Players return

King Kevin

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, picture this - a defending full back, with no help from the winger,  is up against an attacking winger,  with the attacking full back, on the overlap takes it past the defender, puts in a cross which is converted. 

You've never seen a goal scored in this way?

would never happen if the winger (potentially defending) kept his position, the potentially overlapping full back would not bomb forward for fear of his team-mate losing possession and leaving his fellow defenders exposed and outnumbered.

It's a basic psychology. In the same way having 11 men in the box defending a corner leads to more goals conceded than having 7 men defending it, and 4 players outside the box and further up the field, meaning opponents stay back.

The best example I can give of my first sentence is the first half of the opening game of the season last season against Sheffield Wednesday, we held our shape and never tracked back once, they only had one player in our half at a time through fear.

would never happen if the winger (potentially defending) kept his position, the potentially overlapping full back would not bomb forward for fear of his team-mate losing possession and leaving his fellow defenders exposed and outnumbered.

It's a basic psychology. In the same way having 11 men in the box defending a corner leads to more goals conceded than having 7 men defending it, and 4 players outside the box and further up the field, meaning opponents stay back.

The best example I can give of my first sentence is the first half of the opening game of the season last season against Sheffield Wednesday, we held our shape and never tracked back once, they only had one player in our half at a time through fear.

If you play him as a striker I have no problem with it. He is expected to be able to track back and support his fullback, as teams would soon identify that there is a weakness and exploit that gap.

If that is the case, why aren't we all still playing with 5 strikers like they did in the 50s?  Plus I don't subscibe to your theory that a less crowded box leads to less goals.  Surely, it gives players more room to attack the ball, meaning more opportunity to get a clear strike on goal?  If that is the case, why aren't managers adopting a winning approach and shoving more players forward for corners?

Can you remind me what the final score was against Sheffield Wednesday that day?

If you play him as a striker I have no problem with it. He is expected to be able to track back and support his fullback, as teams would soon identify that there is a weakness and exploit that gap.

If that is the case, why aren't we all still playing with 5 strikers like they did in the 50s?  Plus I don't subscibe to your theory that a less crowded box leads to less goals.  Surely, it gives players more room to attack the ball, meaning more opportunity to get a clear strike on goal?  If that is the case, why aren't managers adopting a winning approach and shoving more players forward for corners?

Can you remind me what the final score was against Sheffield Wednesday that day?

So you've made a judgement on Bamford's WHOLE game based on two substitute appearances, and you already know what his role is... amazing.

We finished the game with 4 strikers against Brighton and won. I wasn't around for the 50s so I cannot comment on that style of football, but it's still evident that the best teams have specific players for specific roles. A jack of all trades is a master of none. I'm yet to see some of the best forwards in the world shuffling around at left back, wasting their energy and end up blowing bubbles when trying to outrun a centreback on to a through ball!

The final score proves my point exactly. At 2 goals up, a change of tactic was employed, thus allowing the opponent into our half to attack....

I'm yet to see some of the best forwards in the world shuffling around at left back, wasting their energy and end up blowing bubbles when trying to outrun a centreback on to a through ball!

Drogba vs Barcelona semi final of the CL. He was everywhere. Rooney often tracks back helps.

So you've made a judgement on Bamford's WHOLE game based on two substitute appearances, and you already know what his role is... amazing.

We finished the game with 4 strikers against Brighton and won. I wasn't around for the 50s so I cannot comment on that style of football, but it's still evident that the best teams have specific players for specific roles. A jack of all trades is a master of none. I'm yet to see some of the best forwards in the world shuffling around at left back, wasting their energy and end up blowing bubbles when trying to outrun a centreback on to a through ball!

The final score proves my point exactly. At 2 goals up, a change of tactic was employed, thus allowing the opponent into our half to attack....

I have concluded that Bamford is not a player I would feel comfortable playing as a winger, as I don't believe he is one based on the number of times he let his full back run past him unopposed. He looks and plays like a striker, which is what he is claimed to be.

Just in the same way most people concluded that Dean Moxey wasn't a striker when he played up front.

It's all well and good saying that tracking back is not his primary role - I disagree. If he is played as a winger that's part of his job.

I reacted to the suggestions in this thread that we should be starting him in that role. My view is that wouldn't be a good idea. Just like I wouldn't employ Jeff Hendrick as a right back if I had other options.

How you finish the game and how you start it should be dictated by the game itself. If we won with 4 strikers on the pitch against Brighton, it doesn't mean we do that against Blackburn.

I wasn't around in the 50s either, but I can see that the norm of a 2-3-5 formation has died a death at the hands of those that realised that the formation that employs the tactics of building from the back proved to be more successful. Hence, coaches across the world adopted it.

I will point out that I do like the fact that we go for a win rather than accept a point, but Bamford is not a winger! :)

Drogba vs Barcelona semi final of the CL. He was everywhere. Rooney often tracks back helps.

Drogba was even selling programmes outside and, it is believed, that he flew the plane and drove the bus back to the airport.

He's no Bruce Dickinson (the Jake Buxton of metal) though.

Archived