Current Squad - Their quality as championship level players

sausagemeat

A cursory glance through the thread shows you've told one person to 'get their head out of the sand, FFS', one to 'get real' and one that 'you are deluded', comments which I find always stimulate intelligent debate amongst a group.

Works for me.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think most of them are good enough to be honest, if not all of them - at least to hold their own at this level.

This league isn't great - I'm yet to see a worse performance by anyone in our side as bad as Kevin Doyle mucked in last season for Wolves, or that youth at Yeovil earlier in the season.

Not to mention the Watford back-line, they made ours seem world-class! 

Again I think some people are harsh on Hughes

Overrated then underrated because he's not as good as he was hyped.

I think he's better than any other midfielder at the club. I worry about how much is expected of him.

People note his bad passes and they expect such a lot.

Before he came along do you remember how teams used to enjoy possession? Bryson and Hendrick chasing the ball and unable to win it? We'd be behind and struggle to get the ball back and then when we did we'd only have Ward to initiate an attack and sometimes we'd give it straight back.

You got comments on here how we needed some experience, strength.

I agree with Utch about players look better if they have the right players around them. Bryson, Hughes and Martin seem to have something good going.

You saw on Saturday what it is like when Martin is not on it. He lost possession a lot and Bryson looked like he used to where he's more of a support/back up player than the spark he has been recently.

Martin benefits from Bryson's support because let's be honest he'd rather win a free kick and get in the box than run far.

Hughes is the only one who I think can do what he does in any team. He retains the ball so well. He has it in him to pick tempo and like his ball for the winner at Watford and his scoop pass to put Bryson through on Saturday, if you have possession and men forward in the final 3rd he can create.

I've said before its ridiculous to compare him to Xavi. I can't help it though because he's the perfect model playing in a perfect suited team. He draws on vast experience to control the pace and aggression that Barca play at. And when Barcelona have you pinned back he can come forward and really hurt you.

Again I want to stress that Im not calling Hughes the next Xavi. Just he's the best and most famous player of that breed.

Hughes can use what he has much better than what he does. Sometimes I think he doesn't do himself justice. But it's what he's got that people want.

It's all the "Barcelona have scouted him" stuff that people are looking at him wondering how he's good enough to play at the top of the PL and in the Champions League if he's only a bit part player for Championship Derby.

Overrated and underrated.

Best player

I think most of them are good enough to be honest, if not all of them - at least to hold their own at this level.

This league isn't great - I'm yet to see a worse performance by anyone in our side as bad as Kevin Doyle mucked in last season for Wolves, or that youth at Yeovil earlier in the season.

Not to mention the Watford back-line, they made ours seem world-class! 

Good point, attacking wise they are good, but they are leaking in goals which unless addressed will cost them at the very least, an automatic place.

The starting 11 with Russell fit, will score goals. The stats prove that.

Our problems are simple. 1. Defensively we're very poor (not one of our back 5 is a top 6 player) and 2. Our squad, when hit by injuries, isn't good enough.

TBF to McClaren, he's realised this and done what he can with out the benefit of a transfer window.

Wisdom is there to assist the defence and can cover 4 of the 5 positions at the back, and the two trialist/loans are here to inflate the squad and protect likes of Bennett from carrying the slack left by Russells absence.

Makes sense to me. As I've said, 2 transfer windows and we'll be in and amongst it.

The starting 11 with Russell fit, will score goals. The stats prove that.

Our problems are simple. 1. Defensively we're very poor (not one of our back 5 is a top 6 player) and 2. Our squad, when hit by injuries, isn't good enough.

TBF to McClaren, he's realised this and done what he can with out the benefit of a transfer window.

Wisdom is there to assist the defence and can cover 4 of the 5 positions at the back, and the two trialist/loans are here to inflate the squad and protect likes of Bennett from carrying the slack left by Russells absence.

Makes sense to me. As I've said, 2 transfer windows and we'll be in and amongst it.

Can't disagree too much with you tbh. Are you an amateur boxer Troy ?

Then pick one or two players at a time - what are their attributes in your view? what do you see as their failings, what can be done to improve them, how do they fit into the systems, from your position in the stands do they have an awareness of what is happening around them, do they have any pace (do they need any), if you don't feel that they are what is needed do you think they can be sold (is there a market for them) - or you could just analyse them with one word if you want :)

Why should I post what you tell me too post ? why should I post in the format to you tell me too  ? 

The answer is simple - I will post what I feel and in the format I feel best - OK  !! 

A cursory glance through the thread shows you've told one person to 'get their head out of the sand, FFS', one to 'get real' and one that 'you are deluded', comments which I find always stimulate intelligent debate amongst a group.

You missed the abuse that was deleted. That was lovely too.

You missed the abuse that was deleted. That was lovely too.

When I saw you had posted last I knew instantly it would be a dig of some description.

I have not had any abuse deleted whatsoever , check with the moderator and that will be confirmed.

Which clearly makes you a liar - however you being a liar is no surprise to me at all as the type of person you are clearly shines through in your constant sniping posts. 

You could apologise for lying but I doubt you will as it would take a man to do that.

This is a pretty pointless thread. I think a more interesting discussion would be which players are capable of playing in the Prem.

IMO Bryson, Hughes, Martin and Ward are there.

I'd add Hendrick to that if he was fit again and playing his best,

I think the thread was started to show how necessary it is for the Board to make funds available to improve the squad overall. They can't expect miracles :)

When I saw you had posted last I knew instantly it would be a dig of some description.

I have not had any abuse deleted whatsoever , check with the moderator and that will be confirmed.

Which clearly makes you a liar - however you being a liar is no surprise to me at all as the type of person you are clearly shines through in your constant sniping posts. 

You could apologise for lying but I doubt you will as it would take a man to do that.

So what happened to the abusive post you made?

I do also enjoy you being abusive whilst denying being abusive.

So what happened to the abusive post you made?

I do also enjoy you being abusive whilst denying being abusive.

You wer lying , you know it - I have not had anything deleted.

Anyway I'm moving on as you are making this about you and me which I'm sure no one wants to see or cares about  - its a forum to discuss DCFC not us. 

COYR

You wer lying , you know it - I have not had anything deleted.

Anyway I'm moving on as you are making this about you and me which I'm sure no one wants to see or cares about  - its a forum to discuss DCFC not us. 

COYR

I'm interested :) am getting bored of Mostyns WUM posts now and am always on the look out for entertainment from other quarters

I'm not going to give my opinion of any of the players (I've never "seen" any of them play), but everyone seems to have forgotten something very important. The new coaching staff. Either 90% of the players are going to improve to some extent, or else we should never have got rid of the last lot!

You had a post hidden by a mod. Perhaps a quick apology for calling sage a liar and we can all go to bed feeling warm and fluffy with each other. :wub:

Archived