Alan Nixon Tweet -

Harry_Forsyth

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chris Wood, Cameron Jerome, Carlton Cole, maybe Ashley Barnes...

Someone who is approximately £1m, plays as a number 9, and is superfluous to their parent club. I've only looked at the lower half of the prem. Target man so not  Jamie Vardy... Hopefully not Henderson or someone of his ilk. I'd sooner play Bucko up front.

Only other thing I could think of is a proven striker from a league 1 side that missed out on promotion but no-one really fits the bill.

Ashley Barnes isn't bad? Not too old either?

This is now turning into a highly depressing thread.

Not one single names mentioned on the last few pages would excite me, and certainly not for £1 million plus. I'd barely pay a quid for any of them.

I'd rather save the cash and take my chances with what we've got.

Without meaning to scare anyone - there is one player who fits Alan Nixon's descriptions and kind of makes sense as a signing - although there might be a bit of sniggering from our dear rivals,

Surprising - he would be that alright

Target man - he's certainly got the build anyway

Decent player - sometimes

Add to that that he's a free agent (I believe) so he would possibly consider joining knowing that he's start as cover. Steve McClaren famously signed him before. He has been known to score goals - when he's not busy getting himself into trouble.

I should add that this is not based on any knowledge other than deduction, so we almost certainly aren't signing him.

But can anyone guess the player I'm thinking of?

No

Not one single names mentioned on the last few pages would excite me, and certainly not for £1 million plus. I'd barely pay a quid for any of them.

This is based on the ramblings of Alan Nixon though so we're fairly limited with the snippets he's given us.

£1m+ fee (A little over a million), target man similar (In Nixon's eyes) to Chris Martin, proven talent. The names I've thrown out are Prem players who might fit the profile. Maybe Scottish Prem or unsettled Championship players also worth a look at.

Having looked through Nixon's previous articles though, most of them have been wrong. Ings to West Brom?

This player would basically be a bench player who would play the odd game when Martin was unfit/suspended etc. and just do a job. He'd struggle to do it worse than Sammon, whoever he is. And if they weren't that great and Martin had a lengthy injury, we'd get a loanee in of greater quality anyway.

Does this signing really have to be exciting and pushing the boat out, or should it be a Matty Fryatt signing?

Does this signing really have to be exciting and pushing the boat out, or should it be a Matty Fryatt signing?

Being as the tweets were from last week and nothing has transpired since (In the Mirror or otherwise) I would hazard a guess that Nixon hasn't got a flipping clue.

A lot of posts in this thread saying why would we buy a striker just to warm the bench.

Why do you all presume we are going to stick with one up top next season?

When McC joined we had only one dependable striker at the club so he had little choice but it doesn't mean that's the plan for next year. Particularly if any of midfielders were to leave.

PistoldPete2

A striker wouldnt really warm the bench. Most games we bring a striker off the bench, sometimes two.

We can play two up front. Also Martin might get injured. 

A think a decent striker would get plenty of game time even if he wasnt first choice.

Archived