Alan Nixon Tweet -

Harry_Forsyth

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lot of posts in this thread saying why would we buy a striker just to warm the bench.

Why do you all presume we are going to stick with one up top next season?

When McC joined we had only one dependable striker at the club so he had little choice but it doesn't mean that's the plan for next year. Particularly if any of midfielders were to leave.

We've found a system that works and works well, you only have to look at the amount of goals we scored this season to realise that this system is perfect for us. Is it even really just 1 up top, it's 3 really.

Bryson has never been so prolific and was such a highlight because of how we were playing, it catered to him and the partnership he made with Martin was forged because he didn't have to defend so much.

Also, the idea that we only had one dependable striker is complete ********, Ward and Russell have both been second strikers in their time. We'd been playing with two up top and it wasn't working, 4-3-3 brings the best out of the team.

Crouch - 8 goals and 5 assists in 30 Premier League starts last season.

He didn't score in any of his last 6 appearances though. 24th highest scorer in the Premier League too. 

I think Crouch may be a bit out of our range, plus, I don't think he'd suit our style.

I've tried (and of course failed) to get anything concrete out of Nicko. But full marks to Daveo to attempt to disentangle the threads as the one player AN wasn't talking about was McCormack. "Decent money" and a surprise to him as a journo when he didn't think we needed to spend it.

If it was Crouch, he would be an immense signing. Really good feet. Great goalscoring record.

Archived