Play-off Final: Derby County v Queens Park Rangers

CumbrianRam

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of those damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. Would have been very harsh to change the side that destroyed Brighton. And Bryson was perhaps the far most likely midfielder to change the game as a sub. People saying they wanted Bamford earlier...would probably have only moaned about his so called lack of work rate.

Was a tough call for McClaren on the day, what it was to actually have options though and he was just being consistent with his policy throughout the season. We shall never know what difference it would have made.

Nigel Clough would have got nowhere near a Championship play-off final mate.

No he got to a semi final of the FA Cup with a Div 1 side and scored 3 goals against a Premiership side at Wembley, and we have no idea what he would have achieved this season, with us.

McClaren made a huge mistake in not bringing Bamford on after 60 minutes. If he had I would have known 30 minutes earlier the game was a lost cause; could have left at that point, ambled my way down Wembley Way, back on the tube to Stanmore, straight out the car park and been home in plenty of time for Britain's Got Talent.

We didn't lose because of what McClaren did or did not do on the day. We lost because other than Thorne and Grant the rest of them bottled it. End of.

McClaren made a huge mistake in not bringing Bamford on after 60 minutes. If he had I would have known 30 minutes earlier the game was a lost cause; could have left at that point, ambled my way down Wembley Way, back on the tube to Stanmore, straight out the car park and been home in plenty of time for Britain's Got Talent.

We didn't lose because of what McClaren did or did not do on the day. We lost because other than Thorne and Grant the rest of them bottled it. End of.

I don't think you understand the term 'bottled it' if you think we did such a thing.

No he got to a semi final of the FA Cup with a Div 1 side and scored 3 goals against a Premiership side at Wembley, and we have no idea what he would have achieved this season, with us.

Give over, we consistantly lost more games than we won with Clough and in his nine games here this season that once again proved to be the case.

Why do people keep bringing out the 'what ifs' when it comes to Clough yet are so keen to write off managers like Phil Brown as failures.

We don't know that he couldn't have taken us to the Premier League either... Afterall, he took Hull City there a few years after we gave him all of 20 games or so.

I don't think you understand the term 'bottled it' if you think we did such a thing.

He's a troll, Bris - a good one, mind. Never posts anything except trollisms. Used to be Yankee Doodle on the DET site, I think - he's as good as YD anyway.

Same old fans are quite happy to bang on about beating Forest 5-0 etc but are soon to forget the main man that day and right up to the semi play offs when he picked up a niggle. Take away any of the 3 spine of our team players this season, Buxton, Bryson & Martin and I certainly think we miss them. And on Saturday we missed Bryson, without a shadow of a doubt, and if Nigel Clough had done the same thing, he'd of been getting dogs abuse on here. Let's just see where we are in 4 years from now, and if McClaren still can do no wrong and I suppose we don't have to watch Vicars & Rush on East Midlands News climbing up an hill and then basking in their own glory in a country pub after. Their are positives to being in the Championship, and I'm sure we will win more games than Q.P.R next season, and if that spine remains in place.

You only have to look at what happened to Forest when our key "spine" players got injured. From 5th to 11th like a stone.

Great shout about Nigel Clough too, have seen him get plenty of stick for such moves in the past.

You only have to look at what happened to Forest when our key "spine" players got injured. From 5th to 11th like a stone.

Great shout about Nigel Clough too, have seen him get plenty of stick for such moves in the past.

Alf - you may have been away for a bit but you know away fans aren't allowed in match talk unless we are playing their team.

People might think you actually care about us, or that you are in the wind up whining about injuries and talking nice about Clough.

Our best performance of the season was Brighton, with Hughes and Hendrick. There was no reason to drop either of them so unfortunately Bryson had to miss out. He's been one of our best performers the whole season but football is a cruel game, we know that. I believe a bigger mistake was not bringing Bamford on, but I'm not going to criticise. McClaren got us to an amazing position, he can do what he wants when we get there. 

Now let's move on and close the thread. 

Hark at our new members wanting threads closed.

Didn't you know...we like a good row on here.

So grab yer popcorn.

I won't even address this Clough crap. Give over...

But as for Bryson...Come on... We all knew that Mac had a midfield dilemma on his hands. If he'd dropped Hendrick and played Bryson and still lost, people would be saying we missed Hendrick. If he'd dropped Hughes for him and lost you'd have said we would have missed Hughes.

It's far too easy to point to the midfield selection, but we were unlucky. Some days you have it and some days you don't. You don't make your own luck sometimes. I know that as rational people we refuse to believe in such a thing as this magical luck, but it happens. At the Amex in the first leg of the semis, it was with us. One shot on target, two goals. A gift from the Brighton defender for the pen, and a lucky bounce off the keeper for the 2nd goal. At Wembley, that luck wasn't there. You only have to look to that Ward shot that hit Chris Martin to see that. That chance gives me nightmares because it was in, had Chris Martin not been in the way. If he was stood just an inch either side of that shot, we would have been one nil up.

I apologise for using Mac's favourite football cliche, but that's football. What can you do?

Not read all of the past posts to see if it's been mentioned but I think we might have beaten QPR had they not had a man sent off. It would have been narrow but we would have beaten them all the same.

PistoldPete2

Our best performance of the season was Brighton, with Hughes and Hendrick. There was no reason to drop either of them so unfortunately Bryson had to miss out. He's been one of our best performers the whole season but football is a cruel game, we know that. I believe a bigger mistake was not bringing Bamford on, but I'm not going to criticise. McClaren got us to an amazing position, he can do what he wants when we get there. 

Now let's move on and close the thread. 

Performance against Brighton was more to do with the fact they suit our style of play, like ours only not as good. Thats why we beat them 4 times out of 4.

Where we came unstuck is against teams who park the bus, Wigan , QPR, Millwall and Bolton. No goals in those games despite dominating some of them. We need to figure out a way of unpicking teams who play like that.

Are you lot still bleating (teehee) about this? 

You LOST. McClaren bottled it and you should put your support behind Dean Saunders after he comes through when Schteve takes the Soton job.

Deano only takes on managerial roles when clubs are staring relegation in the face. 

Keep a seat warm for him for when Pearce gets the shove in the new year, there's a good lad. :)

Archived