Saturday 14th - World Cup Match Thread

Srg

Interesting to see no one mentioned joe hart? Didn't think he played to well today, dealt alright with incoming balls, and couldn't have stopped their first goal, but kept coming out to players and getting no way near the ball, what the hell he was doing in not getting back into the Goal after completely failing against balotelli is anyone's guess, damn lucky to have jaguelka their, and left completely standing and helpless against pirlos free kick, that I would put money on that Italy's keeper would have covered

In all honesty i didnt think he had much to do but pick the ball out of the net. Sirigu was much the busier keeper.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In all honesty i didnt think he had much to do but pick the ball out of the net. Sirigu was much the busier keeper.

He only did two things wrong for me. Neither goal was he at fault. When Mario chipped him he did well to make himself big come out and usher him away from goal. But then he just stood there off his line when he should have been heading back to his goal line. Then the Pirlo free kick. It swerved but even if it didn't Hart was moving past where it would have ended up without the swerve. 

Italy are a great side, how can you say they're not?

England aren't a top 10 side, and we cut them open at times because we palyed a very good game going forward.

You will see England play a lot worse than last night, and I can't wait to see your reaction to that.

How do you become a great side? Is the extent of their achievement that they lost in the Euro 2012 final? A final in which they were well and truly humped?

There are only a handful of great sides around at the moment. Italy aren't one of them.

England can and have played worse than this. Defensively, they've also played much better than this.

Where to start;the problem is i'm not supposed to say"I told you so".So I won't.We could

be miles better than Italy,if you read my previous posts I said its all about team selection.

Roy did what I expected - he got it wrong.Italy who must have the worst Italian team in their

history,must have been so relieved when they saw our line-up.By the time we almost got

it right,it was too late.

I've got a great idea start off with your best side.E.G no Gerard,no Rooney,no Henderson

what did they do?Rooney crossed for our goal,but at a sacrifice of being worse than useless

at playing left-sided midfield leaving poor Baines exposed.If we keep going on the way we

are,we will be coming home after the group stages.By the way our defence is crap,too,but

we might get away with that if we get the rest of it right.

Henderson was good. Good energy and a lot of effort put in. He's a good midfield partner for Gerrard who won't be dropped because he's captain and has had a pretty good season for Liverpool. Henderson needs to start.

But I agree about Rooney. He was poor. I'd play Lallana instead - that way our attacking four is fluid and can switch between positions, as Sterling, Lallana and Welbeck are all competent on both wings and as number 10s.

That's unfair to the defence. Baines will get stick but Rooney should have backed him up. Cahill and Jagielka are unspectacular but very solid and have a good partnership. Johnson is poor but who could we play instead?

Overall, I think it was a good effort from England and one we can be fairly proud of. We should get out of the group in second and will then probably face Colombia - not an impossible tie especially given their fragile defence - Yepes too slow and Zapata not great. We've still got a good chance of making the quarter finals, which I'd be more than happy with.

What's more, the future looks very bright. Sterling and Barkley are great young talents and Sturridge is scoring a lot of goals. Shaw will be much better for the experience even if he doesn't get much game time at this World Cup. And we are finally playing an attacking, exciting style of football that suits us well and will mean a lot of goals.

More to the point Italy know how to win.

Indeed. Find your opponents weakness, and exploit it, whilst at the same time making sure that the opposition doesn't do that to you. 

We did one of half of it really well tonight. Sadly, the other half cost us the game. 

Italy by contrast, maximised the first part, and then eventually took care of the second as well.

How do you become a great side? Is the extent of their achievement that they lost in the Euro 2012 final? A final in which they were well and truly humped?

There are only a handful of great sides around at the moment. Italy aren't one of them.

England can and have played worse than this. Defensively, they've also played much better than this.

Defensively they have, but that goes hand in hand with the tactics. You can't expect a team to be excellent in attack and at least not slightly leaky at the back - especially at this level where we're up against top teams.

Depends what you define by great. I'm using it as a word better than good, I'm not calling them a great team in comparison to Brazil 2002 or Spain over the past six years.

We're not really getting anywhere with this, so I'll just bow out and if you guys wish to criticise then that's up to you. 

Defensively they have, but that goes hand in hand with the tactics. You can't expect a team to be excellent in attack and at least not slightly leaky at the back - especially at this level where we're up against top teams.

Depends what you define by great. I'm using it as a word better than good, I'm not calling them a great team in comparison to Brazil 2002 or Spain over the past six years.

We're not really getting anywhere with this, so I'll just bow out and if you guys wish to criticise then that's up to you. 

I guess we all react to England or any of our teams for that matter getting beat in different way, but the truth of the matter is that we lost but if we play like we did in the 1st half we can give Uruguay and Costa RIca a real run for their money.

If the players try their best its all you can ask.

Who was MOTM for you guys?

Candreva for me. Honorary mentions to Darmian, Sirigu and Sterling.

I agree Candreva. He is a very good play both footed and has a great shot on him. Pirlo was as good as ever. Sterling was by far Englands best player

Slightly leaky at the back is one thing Bris, but we literally did the bear minimum to try and help Baines out at LB, even when it was perfectly clear that Italy had recognised the problem and were fully intent on exploiting it. It was always going to be a matter of time before it paid off, and eventually it did. Even after that Baines was caught two-on-one a couple of times. 

The main thrust of our impetus going forward was Sterling, Welbeck and Sturridge. The main problem, at least in the first half, of our left side issue was Rooney not being capable of ably supporting Baines and leaving him exposed far too often. I absolutely hate to say this because I really don't rate the player, but I'd probably have switched Rooney out for Milner and have him support Baines, and leave the forward play to the other three.

Sorry to bring it up again but whatever happens to England it wont be as heartbreaking as what we all experienced a month ago it will merely be a drop in the ocean in comparison. Imo.

Waiting 4 years is the difference. When we lost against QPR I was not too bothered. I recognize how good a side we are. We only have to wait 12 or so weeks for it all to begin again. Where as who knows where England will be in 4 years time. I was really enjoying the WC up until now. I think I would prefer it if we were not involved full stop so I could just enjoy the damn thing. 

Have to agree with everything Bris is saying, that was ok from England....as good as we are going to get.

Italy are a good team, they will be in at least the 1/4 finals and losing to them is not anything we should be embarrassed about.

We looked exciting going forward, a million times better than when we played them in the euros that is for sure.

Baines shouldn't have been left exposed not because of Rooney not tracking back but because Ashley Cole should have been playing instead.

The next two games are set up nicely now!

The biggest disappointment for me was the belief, if we had gone at Italy, really gone at them, we could have beaten them, and then everyone would have been creaming themselves saying e are going to win it.......

Really can't get excited about this England team.

We looked good at times going forward, but defensively frail and to a certain extent quite naive.

Italy put us under some pressure when we were on the ball, but we seemed to keep backing off allowing them space to play. I really don't rate Italy and I think we should have had more than enough to beat them if we were a bit more astute. 

I agree with the point about belief; when are we going to see an England team with the belief to really press the opposition?

I am amazed at the anti-Gerrard sentiment on here. His passing was awesome last night as his stats will testify. He is not as mobile as he was but that's why Henderson is alongside him. 

There are also a lot of Derby comparisons. Exciting, but young and naive. Going into this tournament I have heard a lot of people say they didn't think we would do well but they hoped youth would get a chance and that we would have a go. We did that and now suddenly everyone wants us to be Stoke City.

Archived