Gary Mackay-Steven - FLW sources

tomonred

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everyones saying he's great. How many people watch the SPL on a regular basis?

I do, Inverness CT are my second team. Mackay-Steven has always been good when I've seen him play, would take some adjusting to the Championship but only about as much as Russell.

I do, Inverness CT are my second team. Mackay-Steven has always been good when I've seen him play, would take some adjusting to the Championship but only about as much as Russell.

Weird second team pal got to be some Scottish blood in ya.

Why does that matter? McClaren rarely plays our wingers for the full 90 minutes.

Ward played 90 mins 13 times

Dawkins played 90 mins 4 times

Russell played 90 mins 9 times

Bamford played 90 mins 4 times

I don't know why you bother. Ward is an excellent player but once the sheep make their mind up, facts and logic will never sway their mind.

Fairly neutral about this would have thought cover for Martin is more important

Why do we need cover for a player who regularly completes 90 mins and very rarely misses a game? Surely we utilise the loan market as and when we need to?

We generally use 4 wingers every game, therefore it would be more ideal we fish in that market.

Everyones saying he's great. How many people watch the SPL on a regular basis?

You could flip that and question why some think he's not worth signing based on watching him in how many games?

Why do we need cover for a player who regularly completes 90 mins and very rarely misses a game? Surely we utilise the loan market as and when we need to?

We generally use 4 wingers every game, therefore it would be more ideal we fish in that market.

The issue is that without him we struggled last season and there is no second option. Say he's taken injured on a wet Thursday and we play on Saturday. Then what?

We also need some competition for him and another option. Having one player for the role in the squad is madness considering it's importance.

Personally think we need both... a goalscoring AM and cover for Martin... the few games Martin missed last year (may only have been one thinking about it) we REALLY missed him... And it would be good if he could rest the odd game to make sure he's fresh... I'm sure he would have benefited from a break at some point last season...

However I think we'd have a better chance of picking up a young, decent AM than a proper back up for Martin in the Loan market

The issue is that without him we struggled last season and there is no second option. Say he's taken injured on a wet Thursday and we play on Saturday. Then what?

We also need some competition for him and another option. Having one player for the role in the squad is madness considering it's importance.

Dammit Albert! Posting quicker than me!

Personally think we need both... a goalscoring AM and cover for Martin... the few games Martin missed last year (may only have been one thinking about it) we REALLY missed him... And it would be good if he could rest the odd game to make sure he's fresh... I'm sure he would have benefited from a break at some point last season...

However I think we'd have a better chance of picking up a young, decent AM than a proper back up for Martin in the Loan market

To be completely honest, if we really are serious as a team that can not only challenge for promotion, but survive the Premier League, we need to be a passable side losing key players from across the field. At this point in time we can lose: Hughes, Bryson, Thorne, Russell, Buxton, Keogh and even Christie and still have a very strong team. Consider that absentee list, we could still field:

GK: Grant

RB: Freeman

CB: Whitbread

CB: O'Brien

LB: Forsyth

DM: Eustace

MC: Hendrick

MC: Coutts

RW: Ward

LW: Dawkins

ST: Martin

There's enough shuffling possible elsewhere as well to lose Ward as well if others on that list aren't out injured too, as with Dawkins and such, and then of course there's the development squad. We have options across the park and people who can cover in most positions. In fact, taking this as our best lineup:

GK: Grant

RB: Christie

CB: Keogh

CB: Buxton

LB: Forsyth

DM: Thorne

MC: Bryson

MC: Hughes

RW: Russell

LW: Dawkins

ST: Martin

You could pick any player on that list, except Martin, and have a very passable team for the next match. I mean, think about it:

Grant: Roos

Christie: Freeman

Keogh: Whitbread

Buxton: Whitbread

Forsyth: Naylor

Thorne: Eustace

Bryson: Hendrick

Hughes: Hendrick

Russell: Ward

Dawkins: Ward

Martin: ...Sammon

I don't mind Sammon as a player, and I've been vocal in defending him, but he just doesn't seem the kind of player who can play the role that Martin does. He stretches teams, he can cause problems, but he's not the greatest passer, he's not got the technique to do as Martin does and ultimately he's weaker in the area that Martin isn't the strongest in (aerially). I don't mind Sammon, and I think he's a decent player at this level, but the issue here is that it's a position that sticks out quite badly.

Otherwise all I'd really consider from here is maybe another leftback is a really good option for competition for Forsyth came up (a trialist for example), another rightback if Freeman leaves and another options for the wide positions. Competition for Martin though really has to be the top priority now.

Otherwise all I'd really consider from here is maybe another leftback is a really good option for competition for Forsyth came up (a trialist for example), another rightback if Freeman leaves and another options for the wide positions. Competition for Martin though really has to be the top priority now.

Yep... Fundamentally agree with everything there... we need to get a proper back up to Martin who plays in a similar way... Don't think we'll land anyone near as good but at least someone who holds the ball up better than Sammon...

However I think we need another goalscoring AM... Last season we had Russell and Bamford who were forwards, always wanted to score, first thought was "how do I get to goal" and then Ward and Dawkins who are more creative biased, more likely to create a chance for someone else than be aiming to get a goal...

For me we need another goal-scorer as I think we look weaker when playing Ward and Dawkins in the same side...

He was at Shefield Wednesday..... Chris Maguire?

Funny thing you mentioned him. I was chatting to a random SWFC fan a week or so back who reckoned he was their player of the season last year. He was baffled as to why we didn't get more out of him.

I just shrugged and said "that's how Clough dealt with players that fell out of favour".

Yep... Fundamentally agree with everything there... we need to get a proper back up to Martin who plays in a similar way... Don't think we'll land anyone near as good but at least someone who holds the ball up better than Sammon...

However I think we need another goalscoring AM... Last season we had Russell and Bamford who were forwards, always wanted to score, first thought was "how do I get to goal" and then Ward and Dawkins who are more creative biased, more likely to create a chance for someone else than be aiming to get a goal...

For me we need another goal-scorer as I think we look weaker when playing Ward and Dawkins in the same side...

In terms of goals and assists last season we had (goals / assists [per 90 / per 90]:

Martin 20 / 10 [0.48/ 0.24]

Bryson 16 / 14 [0.38/ 0.33]

Bamford 8 / 3 [0.58/ 0.22]

Russell 8 / 1 [0.36/ 0.05]

Ward 7 / 5 [0.25/ 0.18]

Dawkins 4 / 3 [0.21/ 0.16]

Hendrick 4 / 1 [0.19/ 0.05]

Hughes 3 / 6 [0.09/ 0.17]

Sammon 2 / 2 [0.24/ 0.24]

Buxton 2 / 2 [0.05/ 0.05]

Forsyth 2 / 4 [0.04/ 0.09]

Bennett 1 / 1 [0.32/ 0.32]

Whitbread 1 / 1 [0.30/ 0.30]

Thorne 1 / 1 [0.12/ 0.12]

Eustace 1 / 0 [0.04/ 0.00]

Keogh 1 / 1 [0.02/ 0.02]

Wisdom 0 / 3 [0.00/ 0.09]

Christie 0 / 4 [0.00/ 0.12]

Freeman 0 / 2 [0.00/ 0.41]

Bamford really had quite an effect didn't he? We'll probably see some more loans as this season goes too though. It will certain be interesting.

I don't see the winger position as something that needs strengthening ahead of other areas, I know we will be missing Bamford this season but we have Bennett to utilize instead, he may not score quite as many, but his work rate and build up play will be better. I'd much rather see us go for a hold up player as cover for Martin, with the amount of knocks he takes in a game, its a miracle he missed hardly any games last season.

Archived