Current Squad - Their quality as championship level players

sausagemeat

As we know McClaren has a 2 ½ year plan to be in the prem.

Getting out of the championship by way of automatic promotion is very difficult and a particular quality level of squad is needed.

To try to look at the reality of the situation of our current squad quality I thought it may be interesting to evaluate our current players - rating them for their current playing standard at championship level only of either

Poor

Average

Good

Very good

Personally I think any team that gets automatic promotion needs a nucleus of the following quality of player.

The Starting 11 -Whilst ideally wanting 11 x very good players the reality is that doesn’t happen, most teams that do well would probably have -  3 x average + 4 x good + 4 x very good players at championship level.

The subs - 1 x very good (been injured) 3 x good + 2 x average = 1 x poor / average (You always get a player the crowd don’t like but the manager seems to like)

I would rate our team / squad as follows ,

These are not ratings for yesterday’s performance, they are my ratings for their overall quality at championship level - some are given a cross over rating as say poor / average as some games they raise or drop their level of performance

Team v Brum

Their quality level as players in the championship, I have tried to be as fair as possible in my reckoning,

Grant - average

Wisdom - Too early to tell - looks good technically - could be very good

Keogh - average

Buxton - average

Forsyth - poor / average

Eustace - average / good

Bryson - good / very good

Hughes - Reality - average / good - potentially - good / very good

Ward - good

Dawkins - Too early to tell ?

Martin - average

Subs v Brum

Morch - no idea

Freeman - poor

Smith - poor / average

Jacobs - average - always looks like having promise

Bennett - average - at this stage for a young player

Sammon - poor

Ball - Poor - at this stage

To come back

Barker - good - if he ever recovers and plays to the level he could which is doubtful at his age.

Coutts - average / good

Russell - average - not really seen enough to be fair and played out of position

Davies - average - at best

O’Brien - average /good - showed potential

Hendrick - average / good - can look good

My conclusion is that McClaren has a tough job at this stage as we lack a few good and very good championship players in the team and squad at the moment .

We have to many poor,  or poor / average and average players in the team and squad to make a serious challenge for automatic promotion.

Are my ratings fair ?

Do we need about 5 or 6 better players adding  ?  

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Grant - average

Wisdom - average/good

Keogh - average

Buxton - average

Forsyth - poor

Eustace - good (Current form)

Bryson - Very good (One of the best players in the league)

Hughes - good

Ward - good

Dawkins - average/good so far

Martin - good

Subs v Brum

Morch - no idea

Freeman - poor defending, average attacking

Smith - average

Jacobs - good whenever he's been given a chance

Bennett - average

Sammon - Very poor

Ball - poor

To come back

Barker Hopefully good

Coutts - average

Russell - good

Davies - average

O’Brien - poor/average

Hendrick - good/very good

My opinion - Only major problem with the first 11 is the left back. We have THE best midfield in the league when Hendrick is fit (Slighty biased but oh well) and our attack is up there with the best (the amount of goals we score supports this). Our squad is still really young and will continue to improve. McClaren has got a much easier job than most Championship managers, he's taken over a club that has a player worth 10 million +, a team with really low wages in relation to other teams (Not forced to sell anyone to lower wage bill) and he has a team of youngsters who can only get better

Grant - average

Wisdom - Very good

Keogh - average

Buxton - average

Forsyth - poor

Eustace - good

Bryson - Very good (One of the best players in the league)

Hughes - very good

Ward - very good

Dawkins - averag

Martin - good

Subs v Brum

Morch - no idea

Freeman - average

Smith - average

Jacobs - average

Bennett - average

Sammon - Poor

Ball - poor

To come back

Barker - good?

Coutts - average

Russell - good

Davies - average

O’Brien - average

Hendrick - very good

Think the OP is very harsh in ratings of Martin and Bryson in particular

For me:

Grant - average/good

Wisdom - good

Keogh - poor/average

Buxton - average

Forsyth - poor

Eustace - good

Bryson - v good (excellent in fact)

Hughes - v good

Ward - good/v good (when he plays for the team!)

Martin - good

Dawkins - average

What talking about the quality of our squad ? what do you want to do ? not discuss it ? get your head out of the sand ffs !   

But whats the point ? why have you thought to do this now ? We are 8th in the league and the majority of the time play good football. Yes some of the players are out of their depth and not 'promotion type players', but i'm sure that Macca is looking to change that. I don't think the squad is that bad. Maybe a few changes and we are a 'play off' team.

just seems like a negative post for no reason. 5-6 players away from challenging ? I think more like 2-3.

p.s I don't have any sand to put my head in

I must have watched a different Bryson. Apart from this season since Hendrick has been injured I used to watch him and Jeff run around chasing shadows. Most lightweight midfield you'd see in a team that barely ever won the majority of possession.

He looks the part now but before this I thought he was just decent/average.

Top Championship players that you'd expect in a top 6 side

Ward

Hughes

Martin

Lower midtable players that you'd only see in a top 6 side struggling to keep up;

Forsyth

Sammon

O'Brien

Doyle

Bavies

Everyone else looks like they would be found around midtable and should their team go up or down they'd find themselves eventually back in the Championship.

Special mentions to Hendrick and Bryson who in top form look like they could be top end quality. But they need more consistency and they've had injuries at key times.

Hughes while has perhaps drifted off a bit I think it's because he's often expected to do so much. The lad is classy.

But whats the point ? why have you thought to do this now ? We are 8th in the league and the majority of the time play good football. Yes some of the players are out of their depth and not 'promotion type players', but i'm sure that Macca is looking to change that. I don't think the squad is that bad. Maybe a few changes and we are a 'play off' team.

just seems like a negative post for no reason. 5-6 players away from challenging ? I think more like 2-3.

p.s I don't have any sand to put my head in

It wasnt meant to be a negative post - it was meant to simply discuss the next 2 and a half years plan set out by McClaren !! you even agree we need more quality in the squad !! thats the whole point !!!! if you think we only need 2 to 3 players in our 18 man first team squad to achieve automatic promotion you are deluded.   

Think the OP is very harsh in ratings of Martin and Bryson in particular

For me:

Grant - average/good

Wisdom - good

Keogh - poor/average

Buxton - average

Forsyth - poor

Eustace - good

Bryson - v good (excellent in fact)

Hughes - v good

Ward - good/v good (when he plays for the team!)

Martin - good

Dawkins - average

I rated Bryson as good to very good - is that wrong ?

I rated Martin as average - is he better than that ? if he is why have higher clubs not been interested in him ?

get real ffs

Archived