Our squad if/when the deadwood is shifted

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We actually have a squad of over 20 players under contract. Bolder players is where we need to replace to be on a par with this season squad (but bear in mind how many we're regular starters)

DERBY COUNTY SQUAD 2014 - 15

Keepers

Keele Roos................2016

Mats Morch...............????? (signed first pro contract 2012-13 season)

Lee Grant...................2016

Full Backs

Craig Forsyth...............2016

Kieron Freeman..........2016

Wisdom

Centre Halves

Jake Buxton ......2015 + 1 year

Shaun Barker ......2015

Mark O'brien........2015

Tom Naylor...........2015

Richard Keogh......2015

Whitbread

Midfield

Jamie Ward ........2014 + 1 year

Craig Bryson.......2016

Jeff Hendrick........2015

Will Hughes ........2016

Paul Coutts...........2015

Simon Dawkins ........2016

Thorne

Strikers

Mason Bennett.....2016

Conor Sammon .....2016

Chris Martin.......2015 +1 year

Johnny Russell.....2017

Bamford

So we need to replace 2 first choice regular in Wisdom and Thorne

one cover centre half

One cover striker

One DM in Eustace

At least 5 players unless you count OB as the CB then it's four

We need 8 signings at least

RB

CB (Barker Replacement)

CB (Cover)

LB (Cover)

Thorne

LW- Young winger with the talent and pace to challenge Russell (for strength in depth too)

LW 10-15 goals a season

ST to challenge martin

No sources, it's speculation but I'd argue most of us see it happening. Naylor won't play a starting game under mcclaren, Barkers sadly had it, Freeman will be most likely loan out of sold to Sheffield United. Sammon is excess wages for a potentially great young striker, and I can see ward going.

It's all conjecture, but I see it happening. We need efficiently and these guys are driftwood.

We need 8 signings at least

RB

CB (Barker Replacement)

CB (Cover)

LB (Cover)

Thorne

LW- Young winger with the talent and pace to challenge Russell (for strength in depth too)

LW 10-15 goals a season

ST to challenge martin

Barker -We need to replace a player that hasn't played all season?

CB cover - OB is back from injury and Tom Naylor could improve from coaching by Mac

LB cover I Agree

RB I agree

Thorne -good call

LW - nope Ward Dawkins and Russell and Coutts fighting it out for the wide spots

LW10-15 goals per season - Russell and Ward more than covers that between them.

ST to challenge Martin - I agree

I make that 4 signings not 8

Barker -We need to replace a player that hasn't played all season?

CB cover - OB is back from injury and Tom Naylor could improve from coaching by Mac

LB cover I Agree

RB I agree

Thorne -good call

LW - nope Ward Dawkins and Russell and Coutts fighting it out for the wide spots

LW10-15 goals per season - Russell and Ward more than covers that between them.

ST to challenge Martin - I agree

I make that 4 signings not 8

Good argument but that would leave us with a pretty thin squad, never know when injuries will hit, I'd argue it's always better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I've always thought strength in depth is a good thing in moderation.

I'd be surprised if we signed two CBs. Probably sign Whitbread as cover on the basis that we'll be playing Keogh and Buxton again, with OB and Barker (if he comes back) as additional cover.

Don't know how close Max Lowe is to making a breakthrough into the first team squad but on the basis of Forsyth hardly missing a game I'd be happy to use him as cover if possible.

RB - depends on Freeman. If Freeman's part of our plans then it would be as cover at RB. On that basis we need a first team RB, and then possibly cover dependent on Freeman.

In midfield - all depends on Thorne. If we get him then it will come down to whether or not we'll want to retain Eustace as cover. If not, then we'll need another DM. If we keep Eustace and get Thorne then we don't need another DM. If we don't get Thorne, then it depends on whether we think Eustace is good enough for the first XI. We'd also need to find cover in that scenario. Personally, I'm happy to keep Eustace, but only as cover. Thorne's emergence has highlighted what we lack with Eustace.

As for the rest of the midfield - depends on who comes and who goes. Best case scenario - we retain Bryson, Hendrick and Hughes, in which case no central midfielders needed. If we lose any then I'd be looking at direct replacements.

Out wide - happy to retain Ward. We'll have Dawkins and Russell, and will be welcoming Coutts back. Happy enough with that.

Up front - keep Martin (at all costs!) and add cover.

Best case scenario - we need a RB and cover for Martin.

We got lucky with injuries this year, if we had more next season then I'd look to use shrewd loans to plug any short-term gaps.

Doesn't need wholesale change - providing we can retain our best players, and somehow get Thorne, either perm or loan.

hopefully  get Thorne , Wisdom back   with 3 other additions  ( 1 being an old head eg of Paul McGarth . Dave McKay  calibre  hard to find I know ...  get rid of deadwood  ..and just hope to get the momentum back that carried us on to the play offs ..not to much to ask for  in reality ...but can see us having play off blues and finishing around 9th to  13th  ... :(

We don't need 9 players. We need about 5. Striker, Winger, Holding Midfielder, Center Back, Right Back. 

All of these outgoing players barring the loans were not involved last season. Stop this nonsense of suggesting we need so many players. I expect a few of our home grown players to be making a step up, including Mason and Lowe. 

Archived