When were expectations as high as this?

ariotofmyown

I'm struggling to think of a time when expectations were as high as this during a close season, in terms of going for top 2-3.

When we went up with Jim Smith and Billy Davies the success came out of nowhere, likewise the playoff season with Burley. I don't think anyone expected much more than around 8th when we had those good couple of seasons in the Prem with Eranio and Co, even after seeing Asanovic tearing it up in Euro 96...that was exciting, but no one thought it was going to mean pushing for the title.

Maybe we thought we'd do well when we came down under Jewell, but I hope we didn't.

The only times I can think of high expectations were:

Early 90s (91 or 92) when we spent all that cash on Johnson, Short, Kitson etc. I think we might have been bookies faves then.

Season after relegation with John Gregory...was that when we were rather cocky until Reading dicked us 3-0 in first or second game.

What were the expectations like before the successful seasons with Arthur Cox? I guess we were highly optimistic in the season after winning the league with Brian. What were the hopes like when he went to Leeds?

I think I'm probably looking forward to next season more than if we had beaten QPR. I'm expecting a year of exciting and stylish football with even better results than last year. Losing in the playoffs has afforded us this chance to have an incredible season that will hopefully see us promoted and build further towards a team who can compete in the Prem.

I just hope the players know it's gonna be a really tough season and they are gonna have to work really hard blah, blah, blah. Although I'm taking this for granted too due to the characters in the squad and the quality of our coaching staff.

Nothing can go wrong. I hope. Might need to wait until transfer window shuts to be sure!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember the "We'll be back in 81" T-shirts!

I can't remember it being on a t-shirt, but I can certainly remember us chanting it for much of the second half at Norwich (as well as singing 'Gino' by DMR)

When O'neil got sent off the Derby crowd went mad with excitement, we then expected to win... and my Father in law said this could also st us up for a 'sickener' (he is a seasoned campainer) and as we now know, it did !!

So, i agree, that if we hit a sticky patch, i fully expect there there to be a lot more moaners, as this season we said ' we are having a great season, we didnt expect to win every game'... and cut them some slack.

Next season will be different, remember Spidermans 'Dad'.....

'With great power,comes great responsibility'  :o

When O'neil got sent off the Derby crowd went mad with excitement, we then expected to win... and my Father in law said this could also st us up for a 'sickener' (he is a seasoned campainer) and as we now know, it did !!

So, i agree, that if we hit a sticky patch, i fully expect there there to be a lot more moaners, as this season we said ' we are having a great season, we didnt expect to win every game'... and cut them some slack.

I always thought that was the little Chinese guy in Gremlins

I always thought that was the little Chinese guy in Gremlins

It was actually Peter Parker's Uncle Ben who said it.  And yes, I'm a geek!

I remember the "We'll be back in 81" T-shirts!

Omg that sends a shiver down my spine.

You're right......it does feel like that.

I had a we'll be back in 81 scarf...

Remember wearing it to the Leeds game when we finally did win promotion back....

I had one of those, kept if for a few seasons and considered it to be bad luck so got rid.

I remember expectations to be very high prior to the start of our relegation to the third division season 1983-84? I think we were one of the bookies' pre-season favourites for promotion.

When Pickering first came in and we bought up every decent young player in the country, we had an amazing run and were in the top 2 for some of the time on the final day of the season, only for Boro to score and displace us. Third placed Rams took on sixth place Blackburn in the playoffs. Within quarter of an hour of the away leg we were 0-2 up and heading for Wembley, but it all fell apart. We lost 4-2 and battered them and then some in the home leg, but could only win 2-1. Blackburn spawned their way up and went on to win the top flight!

Meanwhile, as the next season approached and the previews were printed, I remember the Times headline being, "Who will go up with Derby County?" It was that much of a certainty. And yet things went spectacularly wrong. I hope this time around, that horror 91st minute at Wembley wasn't our one and only chance of something special. Football is so much about momentum and we have to regain it very quickly next season. I am confident that we will, but the level of expectation is frightening,.

Correction to opening post, Reading didn't dick us at all. We won 3-0 opening day, we chanted you've only come to see the champions as they all stood aghast as Ravenelli buried one. 

They finished higher than us.

It was the first game of a Reading supporting friend's son. I remember him saying "Don't worry, we won't play teams as good as Derby every week", and then they ended up doing better than us that season, and for a good few after.

I don't like it when we are expected to win or are favourites, I much prefer to be the under dog and go under the radar.  No chance of that this season now though, I just hope the players can cope with the new expectation as this is the first season that most of them (at this club anyway) are expected to do something.

There was an interesting stat in a article before the playoff final about how Derby have done following playoff defeat and we never managed to get up the season after, but on the plus side we always went up within 2 years so even if we don't manage it next season it should come soon.

Correction to opening post, Reading didn't dick us at all. We won 3-0 opening day, we chanted you've only come to see the champions as they all stood aghast as Ravenelli buried one. 

They finished higher than us.

I know Reading beat us in at least one game because Pardew used derogatory comments made by Gregory as his motivational team talk (seem to remember he stuck them on dressing room wall).

I think that Reading game was the most arrogant and confident I've ever felt about a season.

"Come to see the champions," and "we've got Fabrizio, you've got f*** all io" and when they brought on Jamie Cureton "we've got Fabrizio, you've got Jamie Cureton" I honestly thought we were going to walk the division.

When you look at the squad we had, I understand Gregory was trying to trim the wages but with that squad it was criminal to finish so low. I remember losing to Preston early on and Warren Barton got sent off, I think it was then I came to terms with the fact we were not going to bounce back with 100 plus points

Archived