Saturday 14th - World Cup Match Thread

Srg

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

England vs Italy is set up for a huge fall IMO. It's supposed to be a classic, but it has low goals written all over it. 

Reckon the best game could be Japan vs Ivory Coast. I watched Japan recently and they played an open game, and they aren't afriad of attacking with numbers.

England vs Italy is set up for a huge fall IMO. It's supposed to be a classic, but it has low goals written all over it.

Reckon the best game could be Japan vs Ivory Coast. I watched Japan recently and they played an open game, and they aren't afriad of attacking with numbers.

I would have said the same for Spain v Holland this time yesterday to be fair!

What I find disappointing is that we had all this talk a few months back about our crop

of young,hungry,pacy players who might surprise other teams.We were going to put

our previous failures behind us including our underachieving players.

So what are we getting?feckin Lampard,Gerard and Rooney bunch of losers,plus

Henderson and Milner bloody carthorses.We will be lucky if half of our kids get a game.

What I find disappointing is that we had all this talk a few months back about our crop

of young,hungry,pacy players who might surprise other teams.We were going to put

our previous failures behind us including our underachieving players.

So what are we getting?feckin Lampard,Gerard and Rooney bunch of losers,plus

Henderson and Milner bloody carthorses.We will be lucky if half of our kids get a game.

Exactly what Scholes said recently.

He said England have no style. They've not won anything with this golden generation. What is it they're scared of losing exactly by pushing out a proper young hungry team.

The Golden Generation ended in 2002.

Just means the likes of Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney, Carrick etc I think. Ones that have been tried and tested over and over. I think he just wants to see Barkley, Sterling, Lallana, Shaw, Wilshere etc just thrown straight in from the start.

He makes some great points. England play all these friendlies and yet there's no defining style. No system that's built and then players selected based on their suitability to that system and style. Why play friendlies? What are they gaining?

Agreed. 

Without wanting to put a dampener on things, I don't understand all of the optimism in the England camp. They are so very average and the dullest of sides to watch.

To quote Hodgson "It's a tough Italian side". Actually Roy, it's not. It's a very , very poor Italian side that has failed to register a win of any kind for some time. 

It has a no scoring draw written all over it (available at a tasty 6/1) simply because neither side is likely good enough to break down their oppositions poor defence. 

Japan on the other hand have plenty of quality up top but a woeful defence. Their best/only policy is attack because they will certainly concede. There will be goals and over 2.5 at odds against (11/10) looks a cert. 

My biggest gripe is we don't play like we do in prem week in week out. We try and play this odd, slow game and look completely ridiculous at it.

premier league's biggest attribute is pace, strength and athleticism. Play like that.

My biggest gripe is we don't play like we do in prem week in week out. We try and play this odd, slow game and look completely ridiculous at it.

premier league's biggest attribute is pace, strength and athleticism. Play like that.

Generally I would agree but in Manaus, playing that style would be suicide, be dead on their feet after an hour tops.

I haven't heard Scholes views but i'm glad i'm not alone.I never bought into the

golden generation "the side picks itself" and all that.They failed every time and yet

here we go again.The conditions are the same for both sides,lets do 'em for pace

and goalscoring like the Dutch,we have nothing to lose.

Dry heat is OK, it's that humid heat which is an absolute drain on my body.

Where I leave it reaches over 40 degrees in summer, though it can be OK because it's dry desert heat. In the south, it's more tropical (and I'm assuming it's similar in North Brazil) and despite being perhaps less degrees, the humidity means you walk one block and it looks like you've just gone for a dip in the ocean fully clothed.

England vs Italy IMO is going to be such a slow game - set pieces are going to be vital, and luckily for England, I'd say we're pretty good at defending them.

The Golden Generation ended in 2002.

I actually disagree with you there slightly.

Despite not performing to great heights, 2006 was such a huge opportunity for us to win the tournament.

We were excellent against Portugal with 10 men, and had we won on penalties, only a poor France side in the semi-finals and a rather average Italy side in the final would have stood in our way.

We never really had a World Class team of such, though our starting XI against Portugal wasn't actually that bad and alot of our players were in their prime. People like Jenas, Sol Campbell, David James, Wayne Bridge and Stewart Downing on the bench showed we had no squad depth though.

That 2006 World Cup was arguably the last time I felt proud watching the team play. Owen Hargreaves was absolutely phenonemal during Portugal and he was so unlucky to come away as a loser.

England need to look at the Dutch and how they played. Not copy exactly as we don't have three forward players that match the Dutch front 3, or 5-3-2 formation as that would not suit our players (we don't have 5 good defenders!)

However, what they did was grow into the game, continually hungry for the ball and hunting and harrying the Spanish players, breaking up the play and all of the Spanish rhythm. The Italians will look to do a similar approach, in terms of pass like the Spanish. If we can show good hustle and energy in pressuring the ball, not giving Italians time on the ball anywhere but their own box (sometimes not even then) we may well win this game.

Archived