is Bamford...

sage

PistoldPete2

Bamford's general plays probably is on a par with Conor Doyle but his finishing is amongst the best in the league.

Bam Bam had 1 goal and an assist against Forest, pus a good ball for Martin , onto Bryso for our 2nd.  Also was fouled for the pen. Having a hand in 4 of the 5 goals against Forest aint bad dont remember Conor Doyle having a  hand in any Derby goals TBH.

But agree he drifts out of games, loses the ball too easily  and is frustrating.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wisdoms a little off the ball at the moment, really think he needs to up his game if he wants a chance in a very strong liverpool side. Bamford for me doesnt contribute enough to our general passing play and gives the ball away in stupid positions of the pitch, usually resulting in a very unnerving counter attack from the opposition. I think with a bit of competition coming back in from Dawks and Wardy, he might have to try up his game to keep his place, definitely not ready for a chelsea side yet though, another season or two in a high end championship, low end prem team would be the best place for him, much like Wisdom.

Bam Bam had 1 goal and an assist against Forest, pus a good ball for Martin , onto Bryso for our 2nd.  Also was fouled for the pen. Having a hand in 4 of the 5 goals against Forest aint bad dont remember Conor Doyle having a  hand in any Derby goals TBH.

But agree he drifts out of games, loses the ball too easily  and is frustrating.

Agreed, and it's the losing the ball that really drives me nuts. OBE would be having a fit if he were on the touch line watching Bamford.

Wisdoms a little off the ball at the moment, really think he needs to up his game if he wants a chance in a very strong liverpool side. Bamford for me doesnt contribute enough to our general passing play and gives the ball away in stupid positions of the pitch, usually resulting in a very unnerving counter attack from the opposition. I think with a bit of competition coming back in from Dawks and Wardy, he might have to try up his game to keep his place, definitely not ready for a chelsea side yet though, another season or two in a high end championship, low end prem team would be the best place for him, much like Wisdom.

Do I know you?

One of the few joys of Saturday was sitting in the away end corner where we had a birds eye view of Wisdom and Bamford efforts at trying to defend as a pairing in first half. It's actually quite funny watching Bamford's headless chicken impression as he tries his best to track the left back, loses him, pirouettes beautifully, tries to catch up, loses him again, pirouettes again; then kids on he's deaf as he gets a roasting off the defence! Totally agree with view that Wisdom is restricted when Bamford is in front of him. Wisdom never knows whether to twist or stick and probably based on too many painful experiences of being caught exposed on the overlap when Bamford usually loses it, has given to mainly sticking.

One of the few joys of Saturday was sitting in the away end corner where we had a birds eye view of Wisdom and Bamford efforts at trying to defend as a pairing in first half. It's actually quite funny watching Bamford's headless chicken impression as he tries his best to track the left back, loses him, pirouettes beautifully, tries to catch up, loses him again, pirouettes again; then kids on he's deaf as he gets a roasting off the defence! Totally agree with view that Wisdom is restricted when Bamford is in front of him. Wisdom never knows whether to twist or stick and probably based on too many painful experiences of being caught exposed on the overlap when Bamford usually loses it, has given to mainly sticking.

Pretty much summarizes why Wisdom hasn't been playing as well as last year.

Agree about Wisdom.... Gone off boil quite a bit me thinks.... His distribution has been poor lately...... Cue posts about bringing Brayford back next season.

With Bamford though even though he looks like he isn't in the game. He's liable to be a match winner.

Wisdom has dropped off in the last few weeks. Feels to me like the last decent performance we had from him was against Wednesday. That said, he's only 21, and of a much better quality than anyone else we have for that position - would you really recall Freeman to play him ahead of Wisdom? Not on your nellie.

if you mean wednesday away then wasn't this around the time that Bamford began to start games regularly? I don't think it's necessarily all wisdom, he doesn't get much protection from Bamford thus he is exposed more/gets swamped by opposition wingers which leads to him making mistakes/being beaten by the winger?? 

sorry if this point has already been made - it appears it has

Absolutely not. He is a good footballer that is prone to wrong decisions, like most young players. For a 20-year-old that has played a lot of games this season, I would say he is quite influential.

