Our squad if/when the deadwood is shifted

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isn't Wards contract up to?

I was discussing the Sammon situation with my son earlier. Firstly, who would be prepared to take him and secondly how much would we have to spend to replace him. He is no where near one of my favourite players but isn't it sometimes better the devil you know. His wages of 15k if true are a problem so may have to get rid. IMO Bennett is no where near making the step up yet, at least another season.

It's the waiting for it all to pan out that's killing me. I believe all the hard work has been done in identifying new players, it's just getting them now. There will be some surprises, one thing though we do need a couple of older heads to go in where it hurts and do the donkey work for the younger players.

It seems like were going to need to buy quite a few players. The squad has a great team spirit and togetherness so I do worry what effect so many new players could have on that.

Also strangely we're going to be buying a lot of back up players it seems. Back up for Forsyth, Martin, Grant etc.

One of the best things that Clough left was a real 'team' and a group of players that are genuine guys.

Its pretty rare that you look at a team of footballers without there being a good 4 or 5 tw**s in the team but we don't seem to have any! Hope we don't lose that!

Have to say we have either done well in training or been extremely lucky not to have had many serious injuries where we have needed to use the back up players this season. Look at the red dawgs and QPR, both have suffered with big injury lay offs. If that happens to us next year lets hope any new back up players have the experience needed at this level. Otherwise we could struggle.

Macheda has to be worth pursuing now he's free agent although think Cardiff are sniffing around. Seemed to score plenty whilst on loan at Brum with a few coming off the bench.

Tavernier looked good at RB for Rotherham (on loan from Newcastle) but not sure of his contract situation.

Would be good replacements for Bamford and Wisdom and both being 22 would have room for development under Schteve. I'd rather see us go down this root rather than pick up old prem has beens  with no room for improvement or potential re sale value.

Macheda so over rated

With the players listed and then Lowe we have 18. With 5 incomings as listed that would take us to 23. Two for every position. For us that is a great squad size. I don't want us to be swamped with players who we will never play and perhaps won't even make the bench. 

Have to say we have either done well in training or been extremely lucky not to have had many serious injuries where we have needed to use the back up players this season. Look at the red dawgs and QPR, both have suffered with big injury lay offs. If that happens to us next year lets hope any new back up players have the experience needed at this level. Otherwise we could struggle.

I agree with this, a long term injury to Martin could have killed our season

Sticking my head above the parapet;

The target this season was to finish in the play-offs , therefore the expectation was that we would not achieve promotion, thus the current scenario was planned for.

I am expecting a pretty well thought out plan and would have thought there will be some indication soon as to how we will be achieving automatic promotion next year. 

I don't envy Sam and the Board as they now have to step up to the plate and show ambition whilst keeping a strong hand on the finances

There is a lot to do:

1. Replace current loanees with equivalent
  2. Keep existing players
  3. Release crap 
  4. Add 2-3 quality missing cover players

That's the sort of ambition that will get you automatic promotion

Sticking my head above the parapet;

The target this season was to finish in the play-offs , therefore the expectation was that we would not achieve promotion, thus the current scenario was planned for.

I am expecting a pretty well thought out plan and would have thought there will be some indication soon as to how we will be achieving automatic promotion next year. 

I don't envy Sam and the Board as they now have to step up to the plate and show ambition whilst keeping a strong hand on the finances

There is a lot to do:

1. Replace current loanees with equivalent
  2. Keep existing players
  3. Release crap 
  4. Add 2-3 quality missing cover players

That's the sort of ambition that will get you automatic promotion

Agreed ^^ McClaren to stay and a couple of good quality foreign players too

You don't need a big squad, you need a settled squad, constantly chopping and changing is detrimental to any teams performance.

Once a manager has his ideal 16/17 then that should be it, baring any serious injury.

Agreed that's why I think we'll sign loan players and young players outside that 17.

We was close to landing Tim Varyrynen before Borussia Dortmund stepped in. I image we're still looking at that type of player.

Remember we scouted the Polish top 2.

Such a good position to be in.

Lets do same as Burnley, keep group small and capable of getting out of this division. If injuries do happen, there's always loan market.

Quality over quantity. So hopefully not too many back up players coming in, I want players who can make our first team better (about 16 players..) It really doesn't matter if they are loaned or not, just make sure they are good enough to get us promoted.

First team defenders should be able to play whole season as should GK and DM. It's those 3 attacking places which need most of the competition. At least that's how I woud build a team.

Again depends on budget, we have a squad of 17 players now baileys been realised. I'd say we need around 8-9 signings. This is assuming we have a decent budget (Sorry for the optimism guys)

I'd say:

Go all out for Thorne, even if if costs £3 million

Go for Harry Maguire maybe around £1 million

Get in 4 young talented premier league players on full season loan

Sign the couple of scouted players from Argentina

Sign 2 decent free agents. And we're all set.

How would you do it?

I will just leave it to Mclaren and his team to sort out and support who ever he brings in.

Totally, never heard of dawkins until he was brought in.

Turned out (for until he got injured) to be our best wide man.

Same for Thorne. never heard of him, yet now hes my favourite player and the one player who already looks premier league quality.

I look forward to Macca unearthing some more gems that half the football world is un aware of.

Which is the exact opposite of Billy, redknappy jewell etc who rather predictably love to break the bank on players you have heard of who are past their best.

Archived