Nigel Clough

mcsilks

Nigel Clough  

127 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Personally I feel that Nigel stopped us doing a forest / leeds / portsmouth / wolves and free falling into division 1.  I feel that he could have got us into the playoff final or promoted, however I think it would have taken 3 or 4 more seasons.

It's been an interesting few years and I think you're right...

For me, Clough did well overall. I don't care at all what others think - just as they don't care what I think. He brought some delightfully skillful players to the Club and paid very little for them in relative terms. Like most managers, he got some wrong too.

McLaren has done really well to take us so far so soon. I hope 24 May gives us the promotion that he and the Team deserves, given that they finished 3rd. If they don't, we have still done better than I thought we would, irrespective of manager. We played some very nice football away from home this season under Clough and scored one of the great team goals in recent history. The jigsaw was nearly in place when he was sacked but not quite. I don't think we would have made such quick progress had he stayed but I think it would have come. Losing Brayford, Coutts and Hendrick in the close/early season didn't help his position at all

Since McLaren took over, we've progressed quickly with his additional coaching experience and positive outlook.

What's not to like about the overall contribution of these two and also the players, recent past and present?

So, from me, it's a thanks to all. And yes, that's pretty boring and non-confrontational. I suppose I'm a true fan though....

• Replies 833
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is no dispute who is the better coach.  However not a lot of managers could have done what Nigel did, he managed to keep us in this division, get rid of a lot of waste, some signings where utter junk, however he signed some good ones and has got the academy churning out the odd decent player.

Steve has had way more exposure to coaching and at very high levels, he came tinkered add a few and unleashed the potential.  Nigel is a decade away from ever being that good, however thank god he could do what he did as I expect other managers could not / would not.

There is no dispute who is the better coach.  However not a lot of managers could have done what Nigel did, he managed to keep us in this division, get rid of a lot of waste, some signings where utter junk, however he signed some good ones and has got the academy churning out the odd decent player.

Steve has had way more exposure to coaching and at very high levels, he came tinkered add a few and unleashed the potential.  Nigel is a decade away from ever being that good, however thank god he could do what he did as I expect other managers could not / would not.

Good point, they have totally different backgrounds. Steve has had a couple of decades of coaching at the highest level, Man United, European Cups, International, Abroad. Whereas Nigel came to us having no experience bar managing for a decade at the lowest level.

But that put him in a really good position to concentrate on developing home grown talent, spotting lower-league gems, working on a budget and creating an incredible team spirit, because they seem to me to be things you need in the world of non-league, and that's exactly what we needed to steady the ship. But he was tactically naive and his coaching was not the best, he's still got some development of his own to do before he's ready to take realistically take a team to the prem.

But, at Forest, Steve kind of proved he couldn't do what Nigel did.

So I think we've been incredibly lucky that we've been able to get exactly the right manager, at exactly the right time (give or take a couple of weeks), to do the jobs that we needed doing.

Tbf Boycie, if you had a look at any manager's list of purchased players you could have a good giggle.

They all get measured on money spent vs success achieved.

Nigel spent little and achieved stability. We're showing now that he could have achieved more if he wasn't tactically quite negative. Transfer record is fine imo

It seems they didn't believe him when he told them he'd built a squad capable of competing THIS SEASON, it seems they gave up on him

So given more time he might have pulled it off?

Jesus, how long was he in charge and how near to promotion did he ever come? Did we ever look like a promotion bound team?

Within weeks of his replacement we were rocketing up the league.

Thanks Nige and so long but ultimately I think you were holding back the team. It's not like you weren't given time - you were backed for years. We needed a change, and look how positive that has worked out.

Nonsense.

Take all of Clough's transfers and he will easily come out on top.

He signed some first class players and very few poor ones. Of course there are a few exceptions but generally speaking, he was very, very careful and very, very prudent.

Plain and simple. We would not be where we are now if not for Clough.

I guess you are simply 'fishing' as you and your little sidekick Daveo tend to do from time to time.

You're like a pair of naughty school children.

Agree he got us on good footing to challenge. And was very prudent in his transfer activity.

But his failing, and what led to his sacking. Is that he wasn't up to the actual challenge he prepared patiently for when it meant most. We had the team, just not the tactical nous to pull it off.

He's done well at the blunts no doubt, but his biggest challenge is next season, he's got a very workable budget according to blunt fans. And he will have expectations to do well.

The same could be said of Mac next season if it's not to be this season....

Why are you so anti-Clough? What has he ever done to you. There's a place reserved on the naughty step for you.

Well you've got a point, I was going to say wasted 3 years of my time watching Derby, but I don't want to pour more oil on the flames. I think everyone's calmed down.

Archived