If he was one of our own, rather than coming in on loan, he would be protected somewhat. Hughes, for me, is a better player but he is prone to similar mistakes. 

For me, it's not as black-and-white as saying Bamford should run around a lot more (the "headless chicken" approach), but it's more a concern that his flourishes of skill (which he undoubtedly has, albeit rather raw and unpolished) are not consistent or regular enough to make up for his lack of work rate and, as others have pointed out, lack of care when making simple decisions.

There's no doubt he has a wand of a left foot and has rescued some valuable points for us this season, but I'm worried that he doesn't do it often enough to excuse the other failings in his game. There are occasions where we can't afford to leave him on the pitch on the off-chance he'll pull a rabbit out of the hat because the tempo/style/score line of the game may necessitate a different approach (e.g: against Bournemouth when we were struggling to break them down, McClaren replaced him with Dawkins)

Of course he's only young and will no doubt go on to have a solid career (at the very least), so anyone writing him off at this stage is a fool.

He offers us very little, but the little he does offer us could be very important. That's the dilemma we're in with him.

Bamford seems to be the sort of striker that needs to be playing in a pair with a player like Martin. However our system is vital to our style so we cannot justify changing at present. There's no doubt that Bamford offers a lot, his general play can be sloppy, but at the same time he's not a natural in the position we are asking him to play, 

I honestly believe that if we had fewer injuries in that area then Mac would use him more as an impact player. 

In many ways Bamford is the exact opposite to Sammon, Bamford is lazy and sometimes sloppy with his play, but is often involved in the key moments in a game.

Sammon works very hard and does contribute to the team effort, but his pay is also sloppy and he is way behind Bamford in terms of key moments in games.  

Who is more valuable to the team out of the two? I know who I'd pick.

Loada ***** he is, send him back........

I like Bamford, gives his all, him.

Oh he's only gone and got himself another goal...

(Semi) Serious question. Would you bet your mortgage on him being an established Premier League player within next 3 years? Playing every week?

(Semi) Serious question. Would you bet your mortgage on him being an established Premier League player within next 3 years? Playing every week?

And taking it (semi) seriously, no I wouldn't bet my mortgage because it isn't worth betting and there aren't that many PL players who actually play every week anyway (or at least it seems that way).  But I would bet that by the time he is 23 he is playing for a PL club and scoring goals.  Maybe not Chelski if Mourinho is i/c but a PL club nevertheless.

As Sir Brian always used to say - look at what he can do rather than what he doesn't.  As a young player - young in life and football experience - he has come into a brand new club half way through a season, with new system, new players and new coaching, played in a position he's never played before, in front of crowds the like of which he has never seen before, in a standard of football he has never played before and still scored goals. Some of them have been superb

His goal last night was a good example of what he does completely naturally and was a very tidy finish under pressure from a defender.  It wasn't just a tap in as some are describing it.  That skill will be worth persevering with and developing and IMO will make him a PL player in the future. 

His goal last night was a good example of what he does completely naturally and was a very tidy finish under pressure from a defender.  It wasn't just a tap in as some are describing it.  That skill will be worth persevering with and developing and IMO will make him a PL player in the future. 

It was a tap-in, to be fair. The ball is played straight to his feet about 2 yards from goal. If that's not a tap-in, I don't know what is...   :lol:

It was a tap-in, to be fair. The ball is played straight to his feet about 2 yards from goal. If that's not a tap-in, I don't know what is...   :lol:

Yep, fair point Yorkshire. But

I haven't seen it on the telly but My memory of it was that he made a run across the goal to get to the ball, had a defender and goalie close to him and then deliberately angled the 'tap in' into the far corner away from the natural direction his run was taking him.

A 'tap in' to me is a player who knocks the ball into an unguarded net from two yards out.

I just think he's an instinctive goal scorer who, if he works hard on his game and his physical strength, could do well in the PL. If he doesn't then he will go the way of lots of other promising lads who get too much too early.

Archived