Gary Mackay-Steven - FLW sources

tomonred

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I seemed to have missed the 'GMS' hype but I need to know why so many people are pushing for him to sign for us. It doesn't make sense to me.

I recall the biggest criticism of Ward is the fact he hadn't scored in 2014, which I think is fair enough, it certainly isn't good enough. However, GMS has only scored one goal in 17 appearances in 2014 though, and this is in the SPL too, which for many is a much easier division. I'm not going to debate whether that's true or not, although I don't even think there is a debate. 

I've seen clips of him, like everyone has, but he doesn't seem to score or create an awful lot. I'm not saying he would be a good or bad signing but it seems fairly underwhelming, even for 600k. Lionel Ainsworth has comfortably outperformed him on paper over the past season, for example. 

I seemed to have missed the 'GMS' hype but I need to know why so many people are pushing for him to sign for us. It doesn't make sense to me.

I recall the biggest criticism of Ward is the fact he hadn't scored in 2014, which I think is fair enough, it certainly isn't good enough. However, GMS has only scored one goal in 17 appearances in 2014 though, and this is in the SPL too, which for many is a much easier division. I'm not going to debate whether that's true or not, although I don't even think there is a debate. 

I've seen clips of him, like everyone has, but he doesn't seem to score or create an awful lot. I'm not saying he would be a good or bad signing but it seems fairly underwhelming, even for 600k. Lionel Ainsworth has comfortably outperformed him on paper over the past season, for example. 

It really is all potential at the minute, mate. Inconsistent flashes of brilliance. With the right coaching and in the right scheme (I think we've got both covered), I genuinely believe he can be a top-flight player.

I want us to sign him as I see it as an investment. Probably won't be a key player straight away but almost certainly will be in the future. Put the money in now, reap the profits later on. He's not quite as good as Russell yet but his ceiling is so, so much higher.

I don't really have many criticisms of Ward as I think he's a good player, regardless of "end product". Even while he's been on this poor run, he's still added to the games he's played in. While GMS has been suffering from the same thing recently, his season-by-season record is actually pretty good, I think - averaging 1 in 4 over the past two seasons. Not sure about assists but, from what I can remember, he definitely grabbed a few.

But, like always, stats don't tell the whole story and the leagues are hard to compare. Some players have come over and done even better, many others have struggled. I just really think he'd be a great player for us.

Here's an interesting question: Are we actually interested in Gary Mackay-Steven, or are we just going around in circles about twitter?

I think it was a suggestion that turned into speculation that turned into alleged interest. I doubt we're interested in him but I would be happy if we signed him.

Archived