January

Phoenix1

Appleby has said there is money for January. Don't know how much. I want Mcclaren to sign some foreign players, he has connections in Netherlands and Germany after all. There certainly are bargains in the Eredsville.

Where do you think we need to strengthen?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think we need to change anything right at this moment in time.

Obviously happy with the midfield and the strikers. Maybe a young CDM to nurture for next season?

Defence and Granty look a lot stronger but that would be where I'd strengthen if I had to. I'd bring in another 'keeper, a LB and a permanent back-up CB.

I just want to join in with the deadline day fun.

February 1st, my mates who are football fans always ask the same question, and they always get the same response.

"alright Duracell (that's not my real life name by the way, it's just poetic license), we got 12 strikers on loan from Real Madrid, we signed van der Vaart for 10p and a packet of monster munch, and we nearly brought Thierry Henry out of retirement after he was spotted at our training ground but the deal fell through due to him failing his medical with an in-growing toe nail. What did Derby do?"

"Sod all apart from loaning out Conor Doyle to Alabama Explosion".

FFS. I want spice, action, confusion, clueless and talentless SSN reporters reporting live outside Moor Farm with a dozen locals with nothing better to do waving in the background.

Is it too much to ask?

I get the impression that McClaren will always be trying to improve.

Where Nigel would get a group together and stick with them. Until they became a consistent weak link or whatever I just don't see anyone as being safe under McClaren.

Not that he's a tyrant.

Do you know what I mean? I think all the players are going to feel like the manager WILL replace them if better is available. And I think he will. Nobody is safe. It just depends what's out there.

Which if you're a player at Derby you're going to constantly be on your toes. Head down. Playing your best stuff every week you possibly can.

No favourites. It doesn't matter who our best player is. If there's a better option then we go for it.

Where Nigel seemed to prefer the approach where you replace your weakest players and progress like that up through the team sheet

I don't think there will be much business in January, but definitely one or two.

Goalkeeper - well stocked.

Defence - perhaps a permanent CB, and another left back.

Midfield - I think it will be hard to find another Eustace, a very shrewd signing - a true leader. On the wings, perhaps - we know that Dawkins is more or less guaranteed to sign.

Strikers - well stocked, again. 

Appleby has said there is money for January. Don't know how much. I want Mcclaren to sign some foreign players, he has connections in Netherlands and Germany after all. There certainly are bargains in the Eredsville.

Why foreign players? Why not young English talent?

Yes we need cover at left back or better still an improvement even though Forsyth is looking the part now and his crossing is premier league standard

After that we have to look at the defensive midfielder position. For this season I think we have enough with Eustace, Cisse and Hendrick covering and I don't think its essential to bring someone in January. However its pointing to that. Cisse was only extended till January even though he could have been given longer and Eustace is at an age where he can't play every week. Its possible that they were just buying some time until Hendrick was fully fit but I suspect there is some substance to the rumours about Jack Cork. I think Hendrick will rotate with Hughes and Bryson rather than play as a defensive midfielder 

McClaren has learnt from Sir Alex Ferguson that you have to constantly refresh your team, only one or two at a time or you'll lack continuity.

I wouldn't like to say at the moment where we should strengthen cos I have no idea how far Steve McClaren thinks he can take the current players.

The trajectory of improvement at the moment is very impressive, but every player will hit a ceiling at some point, and it's down to McClaren to spot that ceiling and then if that player is adequate for where he wants us to be.

Where's Eredsville?

Seriously though, he could sign players from anywhere, as long as they improve what we have.

I doubt we'll sign a keeper- Grant is now finding his form and Legzdins has returned from injury and we have Saul Deeney for emergencies.

I think we'll get Keane on loan until the end of the season. Also a new LB, could be either loan or permanent. Parr has been mentioned.

Possibly a new CDM- Cork would be amazing (if unlikely).

Dawkins on a permanent looks more and more likely.

If Sammon leaves, then I think we'll buy a new striker also. Bennett isn't quite ready yet and while I would love to see Russell in a striker's role it won't happen as it doesn't fit our play-style at the minute. He is better suited to the wings and cutting inside.

We don't need much for me it's a case of seeing who is out there and if we can get any bargains. The people in the know expect some movement because of the world cup a lot of players now on the bench will want to start kicking the ball on a saturday to make sure they are going so good players might filter down a bit

Still think we need someone who can take a freekick and corner.

I don't think there will be much business in January, but definitely one or two.

Goalkeeper - well stocked.

Defence - perhaps a permanent CB, and another left back.

Midfield - I think it will be hard to find another Eustace, a very shrewd signing - a true leader. On the wings, perhaps - we know that Dawkins is more or less guaranteed to sign.

Strikers - well stocked, again. 

The places I still see an issue if we have suspensions is the Bryson/Hughes role. Whether Hendrick could play here effectively I'm not sure it seems that McClaren sees him more in the Eustace role. Coutts is good cover but he could be a while yet.

I don't think we are well stocked for strikers for Martins position. I don't think Sammon can do Martins job and I think he is the player we'd miss the most if he got injured. Sammon is a good impact sub but hes not a like for like replacement for Martin in my eyes.

If we can't re-sign Dawkins then we will have to go in for another winger.

LB cover would help.

Doubt Cisse will have his contract renewed which ends in January.

Therefore another CDM for when Eustace is not fit or is tired. 

If Chris Martin gets injured we will need a target man desperately. 

Archived