The demise of Forest

ladyram

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sticking by my original mid table prediction.

Once again that league table got too many views to early. It's still too early. But we're coming out of that stage where teams (all teams) get a bit more realistic about their strengths.

Half the football league starts off "playing good football". Couple of months in and it's gets edgy.

Pearce at least hasn't tried to do anything except his way. While hoofball is a style that can work to a certain point if you have the set up, it's limited and there's little point having players such as the two or three good young technical players you have.

Forest's strength will come from being hard to beat. Lose that discipline and it's goodnight.

Once again that league table got too many views to early. It's still too early. But we're coming out of that stage where teams (all teams) get a bit more realistic about their strengths.

Still way too early. There are 36 games to go yet!

Makes me laugh those that pay a lot of attention to the league table at this stage. Read on a Blackburn forum that despite their 'poor' start (their words not mine) they are only a few points behind Derby so they're not far away etc..

Ridiculous really, as after 10 games nobody is going to open up a 15 gap over the midtable teams. It's basic maths. Leeds United could be four points off top if they beat Reading later.

After 23 games last season, Derby only had a five point gap over Forest and nine points clear of Ipswich and Leeds. It's going to be similar this year, in that we will have to wait until January/February time for some clubs to see what type of season they will have.

I love the classic 'we're showing promotion form' after just five games also. Well no **** sherlock, half the league shows promotion form from a points average perspective so early in the season.

As for Forest, seven points from tough away games at Sheff Wed, Bournemouth and Wigan is a superb return. They're not playing well though, so I imagine they won't be able to keep it up and the inevitable loss is only around the corner.

Same goes for Charlton too, they've been poor in a few of their gamesthis season and are very fortunate to remain unbeaten. Like Blackpool last season, a good start but they'll drop soon.

Just had a quick look on their forum and found everyone moaning about their performances, this pretty much sums it up.

Lansbury is playing like a clown.[/size]

It must be difficult to run and kick a ball wearing them big shoes.

It's very early in the season. Results are obviously important but also how you're playing and momentum. On this basis there's no other team I'd back ahead of us at the moment. I'd certainly much rather be us than Forest right now.

Let's see where we both are around Xmas when everyone's played everyone.

I went on the forest forum the other day and read " you can usually tell what teams are going to be in the top 6 after 10 games" No Words....

Usually, you can. It's hard to disagree with that.

This time last season, the three that was top three in the division went on to get promoted - Leicester, Burnley and QPR (grrr).

The season before, the three that was promoted were in the top 10.

The season before that though, Reading (who won promotion) were 15th with 10 games gone. The other two were top six, mind.

I'm not saying it's a lost cause but if you're inside the top runners at this point then you're obviously doing something right, and if good enough, you'll keep it up. 

This time last season, the three that was top three in the division went on to get promoted - Leicester, Burnley and QPR (grrr).

The season before that though, Reading (who won promotion) were 15th with 10 games gone. The other two were top six, mind.

I'm not saying it's a lost cause but if you're inside the top runners at this point then you're obviously doing something right, and if good enough, you'll keep it up. 

Well on that evidence surely you can disagree with it? Promoted teams might have more of a correlation but not top 6, they will be several different positions at the end of the season. Like you say Reading were 15th after 10 games and correct me if i'm wrong Sunderland were at the bottom of the table around that stage and went on to win it? Watford last year started well after and then after the 3-2 defeat to us they bombed down the table.

Well on that evidence surely you can disagree with it? Promoted teams might have more of a correlation but not top 6, they will be several different positions at the end of the season. Like you say Reading were 15th after 10 games and correct me if i'm wrong Sunderland were at the bottom of the table around that stage and went on to win it? Watford last year started well after and then after the 3-2 defeat to us they bombed down the table.

I think it's a good indication, not the be all or end all, but if you're looking at hitting the 90+ point mark then a good start is imperative. The biggest indication is obviously the performances, you can't hide behind good results and poor performances forever. For example, I fancy Forest to frustrate teams and most of their wins to come by small margins. That's because they're solid defensively, defend well, but don't give much to their strikers. Assombalonga is a good, maybe great, goalscorer but if you don't give him a chance then he may as well be a road cone. The past three games have proven that.

I fancy us, Norwich, Forest and Watford to be in the top six at the end of the season with two of us occupying the top two positions. 

Quite a few teams have started well that I don't think will hold up. The likes of Wolves, Forest and Charlton have been quite fortunate on a few occasions.

Forest in particular were poor and clearly second best at Bournemouth and Sheff Wednesday yet came away with six points.

I still don't think 10 games is a great indication. Of course Norwich and Derby are bankers for a top six spot but I can't say the same for Watford, Forest or Ipswich for instance.

Also still can't get over this perception that 'nobody has run away with it yet' proving that it's a league with nobody to fear. These fans need to think about basic maths for a moment, obviously after 10 games nobody is going to open up a 10 point gap!

Two teams this season who have played well but not deserved the points necessarily is Reading and Brighton. The latter in particular have hammered a few teams stats wise but not won the game,.

Incidentally, Cardiff City on the other hand seemed to be under the cosh everygame and are plugging away gaining points.

Also still can't get over this perception that 'nobody has run away with it yet' proving that it's a league with nobody to fear. These fans need to think about basic maths for a moment, obviously after 10 games nobody is going to open up a 10 point gap!

Correct - Leicester pretty much ran away with it last season and they didn't hit top until xmas

You forgot the best example...

Weren't we third from bottom having lost to Tranmere 5-1 on Igor's debut???

I went on the forest forum the other day and read " you can usually tell what teams are going to be in the top 6 after 10 games" No Words....

I like Ambitious.

He's a sensible poster, just like me

Archived