Good interview with Brett Wilson.

Curtains

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They should have come up with some cash in January if he really thinks that.

Nice bit of spin though :) ....

I assume the reason not spending big is FFP. Calling board to spend would be irrational if it is. We'll see it when the losses are announced, wouldn't be suprised we are close to 8 mil.

For example that swedish defender, who was on trial. Dyrestam (?) He was good enough for us but the deal wasn't right. Smells FFP all the way.

I assume the reason not spending big is FFP. Calling board to spend would be irrational if it is. We'll see it when the losses are announced, wouldn't be suprised we are close to 8 mil.

For example that swedish defender, who was on trial. Dyrestam (?) He was good enough for us but the deal wasn't right. Smells FFP all the way.

Yes, totally agree. All the more reason not to say that money is available if it isn't. I don't mind them spending nothing at all. In fact, that's what I expect. However, mixed messages confuse the situation. If there's no dosh available, then that hardly comes as a shock. I can't see what the point is [was] of pretending otherwise.

He's getting more vocal now because he's excited. Loads of people are like that now. I know a guy who has been a ST holder for 3 years, and I only just found out after all these years because he's only just mentioned that he's a Derby fan. It's just because there's so much more to say this season because we have a defined aim, something we haven't seen in recent years of mid-table finishes.

I can't be the only person who remembers what it was like in previous years trying to strike up a conversation about Derby County?

"Yeah... Derby... We're sorta.... well we're not ****.... But also not great either... yeah yeah, Nigel Clough and that... he's done a good job... sort of...."

I  gave up because I got distracted over the amount of times he said "Mac" - was he on a bonus per mention? It was in every paragraph, really off putting! 

On saying that, it's good for the owners to talk, even if they haven't got anything particularly incisive to say, as is the case here.

I'm surprised no-one has picked up on the fact that he admits that they were doing a search for a new manager whilst Cloughie was still the incumbent. Perhaps it is common knowledge but I don't recall seeing it anywhere before.

The quote is as follows and the relevant bit bolded:-

Clough was dismissed on the Saturday evening only hours after the Rams lost 1-0 at Forest. McClaren was favourite for the job with the bookies by Sunday night and was installed on the Monday.

On the decision to sack Clough, Wilson said: “If your on-field performance is lagging, you have to make some change.

“It is not just a matter of throwing money at the players. We were becoming increasingly to the view it was a matter of fresh eyes.

“Everybody respected and admired the legend of Clough. The name is obviously a huge name in this area and so bringing Mac in wasn’t done lightly.

Quite frankly, it wouldn’t have been done if we did not have the right guy and when we landed Mac, it was time.

“We certainly did a search. There were dozens of names put forward and reviewed but at the end of the day it was pretty clear. A unanimous choice, if you will, was Mac.”

I'm surprised no-one has picked up on the fact that he admits that they were doing a search for a new manager whilst Cloughie was still the incumbent. Perhaps it is common knowledge but I don't recall seeing it anywhere before.

The quote is as follows and the relevant bit bolded:-

Clough was dismissed on the Saturday evening only hours after the Rams lost 1-0 at Forest. McClaren was favourite for the job with the bookies by Sunday night and was installed on the Monday.

On the decision to sack Clough, Wilson said: “If your on-field performance is lagging, you have to make some change.

“It is not just a matter of throwing money at the players. We were becoming increasingly to the view it was a matter of fresh eyes.

“Everybody respected and admired the legend of Clough. The name is obviously a huge name in this area and so bringing Mac in wasn’t done lightly.

Quite frankly, it wouldn’t have been done if we did not have the right guy and when we landed Mac, it was time.

“We certainly did a search. There were dozens of names put forward and reviewed but at the end of the day it was pretty clear. A unanimous choice, if you will, was Mac.”

I noticed it but thought it wiser not to comment.

There were some real holes in their story around the "review" and the hiring process right from day one.

It looks like it's sour grapes from me but I honestly think I'd feel the same way if they got rid of McClaren in such an underhand and undeserved way.

Fire him by all means. Don't then look to rubbish every thing he did.

On the interview itself, I quite like him, he comes across alright, agree with Vulcan though, very excessive use of the MAC.

To be honest, I'd be more concerned if our owners had sacked the manager and *didn't* have anybody else lined up.

Exactly, shows it wasn't a knee jerk reaction.

Every business should have continuity plan, and at the end of the day sacking someone isnt a pleasant experience, but the future and ongoing progress of the club should come before sentiment no matter what the name.

Heard him on Radio Derby this evening, seems ok, just wish we had people who were football fans running the club (cue abuse) And also I just wish someone would remind him we are not a "franchise" as he mentions in the interview.

I don't accept the argument that they put in the maximum amount they were allowed to every year.

Has anyone told him that financial fair play hasn't started yet.

Archived