January

Phoenix1

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whats wrong with Hendrick?!

Hendrick isn't a defensive midfielder, we saw last season he is at his best when 'bombing' forward, demonstrated by the goals he scored. He isn't a hard tackling, defensive minded player like Eustace. Hendrick should be challenging with Hughes and Bryson for the CAM role.

The places I still see an issue if we have suspensions is the Bryson/Hughes role. Whether Hendrick could play here effectively I'm not sure it seems that McClaren sees him more in the Eustace role. Coutts is good cover but he could be a while yet.

I don't think we are well stocked for strikers for Martins position. I don't think Sammon can do Martins job and I think he is the player we'd miss the most if he got injured. Sammon is a good impact sub but hes not a like for like replacement for Martin in my eyes.

Spot on mate without Martin we are knackered .I have watched him closly over the last 5-6 games ,he takes a lot of punishment and he is pivitol to our current game .Without him we would struggle IMO.

Spot on mate without Martin we are knackered .I have watched him closly over the last 5-6 games ,he takes a lot of punishment and he is pivitol to our current game .Without him we would struggle IMO.

I think we saw a preview of what it would be like without Martin against Boro as he was really off his game and nothing stuck to him.  Therefore we missed his clever balls round the corner to Dawkins, Ward & the fullbacks.  I quite like Sammon as he does offer something different late in games but out current formation would be shot with him instead of martin as the fulcrum.

CB - We need to sign a centre back for cover and to compete with Buxton/Keogh whether that be on a permenant or loan basis, dont mind

Left Back - Would love to see Parr come in, always reminded me of a left-sided Brayford, loan with a view to a permanent would do me, unless he's available on the cheap

CDM - depends on how McClaren views Bailey and Cisse, if he thinks he can develop bailey enough to have him pushing Eustace for the start. However, if we really want to push and develop our squad, Jack Cork would be a fantastic signing

WInger - Dawkins is a must sign, should be relatively cheap aswell

ST - If the right offer comes in for Sammon i would say let him go, good bench player but couldn't play the Martin role, were he to get injured. I would want to bring in another striker in the Martin mould, not quite sure who, maybe that Macheda from man utd, did okay at doncaster and still young, definitely got potential. Another name i would throw into the mix is Ebanks-Blake, who is a proven goalscorer at this level and would be available on a free

ST - If the right offer comes in for Sammon i would say let him go, good bench player but couldn't play the Martin role, were he to get injured. I would want to bring in another striker in the Martin mould, not quite sure who, maybe that Macheda from man utd, did okay at doncaster and still young, definitely got potential. Another name i would throw into the mix is Ebanks-Blake, who is a proven goalscorer at this level and would be available on a free

Can't just claim we need a similar player to Martin and then name two players who aren't

Can't just claim we need a similar player to Martin and then name two players who aren't

i would say Macheda is fairly similar, but like i also said not sure who, as there aren't too many strikers that i can think of at this level in a similar mould

Also, i meant Ebanks-Blake as an additional striker, maybe if sammon were to go, to keep us with something of a threat from the bench and the option to change it up and go more direct

I'd like us to sign another winger as well as Dawkins, or have Jacobs back in the squad, because I think Mason could do with a short loan til March. Enough to give him a run in a professional football team, but not so many that he burns out.

I agree about letting Sammon go. We still need a striker with impact off the bench though. We need to find the new Pesch...

if it secures the Premier League 'cash-cow', which means we have to be in a really good position with a chance of automatic in my opinion, I doubt there's a limit.

I can see it being more of a case of McClaren and Evans wanting a specific player (or specific players) and not a specific amount of money.

Tricky really, if you're loitering around the play offs then January is important but I think our significant incomings have already arrived in Wisdom Dawkins and Keane. Making sure the latter two are available for the rest of the season will be key. Other than that I can't see anyone coming in unless they'll significantly better the team and they're a reasonable price (unlikely in jan). Maximum of one or 2 incomings for me, I'd hate to disturb this squad's current momentum. Though a left back to provide cover/ challenge the rejuvenated Forsyth could prove necessary.

Would anyone say that Ball could be developed to fit the Martin mould? Same kind of body type, young, seems capable of scoring a few goals and has experience in the lower leagues following his loan spells...

Yes, hes no where near as good, but, perhaps with the right coaching etc. he could make the step up to come off the bench when Martin's getting tired. Plus, seeing as he is so young and has barely played for us over the past few years, he'd relish the opportunity of being able to sit on the bench and wait for an opportunity to impress.

With other positions:

- I think Dawkins would be a good signing IF we can get him for less than £250k...

- Getting cover in for left back is probably high on the agenda (haven't seen Keane play there and the youth players we have shouldn't be expected to cover). Forsyth is playing well now but a heavy tackle or a slight knock over the busy christmas/new year period and we'll be seen as really weak down that left hand side...

- How long have we got Keane for? Having that extra CB as cover and competition is imperative... as mentioned in other posts, Keogh and Buxton have really come on as a partnership since their position has come under threat... if Keane is that competition for the rest of the season that would be great!

Archived