Players return

King Kevin

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This negative attitude towards Jamie Ward being ineffective is really starting to annoy me.

Jamie Ward should be playing every week. Competition is good but he is the go to man to create something.

He had a great game vs Brighton.

Two or three runs in the first half, one nearly ended goal from in a curling shot at the far post. He had a volley goalward bound blocked. People have criticised his set pieces and rightly so but Bryson was taking the majority.

Not to mention where did the goal come from? oh yeah Jamie wards mazy run and then being fouled before it was on a plate for Bamford!

Ward has took a lot of flak but you cannot drop him after a decent performance vs Brighton. And too say he was ineffective well I personally think that is very unfair.

Rant over.

Oh yeah he can't defend and won't and has a bad temper/attitude but he has been a very big part of our good play since Mclaren's arrival.

Really? Is, or was over the last few seasons?

When was the last time he created a goal? He didn't create on Saturday he got dispossessed and luckily Bamford was in the right place to put the ball away from 20 yards...would hardly call that a created chance personally.

Really? Is, or was over the last few seasons?

When was the last time he created a goal? He didn't create on Saturday he got dispossessed and luckily Bamford was in the right place to put the ball away from 20 yards...would hardly call that a created chance personally.

Ward got fouled not dispossessed?

This negative attitude towards Jamie Ward being ineffective is really starting to annoy me.

Jamie Ward should be playing every week. Competition is good but he is the go to man to create something.

Two or three runs in the first half, one nearly ended goal from in a curling shot at the far post. He had a volley goalward bound blocked. People have criticised his set pieces and rightly so but Bryson was taking the majority.

Not to mention where did the goal come from? oh yeah Jamie wards mazy run and then being fouled before it was on a plate for Bamford!

Ward has took a lot of flak but you cannot drop him after a decent performance vs Brighton. And too say he was ineffective well I personally think that is very unfair.

Rant over.

Oh yeah he can't defend and won't and has a bad temper/attitude but he has been a very big part of our good play since Mclaren's arrival.

Saying that Ward IS effective cos he has some selfish runs and nearly scores is like saying I'm a stud who pulls supermodels, after I once said hello to one and she walked away!

Ward got fouled not dispossessed?

Always likely to happen when running down a blind alley towards 2 or 3 defenders...although I will not criticise players for trying to make things happen, he just needs to be more aware of what is happening around him sometimes.

So back to the goals he has created or even chances he has created recently...

Always likely to happen when running down a blind alley towards 2 or 3 defenders...although I will not criticise players for trying to make things happen, he just needs to be more aware of what is happening around him sometimes.

So back to the goals he has created or even chances he has created recently...

You are correct.

He hasn't created many chances recently but we did play Leicester Chelsea and Wigan. I would argue none of the players did really. Bryson Martin Dawkins Hughes and Ward off the top of my head did very little in those three games.

I agree with you he has been poor but I don't think it's fair to pin it all on Ward when every other attacking player has been poor too.

Ward had a great spell to begin with under McClaren. He looked good vs Chartlon and then Doncaster. His formed then dropped but so did the entire team. I think like the rest of the team his form will begin to rise again after that good performance vs Brighton. I don't think it would be fair to drop Ward and Dawkins for Blackburn unless he is changing formation and starting with Martin and Bamford then I am open to change.

Rant over.

surprised he can run with your head half way into his colon, he has been so ineffective of late. he just doesnt seem to want to run half the time and then can be too greedy 

Am I the only one who thought Bamford left a lot to be desired from a defensive perspective?  Playing him against Blackburn would be a huge risk for me, as it leaves the fullback position exposed.

His ability to track a runner was non-existant.

He looks like a striker than a winger to me.

Looked good and composed when on the ball though.

My starting XI against Blackburn would be:

Grant

Wisdom           Keogh            Buxton            Forsyth

Eustace

Hughes                         Bryson

Bamford                                                    Russell

Martin

I would leave Dawkins and Ward out because they've seemed lightweight and ineffective in the last few games. Russell has more explosive pace so will cause havoc in the Blackburn defence (hopefully    :D ). Bamford deserves a start after his goal also. Dawkins + Ward can then be used as impact subs.

Is that a Rorschach test?

Am I the only one who thought Bamford left a lot to be desired from a defensive perspective?  Playing him against Blackburn would be a huge risk for me, as it leaves the fullback position exposed.

His ability to track a runner was non-existant.

He looks like a striker than a winger to me.

Looked good and composed when on the ball though.

You're probably right, but here we go again with this myth that a player's secondary role is more important than his primary role.

If Bamford scores the winner in EVERY game, but doesn't put a tackle in or defend, he is actually better than a forward player who runs around, gets tackles in and has no effect on the scoreboard, as he is effective in his primary job.

You're probably right, but here we go again with this myth that a player's secondary role is more important than his primary role.

If Bamford scores the winner in EVERY game, but doesn't put a tackle in or defend, he is actually better than a forward player who runs around, gets tackles in and has no effect on the scoreboard, as he is effective in his primary job.

But equally, if he isn't tracking back, and that contributes to us conceding a goal, then both jobs become equally relevant.

Got to get that balance right, especially when in this formation it leaves our fullbacks horrifically exposed. That worries me, especially with Forsyth..

But equally, if he isn't tracking back, and that contributes to us conceding a goal, then both jobs become equally relevant.

Got to get that balance right, especially when in this formation it leaves our fullbacks horrifically exposed. That worries me, especially with Forsyth..

I'm yet to see a goal conceded that was because a forward didn't track back, in spite of that bloke from Poland (or wherever he came from!)

The major problem with Jamie Ward (besides his inability over the dead ball) is when he has a one on one situation against a full back he has not got the ability to pass them. Especially if it's from the stationary position. There just is not a trick in the locker. Occasionally he goes passed a player when running at speed. At least I feel Dawkins will beat his man more often than not......

Does anyone know if Derby practise corners in training at all???

The major problem with Jamie Ward (besides his inability over the dead ball) is when he has a one on one situation against a full back he has not got the ability to pass them. Especially if it's from the stationary position. There just is not a trick in the locker. Occasionally he goes passed a player when running at speed. At least I feel Dawkins will beat his man more often than not......

Does anyone know if Derby practise corners in training at all???

Only before we play Leeds or Forest. Ask Jake.

Archived