What will he be remembered positively for?

Mostyn6

Nigel Clough - the positives.  

108 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Nigel has gone, there's no changing that! He's had his share of criticism, but perhaps not enough credit in terms of at least us (here) acknowledging the things he has done very well.

The current manager, and the President and the CEO, took no prompting to thank Nigel for the state he left the club, and in McClaren's case, he's yet to do an interview where he doesn't apportion credit to Nigel.

Now the dust has settled, and any concerns clouding previous ability to acknowledge the positive, It's now pretty easy in my opinion to see what Clough has done really well.

I think McClaren would be the hero should Derby succeed any time soon, but Nigel Clough has left a massive legacy with which to build success upon... So I ask, which of them will be seen as his greatest legacy?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Voted for the last option

For me, for all his failings and limitations, he stopped us from falling into abyss. He steadied the ship, kept us in the division whilst slashing costs and did manage to bring in a decent amount of talent (as evidenced from recent results which we all knew were possible).

He had to go in my eyes, and probably should have sooner, as he was tactically naive and negative, made far too many enemies through stubborness and had simply turned the club stale.

So whilst I thank him for what he did, he outstayed his welcome by a year or two, and the change simply had to happen.

Why does he have to be remembered for only one thing? Nigel built the current squad up from its foundations and that's what he should be remembered for. He brought the club back from the brink of ruin and then continued on to build an outstanding squad on a limited budget which has a real sense of spirit within it. He made some shrewd and astute signings and nurtured young talent like Hughes and Bennett. He (almost single-handedly) built this squad of players we have now.

McClaren now can hopefully take the team over the finishing line and win us promotion.

I just wonder what Nige thinks now.

Speculation:

Is he happy that the club are doing well?

Is he bitter and perhaps feels he was on the verge of having this push for promotion?

Is he bitter that he wasn't given the same support?

He'll probably say he's 100% focused on Sheff Utd, but there are a lot of waking hours to think about Sheff Utd as well as 'What ifs?'

I would vote for all of them.

McClaren must be thanking his lucky stars. Unlike the Forest job where he walked into a disaster zone, he inherited a good team with tons of spirit and togetherness. All he had to do was a bit of positive coaching and fix the couple of weak spots with some quality loans.

Few new managers get that luxury - most face an immediate rebuilding job (like NC did post Jewell)

I just wonder what Nige thinks now.

Speculation:

Is he happy that the club are doing well?

Is he bitter and perhaps feels he was on the verge of having this push for promotion?

Is he bitter that he wasn't given the same support?

He'll probably say he's 100% focused on Sheff Utd, but there are a lot of waking hours to think about Sheff Utd as well as 'What ifs?'

I wonder that too.

I imagine he tells himself that he would have done well out of the fixtures after Forest too. Because we were doing well away and the games got easier at home.

I don't think he'd do this well though.

For me it's the signings he left behind.

Although he may have contributed to the financial state of the club, the budgets are set by the owners and NC had to operate within them parameters.

In terms of the youngsters I believe most of them were already here before Clough joined but may be wrong. Although he has done well to bring some through to the team, the praise for development must be shared with the academy.

Honest attitude of the squad, I think this comes about from the type of players he signed and maybe the scouting network had much to do with this?

The rot that threatened to ruin the club? This was all psychological in my opinion, we have never really be in that bad a state well certainly no worse than positions that we have been in before.

...I don't. I remember him for the numerous beneficial things he did for the club. :rolleyes:

in five years, I'll mention him and you'll think of one first thing, you can ONLY think of 1 first thing!

Like now, I mention Billy, the first things is....?

quit moaning FFS! Nobody forces you to read anything, and obviously you haven't read the thread.

You didn't give me the right 'vote' option, therefore I am disenfranchised.

It's a bit like the General Election - only once have we ever had a Monster Raving Loony candidate in my constituency.

in five years, I'll mention him and you'll think of one first thing, you can ONLY think of 1 first thing!

Like now, I mention Billy, the first things is....?

My point is a lot of the options in the poll are combined for me, into one. He stabilised the club and then progressed and built an incredibly strong squad; and that's what I'll remember him for. :)

Archived