Scary fact

admira

Since 1994 just one play-off winner has overturned a semi-final first leg deficit.

Bolton Wanderers winning 2-0 at the Reebok in 1995 cancelling out a 2-1 first-leg Wolves victory to progress to a successful Wembley showdown.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So why is it an advantage to be away first?

Also, in the words of Han Solo- NEVER TELL ME THE ODDS. I don't want to know these disheartening stats  :ph34r:

When you consider how poorly 4th have done in the playoffs in the last 15+ years (1997 was the last time 4th was promoted from memory), there might be some connection there. 3rd should normally be capable of beating 6th away from home (or at least not lose), then go on to finish the job at home. 4th on the other hand have to face the team directly below them, away, and if they lose go into their home game with a significant mental disadvantage. Add to that they 4th is in many cases a failed automatic promotion chaser which may hit the playoffs significantly out of form and it might just make sense why they generally perform so poorly.

Playing away second is meant to be an advantage as you have your home fans to the finish line, including extra time and penalties if needed, but losing away can be a hammer blow.

It was. :)

Don't get too confident. We might have won, but we weren't the best team by any stretch, and Brighton will need to come out ready to overturn that scoreline. Even if it's been 21 years since a team managed it, that doesn't mean Brighton can't.

Don't get too confident. We might have won, but we weren't the best team by any stretch, and Brighton will need to come out ready to overturn that scoreline. Even if it's been 21 years since a team managed it, that doesn't mean Brighton can't.

Believe me I'm far from confident. I've been following sports 40 years. I've seen a lot. I trust only the end results.

Archived