, there's never an easy game to have your debut in but putting him on for the last 30 minutes in our opening game of the season is one of the better times too. Low pressure game, comparatively. Also, he'll be up against Paul Green at CM.

It was more of a suggestion for what would be best for assessing Hanson in a reasonably fair envvironment than a dismissal of Rotherham,

Archived