time to rest Martin (and put him on intensive fitness regime)?

Mostyn6

er.... the title ^^^^

Is it time to give Chris Martin a break? He seems to have put on all the timber he worked off in pre-season. 

He's been largely awesome this season, but maybe it's time to think about a re-shuffle, something to surprise our opponents and freshen things up...

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

er.... the title ^^^^

Is it time to give Chris Martin a break? He seems to have put on all the timber he worked off in pre-season. 

He's been largely awesome this season, but maybe it's time to think about a re-shuffle, something to surprise our opponents and freshen things up...

He needs to step his game up that's for sure.

No. Integral to everything we do. Putting Sammon in instead would completely change how we would have to play - for the worse.

it's a squad game. No one player can be so indispensable or we will end up like our 2004 play off side that relied so heavily on Rasiak and failed when he was off form. At some point, you will need to send out a team without your preferred players. This is where the squad comes in to play.

I don't think Martin has been as integral in the last 6 games.

No. Integral to everything we do. Putting Sammon in instead would completely change how we would have to play - for the worse.

Hes been great for us but he's just falling over a lot trying to win free kicks and getting frustrated all the time. He is our focal point in attack. He's done well for us and I'd leave him in but as I say he needs to step his game up.

PS Lets not bash Wardy either Its not all his fault.

He's really trying hard for us.

Good point, if Martin gets injured we're f*cked.

And tbh I wouldn't put Sammon in the starting line-up. I'm tired.

I make no secret of not being a Sammon fan, however, the things he does do well is chase, pressurise and play in behind. In other words, nothing that Martin does.

You leave my man alone!

It's catches up with you more when you do the kebab diet. It's alright playing at this pace every few days when you're a lettuce muncher. Although Wisdom has had his moments. They all had a moment at Leicester and its to be expected that you can't play at the pace McClaren wants when you play every few days in a league this demanding. It's been virtually the same 10 or so lads out there every week. Only the two wide areas have the depth to make changes.

You don't get barred from all the pubs in a town by drinking fruit shoots.

Good point, if Martin gets injured we're f*cked.

And tbh I wouldn't put Sammon in the starting line-up. I'm tired.

Of course we aren't.

We could rest Martin for a game easy as we have 3 games in a week.

Sammon can do a job up front just as Wardy And Bamford and Russell could.

Use the squad.

Martin does need a rest, and personally Yeovil is a

Perfect game to do so. Also I think Sammon has played well comin off the bench so he deserves a game. I think if Martin could take a leaf outa sammons salad in the gym, he would benefit.

Wednesday away will need moving so we have just under two weeks off then. For me Sammon cannot play the Martin role, that's why we were poor last season as he tried to.

The poor play of Ward and Dawkins is a contributing factor of why Martin hasn't been on the scoresheet recently.

Wednesday away will need moving so we have just under two weeks off then. For me Sammon cannot play the Martin role, that's why we were poor last season as he tried to.

The poor play of Ward and Dawkins is a contributing factor of why Martin hasn't been on the scoresheet recently.

Is it their fault he misses penalties as well then. Must be Wardys fault he has to be blamed for everything including the thunderbirds kit lol. As for Dawkins it's funny how people have gone from raving about how good he was to slagging him off .

Personally I think Martins poor form is down to Martin himself but I think he will come good again hopefully

Don't see much difference in Martin's performances. I think we are playing slightly different and going a tad more direct. Chrissy Martin looked a world beater when we were keeping the ball, trying to coax the opposition out. We seem to be going for the killer pass or shot a bit more rather then the patient approach.

Plus, Forsyth's low driven crosses into the six yard area have dried up or are going too long. 

Martin is only a good player if the team is playing to his strengths. I think we need to step back a bit and slow it down. We have the players to keep the ball and frustrate teams, and Martin is the perfect foil for that type of game.

Archived