Our squad if/when the deadwood is shifted

Just realised how big the overhaul at the club will be this summer....

Players who have already left - Ball, Atkins, Hoganson, Gjokaj and O'Connor

Loanees who have returned to parent clubs - Thorne, Whitbread (free agent), Bamford and Wisdom

Probable players who will be released - Bailey, Legzdins, Davies and Lee Naylor

Players who I assume we will try to sell - Tom Naylor and Sammon.. Possibly Barker and Freeman? Can see Freeman joining Sheff U.

Assuming that we take up the contract extension on Ward and give Eustace a new 1 year contest, our squad will only consist of 17 players...

Grant

Roos

Morch

Keogh

O'Brien

Buxton

Forsyth

Coutts

Hughes

Bryson

Hendrick

Eustace

Dawkins

Russell

Ward

Martin

Bennett

It really did surprise me. I didn't realise how bare bones our squad was after these players depart.

Obviously this is only guess work, Eustace may be released, we may struggle to find a club willing to afford Sammons wages - even with a low fee, Barker may regain fitness, a side may bid for O'Brien or we may decide to keep Freeman as cover.. It also doesn't take into account potential youth players either, who may step up next season e.g Lowe and Thomas

Even with guesses, our squad is looking very thin, even if the players who are departing have not had a massive impact of our squad

It can only make you assume that incomings will be high this summer. Based on my assumptions (obviously may be wrong, and others may have variety of different opinions), I would assume we need players in these positions:

Right back

Full back cover

Centre half cover (Whitbread?)

Defensive midfielder (Thorne?)

Central striker to cover Martin

It's going to be a very interesting summer to say the least. Let's see what McClaren and Evans's targets are. One thing for sure, it's certainly going to be McClaren's squad.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doesn't look so much like a breeze to promotion without Thorne, Wisdom and Bamford in it.

indeed - but perhaps the key is keeping the top performers who actually belong to us and then adding some more permanent signings.

(i've never really been that struck on loans but they've been largely effective this season.)

I reckon we'll bring in 4 or 5 loans again. Hopefully Thorne is a permanent deal and not a loan (if we do get him back), He's only been in the first team 2 or 3 months so after a whole season in it I could see some Prem teams taking notice and going for him

Grant
Roos 
Morch

Loan RB

Freeman

Keogh
Buxton

Whitbread

New CB
Forsyth

Lowe

Coutts

Hughes
Bryson
Hendrick
Thorne

Dikgacoi

Dawkins 
Russell
Ward
Martin
Bennett

Eagles

Macheda

What I'd try to achieve in the summer. That would include making 5 free signings, a loan RB, probably paying out most our play-off cash for Thorne and a new CB.

But I have absolutely zero knowledge of foreign leagues, so it'll be entirely different.

I reckon we'll bring in 4 or 5 loans again. Hopefully Thorne is a permanent deal and not a loan (if we do get him back), He's only been in the first team 2 or 3 months so after a whole season in it I could see some Prem teams taking notice and going for him

Can't see 5 loans. I can see 2 or 3 but I think McClaren will try for permo signings. Just a thought mind, it worked massively this season

Grant

Roos

Morch

Loan RB

Freeman

Keogh

Buxton

Whitbread

New CB

Forsyth

Lowe

Coutts

Hughes

Bryson

Hendrick

Thorne

Dikgacoi

Dawkins

Russell

Ward

Martin

Bennett

Eagles

Macheda

What I'd try to achieve in the summer. That would include making 5 free signings, a loan RB, probably paying out most our play-off cash for Thorne and a new CB.

But I have absolutely zero knowledge of foreign leagues, so it'll be entirely different.

Think Macheda is going to Cardiff.

I also think that we shouldn't be spending any real money on a player who's going to be back-up. For example, suggesting Parr as back up is ludicrous. Just because he's available on a free doesn't mean that we should be paying out PL wages to sit on the bench. If you were to play him at RB, that'd be fine.

Can't see 5 loans. I can see 2 or 3 but I think McClaren will try for permo signings. Just a thought mind, it worked massively this season

Bring in more youngsters who can have an impact in the Championship. If we go up these youngsters might not be ready/good enough for the Prem so we can sign better players. If we sign them on permanents they're likely to get promotion wage rises and bonuses and then just sit on the bench/reserves taking up wages that could be used on better players

Personally cant see Sammon or Naylor going. Why would they?

You need some competition / backup for places

Naylor hasn't even been mentioned since he was loaned out. Has done well in league 2 apparently so I can certainly see a permanent transfer

Sammon is tricky. It wouldn't be a disaster if he stayed as he is an ok impact player but he isn't worth the £15k a week, no chance. I'd try and flog him, but it remains to be seen if someone is willing to take him

Macheda has to be worth pursuing now he's free agent although think Cardiff are sniffing around. Seemed to score plenty whilst on loan at Brum with a few coming off the bench.

Tavernier looked good at RB for Rotherham (on loan from Newcastle) but not sure of his contract situation.

Would be good replacements for Bamford and Wisdom and both being 22 would have room for development under Schteve. I'd rather see us go down this root rather than pick up old prem has beens  with no room for improvement or potential re sale value.

Bring in more youngsters who can have an impact in the Championship. If we go up these youngsters might not be ready/good enough for the Prem so we can sign better players. If we sign them on permanents they're likely to get promotion wage rises and bonuses and then just sit on the bench/reserves taking up wages that could be used on better players

Agreed. But not all the nippers will be successful.. I agree that loans are important to us (and clearly McClaren), but I would prefer us to also sign some proven players

Archived