Mark O'Brien

Stuniverse

Sunday People Sport p. 59 (could not find online)

Derby's young centre-half Mark O'Brien, who was dogged by a knee injury last season, is wanted by Barnsley on loan.

Nigel Clough's Sheffield United are also keen on the 21-year old.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

he was only 16 when he made his debut, then had a heart valve problem, came back and was in side, then back to the Under 21's. surprised about Sheff Utd, as didn't think clough rated him, but just shows what team clough built as doing the same in league one,

I wouldn't be comfortable about releasing MOB, I think he's a good defender. 

A season long loan would be best for both parties. He just needs to prove his fitness over a full-season. If he does that, he'll have a place in the squad next season. 

I wouldn't be comfortable about releasing MOB, I think he's a good defender. 

A season long loan would be best for both parties. He just needs to prove his fitness over a full-season. If he does that, he'll have a place in the squad next season. 

Even if we get promoted ?.

He has seemed like the kind of player who could go on to be a Premier League defender. Even with all his injuries, he's always done a job from us, and has been extremely mature for his age on the field. He's still only 21. Hopefully he can get a new 3 year deal, a loan somewhere, get fit, come back and ask to leave if he's not going to be first choice.

Seriously though, I think he needs a good preseason, and to be brought up to speed over this season again, a loan somewhere in League One, maybe with a manager that knows him well, might be good for him. At the same time though, if he did have a good loan spell elsewhere and wasn't looking likely to be first choice, I wouldn't mind him leaving, at his age it's vital for his development, especially after the past few seasons, that he gets himself into a position to play football.

One with him is that he was never very good at playing football. I liked him as a defender, but he never looked comfortable when having to play it out from the back. Obviously something that can be improved with experience and game time. Season long loan to league one please. 

Archived