Jamie Hanson

Posh Ram

A lot of people are suggesting him as a potential Thorne replacement. I must admit that I haven't seen much of the guy, mostly just in highlights for U21 games. But my instinct is that he should be given a chance. If he struggles then we've got Eustace to fall back on and his ability at set-pieces may well come in handy. I don't see a great replacement for Thorne in the loan market - Chalobah for example just doesn't have the same defensive attributes imo. Which means we'd probably be looking at a move from abroad (Tejeda?) or promoting Hanson.

What does everyone else think?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree. Eustace featured for 60 odd minutes against Zenit, meaning that it's likely that another player will feature in the holding role tonight. Coutts? If fit? Hanson? Hughes? We shall see. Give him a chance tonight and against Burton and Rangers, and make a decision then.

But, as apparently we've tried for Andrews after the injury, it seems we may be looking for a replacement

I think we should try and find the solution from within in the first instance.

Whether it is eustace, coutts, hanson, christie, hughes, bryson.......

I don't really mind.

I'm convinced that we will see Hanson get some match time once the season starts. Eustac just doesn't have 2 x 90 minutes of football a week in him any more

They have been deliberately training Hanson up to play the defensive midfielder/holding role, and I've heard nothing but positive reports (not seen him play meself I admit)

I like him, but I don't know if he's ready. I'd like to see a bit more of him maybe coming off the bench and slowly build him in. But I'm not sure giving him the Hughes treatment (throwing him straight in from the start) is going to benefit him. He certainly has a sightly bigger role now that Thorne is out, but we'll see.

I've never seen the guy play so I can't comment about whether he's mature enough or good enough to fill the role. But what everyone is saying about his set piece abilities excites me because we've obviously struggled a lot in that respect. However, would a few more goals from set plays outweigh the inevitable mistakes due to inexperience? And if he did come into the side but ended up struggling, would that effectively wreck his career?

My guess is that they'll start the season with Eustabio, and bring Hanson on for the last 20 minutes if we're comfortably winning - get him some first team match action in a low-pressure environment - then hope he gradually steps up

If it doesn't pan out then expect a season long loan to come in

Hanson is untried so it would be a big risk. The we will get a loan.

Everyone was untried at some stage. That argument would have prevented us playing Hughes, Hendrick or Bennett over the last few years.

I think Whitbread and O'Brien being predictably injured hasn't helped.

True but surely if it would've been more important to try Hanson in that role if he's seen as being an option there this season (they could've slotted someone else in as CB)? Suggests that we are going to be bringing someone in.

Everyone was untried at some stage. That argument would have prevented us playing Hughes, Hendrick or Bennett over the last few years.

Yes but previous seasons were not promotion seasons. I would love our young talent to be further developed, but it's a little risky to put so much pressure on an 18 year old to fill a very very good players position.

Yes but previous seasons were not promotion seasons. I would love our young talent to be further developed, but it's a little risky to put so much pressure on an 18 year old to fill a very very good players position.

Like I said before, we replaced Roy McFarland with Peter Daniel out of the reserves - and the reward for not panicking was the biggest prize in the English game. 

I've never seen the guy play so I can't comment about whether he's mature enough or good enough to fill the role. But what everyone is saying about his set piece abilities excites me because we've obviously struggled a lot in that respect. However, would a few more goals from set plays outweigh the inevitable mistakes due to inexperience? And if he did come into the side but ended up struggling, would that effectively wreck his career?

Any youngster thrown in is bound to make the inevitable mistakes due to experience,the short term price you have to pay for the long term gain.So the big question is when do you throw him in? People talk of a promotion season and want a DM loan bringing in straight away,whilst others want this and to give Hanson occasional game time.The problem I have with this is that Eustace goes to the bench as cover,and Hanson gets blocked.For those who talk of a promotion season,what happens when we go up -do we then block his progress because it's a staying up season?

I get a bit exasperated when everyone purrs about our Academy,but don't seem willing to take on board the visible 'pathway' that Clough often talked of.I want promotion as much as anyone,but if it were 'shelved' for the sake of bringing a promising youngster through (in the circumstances we now find ourselves in),I'd be happy.We're all different and some always want things instantly-for my part I've always warmed to a youngster of our own being brought through.After all,they're not of the bottle,they're the special ones.  

Archived