Burnley v Derby County

sage

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having followed the build up on twitter and elsewhere, there does seem to be a healthy level of competition before this game and it all seems very mature and respectful.

Two similar clubs with similar histories enjoying a moment of footballing prosperity.

It's like we're both humbly grateful for some good times after a period of cack and purely just the prospect of playing each other is enough.

No name calling, no bragging rights. Just, let's see what your 11 men can do against ours.

I'm sure come 3pm Saturday it all goes out the window, but I haven't felt like this in a while.

It's good.

Having followed the build up on twitter and elsewhere, there does seem to be a healthy level of competition before this game and it all seems very mature and respectful.

Two similar clubs with similar histories enjoying a moment of footballing prosperity.

It's like we're both humbly grateful for some good times after a period of cack and purely just the prospect of playing each other is enough.

No name calling, no bragging rights. Just, let's see what your 11 men can do against ours.

I'm sure come 3pm Saturday it all goes out the window, but I haven't felt like this in a while.

It's good.

The feeling is mutual. I haven't looked forward to a game as much as this in a very long time, so much so, that I would gladly swap a win against you guys over a win to end 34 years of hurt against the Rovers. It makes for a fascinating game and one that will be open, two attacking teams going for it.

Prediction: Burnley 2-1 Derby Ings 33', 78' Martin 7'

The feeling is mutual. I haven't looked forward to a game as much as this in a very long time, so much so, that I would gladly swap a win against you guys over a win to end 34 years of hurt against the Rovers. It makes for a fascinating game and one that will be open, two attacking teams going for it.

What's the general opinion of David Jones up there?

Whenever I've seen him in the last few years he's looked a completely different player to the one we had back in 2006.

I remember him as a highly skilled but extremely one-footed player, very good passer, expert at dead balls (scored a couple of magnificent free kicks for us) who was a rather slim and a bit lightweight but could have a big influence in games. He stood out as a player who could make it higher up due to his skill.

I know he had some injuries but whenever he's played against us since I've hardly noticed he's even playing, often surprised at the end of a game to learn he was on the pitch.

Did you know Burnley Miners' Welfare sells more Benedictine herbal liqueur than anywhere else in the country?

Bet you feel better for knowing that.

No, but I'd probably feel better for drinking it.

(actually yes, I did know that - and Burnley FC are thought to be the only football club to have it on general sale on match days)

Just return shackell and we'll settle for a draw.

A friend of mine, whose husband wrote the article on ja606 I linked earlier in the thread (a guide to Burnley)

Are they South African (the mention of brai...)?  My wife's a saffer and we know quite a few around the midlands from various SA social groups.  And with one of them being a massive Derby fan I just wondered if it was him.

Archived